1972 Competition Suspension Steering

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Man

Reaction score
My Car
1972 351Q Mach
1971 302 Fastback
Anybody know if the competition suspension option in 72 (Q code) had a different (variable steering box?) if it did not have power steering? Or was it the same as all the other 72 steering box? I had a 72 Q code with manual steering and now have a 72 302 fastback, with power steering, just do not like the feel of the 302 ratio.

Sounds like a variable box might get me where I want to be anybody have one they would like to part with?

"There are two different steering boxes for 71-73 Mustangs equipped with power steering. One is a fixed ratio and the other is a variable ratio. Variable boxes all have a tag that reads as follows. 71 SPA-T or V, 72 SPA-T or V, 73 SPA-T or V or SPA-AD or AF. You probably want a variable box."

Last edited by a moderator:
With the manual box in the 72 q code it just felt a lot less sloppy...impossible to turn when the car was not rolling, but a lot more fun to drive. I might try the variable box before I give up on the power steering.

Variable ratio is probably what you are looking for. It's designed to turn easily at low speeds (i.e. when parking), and becomes heavier, firmer, stiffer (how ever you want to describe it) at higher rpms to allow you to "feel" the road and make the car more responsive. If you can't find a variable ratio gear box at a reasonable price, you can have your standard power steering gear box converted by companies such as Lees Manufacturing in California, or Red Head in Washington state.

Keep us posted on what you do!

-Travis

In the for what it's worth catagory, I had a 72 Q code with manual steering. It sucked!

With the Q code and posi, it had a really tight turning radius, but I did go through a lot of rear tires...

Graham -

Check out these previous posts from our site. Quite a few have already made the changes you are considering.

I shortened the following URL but it is safe and it works.

http://goo.gl/R5NuzL

Ray
Ray, All,

I'm trying to ID my steering box. It has SPA AF on it. I thought this link sent me to a site that listed all the part number break downs but i cant find it anymore. On our site I have seen it as being describe as both a constant and a variable. I was hoping to find a site that tells me exactly what it is. I want to change the gearing but I think it's more to change gearing and to variable.

Thanks,

JIm

Graham -

Check out these previous posts from our site. Quite a few have already made the changes you are considering.

I shortened the following URL but it is safe and it works.

http://goo.gl/R5NuzL

Ray

[/quot

Ray, All,

I'm trying to ID my steering box. It has SPA AF on it. I thought this link sent me to a site that listed all the part number break downs but i cant find it anymore. On our site I have seen it as being describe as both a constant and a variable. I was hoping to find a site that tells me exactly what it is. I want to change the gearing but I think it's more to change gearing and to variable.

Thanks,

JIm

Try this. http://www.mustangtek.com/steering/Steering.html

Dan on TheLincolnForum.net had a good point about the re-manufactured boxes. The 1978 Continental he refers to uses the same 4-turn box as non-Mach '71-73 Mustangs:

The last time I bought a rebuilt box for my 77 Continental it came with a warning sticker that said that lateral play was acceptable and typical. I sad bullshit and returned it. I had it rebuilt by a local shop and told him I wanted it tight and perfect. He did it for $100.
The rebuilt Lares variable-rate gearbox that I put in my '78 Continental cost me $125, and it wasn't that much of an improvement in slop. It steers quicker, but the slop is there. Dan's comment above is very valid.

-Kurt

Doug, close but no cigar: the variable ratio does not change the steering effort base on speed. The variable ratio box increases the gear ratio as the wheel is turned farther from center. This supposed to give smoother transitions at initiating a turn, yet quicker response as you continue to turn the wheel farther away from center, reducing the amount of turns lock-to-lock.

Back