• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1972 auto trans & 9" axle for 3spd toploader &8"axle

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
None
Hi all I'm trying to return a 1972 coupe back to it's original setup.

Currently the car has been modified with an auto transmission (not sure if it is a FMX/C4 or C6). I'll find that out once I get eyes on the car.

If your car has the 302 2V engine (F code) and has a manual 3 speed transmission (1 code) built in March 1972 (xxC code) and would be interested in trading the 3 speed manual transmission for this automatic transmission let me know. The transmission plate should read RAN CA 1 for a transmission built after december 1st 1971.

Secondly from what I am given to understand the axle has been changed out of a 9" one.

Again if your car has the 302 2V engine (F code) and has an 8" axle with a ratio of 2.79:1 (code 3) and would like this 9" axle let me know.

The axle tag should read WCZ-V for an axle built before Dec 15th 1972 or possibly WCZ-V2 for an axle built after Dec 15th 1972.

If anybody is parting out a car with either the 3 speed manual transmission (code1) or the 2.79:1 ratio 8" axle (3 code) contact me also.

I'm in no hurry to do this so I can wait until you are ready for the swap or sell your parts.

I am changing my daughters Mustang from a 3 speed manual to an automatic over this winter, but it is a 73 Convertible, not a 72. If you can't find the correct date code and want to do a swap (8 inch axle also), just let me know. Mike

Hi all I'm trying to return a 1972 coupe back to it's original setup.

Currently the car has been modified with an auto transmission (not sure if it is a FMX/C4 or C6). I'll find that out once I get eyes on the car.

If your car has the 302 2V engine (F code) and has a manual 3 speed transmission (1 code) built in March 1972 (xxC code) and would be interested in trading the 3 speed manual transmission for this automatic transmission let me know. The transmission plate should read RAN CA 1 for a transmission built after december 1st 1971.

Secondly from what I am given to understand the axle has been changed out of a 9" one.

Again if your car has the 302 2V engine (F code) and has an 8" axle with a ratio of 2.79:1 (code 3) and would like this 9" axle let me know.

The axle tag should read WCZ-V for an axle built before Dec 15th 1972 or possibly WCZ-V2 for an axle built after Dec 15th 1972.

If anybody is parting out a car with either the 3 speed manual transmission (code1) or the 2.79:1 ratio 8" axle (3 code) contact me also.

I'm in no hurry to do this so I can wait until you are ready for the swap or sell your parts.

Hi Mike I'll keep it in mind. Your time frame of this winter might not work.

Actually I haven't even purchased the car yet. It is currently owned by a restoration shop who will only sell it to a customer that will hire them to do the car. he tells me that it will be at least a year before he can start on the car.

I'll be going to see him next week and will know more then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mjlan I put the whole idea of purchasing the car on hold for the winter. I have found out since starting this thread that the motor has also been swapped out. The car needs everything and will never be a numbers matching car now so probably I won't go ahead with the purchase. The purchase also had the requirement that the buyer has to hire the seller's shop to restore the car. The cost to have a full restoration done by the shop and the fact that it will never be a numbers matching car makes it a poor deal. $30K to $40K for a $20K car is just dumb in my opinion. Thanks anyway.

Just so you know for the future: there is no such thing as numbers matching car with Ford. That's a GM thing where the engine and trans. are unit specific. Ford has codes for engines and trans and rear diff. but for instance a Q code 351 Cleveland out of a 72 Torino is exactly the same as a Q code out of a Mustang. As long as its the same code and the same year they are interchangeable.

Just so you know for the future: there is no such thing as numbers matching car with Ford. That's a GM thing where the engine and trans. are unit specific. Ford has codes for engines and trans and rear diff. but for instance a Q code 351 Cleveland out of a 72 Torino is exactly the same as a Q code out of a Mustang. As long as its the same code and the same year they are interchangeable.
Well all the information I have read states that the engine block has a partial VIN stamped on it. So the block is "numbers matching".

That is not true. Ford's are numbers matching

Ford stamped the block and trans with the year, plant of manufacture and the last 6 digits of the vin

The engine location of the partial VIN stamp varies by engine type, but most toploaders by the 71 MY had the partial VIN stamp on the top surface of the case ahead of the top cover, on the edge above the bellhousing mounting surface.

I'm trying to find a pic but coming up empty...

It seems once again I've been taken to school, but that said I would love to see a pic of this.
Ask and ye shall receive, pulled from a Google search of "351C block vin"

SrIfPh.jpg

I have a 3 speed toploader out of a 1971. It is out of a 250 engine though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Back