1972 Coupe Engine Swap/Rebuild? Help!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Coupe 302 Stock V8
[url=https://ibb.co/gQiwow][img]https://preview.ibb.co/fjPQgG/IMG_0356.jpg[/img][/url]
So what was thought to be perhaps a throttle bar or something on the Mustang I bought a month ago, I've learned from my mechanic the engine is shot and it will need a new one! Basically the previous owner ran it without oil for too long and even though I put some oil in it when I bought it, I didn't add enough and there are metal shards in the fluids and the engine knocks, basically shot.

I was wondering my best options, mechanic has been looking through junkyards for a replacement 302 engine.

I also noted that from my research I believe the 351 Windsor engine from the 69 mustang fits right in on the same mounts and same oil pan, etc. Is this correct?

Right now my mechanic and I are on the look out for either the 302 it came with or 351 W to replace.

Although I am learning, my knowledge about these old stangs definitely doesnt compare to some of you on this website, any other suggestions? I don't understand engine boring completely, but is boring my engine and giving new pistons etc something that could fix a shot engine like mine? And would that give it extra horse power too?

My main goals are to have my mustang up and running again, I miss her!

Sub goals are, to come out of this with a more powerful engine than the stock 302 V8 I had before!

My budget is about $2000, Mechanic said labor cost to remove this and install a replacement 302 with 11 hours work is about $700

Thank you!!!

So what was thought to be perhaps a throttle bar or something on the Mustang I bought a month ago, I've learned from my mechanic the engine is shot and it will need a new one! Basically the previous owner ran it without oil for too long and even though I put some oil in it when I bought it, I didn't add enough and there are metal shards in the fluids and the engine knocks, basically shot.

I was wondering my best options, mechanic has been looking through junkyards for a replacement 302 engine.

I also noted that from my research I believe the 351 Windsor engine from the 69 mustang fits right in on the same mounts and same oil pan, etc. Is this correct?

Right now my mechanic and I are on the look out for either the 302 it came with or 351 W to replace.

Although I am learning, my knowledge about these old stangs definitely doesnt compare to some of you on this website, any other suggestions? I don't understand engine boring completely, but is boring my engine and giving new pistons etc something that could fix a shot engine like mine? And would that give it extra horse power too?

My main goals are to have my mustang up and running again, I miss her!

Sub goals are, to come out of this with a more powerful engine than the stock 302 V8 I had before!

My budget is about $2000, Mechanic said labor cost to remove this and install a replacement 302 with 11 hours work is about $700

Thank you!!!

The 302 and 351W are interchangeable. A 302 can put out a lot of power with the correct heads, cam etc. $700 to Remove and replace your engine is a reasonable price. 302's can be had pretty cheap, at least around here. Depending on the extent of the damage to your block with machining, assembly, parts, etc you are looking at over $2k for a mild build. A crate 302 might be the way to go but you will likely be over your $2k budget. Used engines are always a crap shoot.

The 302 and 351W are interchangeable. A 302 can put out a lot of power with the correct heads, cam etc. $700 to Remove and replace your engine is a reasonable price. 302's can be had pretty cheap, at least around here. Depending on the extent of the damage to your block with machining, assembly, parts, etc you are looking at over $2k for a mild build. A crate 302 might be the way to go but you will likely be over your $2k budget. Used engines are always a crap shoot.
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think a 351W or 302 is my best bet? How do I get the most power out of a 302? My mechanic and I can't seem to find old 302s or 351Ws anywhere nearby, we are in Knoxville TN. You would think these old 302s would be all over junkyards but apparently not!

A new crate engine would be ideal, but those seem to be about $4k without labor costs.

depends on what you exactly want out of the car. You can go crazy with a 302 but again it takes money. You can get 300 ish HP out of a 302 pretty easy. The right matched parts. Flat top pistons, the right heads, the GP40 heads are decent as are some other cast iron heads out there, or there is the aluminum option as well, the right matched cam for what you want the car to do, as well as matched to your other parts including your tans and rear gearing. Have you tried looking on your local craigslist for a 302. I just pulled up here and there are tons on there. A late model 302 will have a roller cam, so don't shy away from one of those.

depends on what you exactly want out of the car. You can go crazy with a 302 but again it takes money. You can get 300 ish HP out of a 302 pretty easy. The right matched parts. Flat top pistons, the right heads, the GP40 heads are decent as are some other cast iron heads out there, or there is the aluminum option as well, the right matched cam for what you want the car to do, as well as matched to your other parts including your tans and rear gearing. Have you tried looking on your local craigslist for a 302. I just pulled up here and there are tons on there. A late model 302 will have a roller cam, so don't shy away from one of those.
Thanks for info, it is seemingly hard to find a 302 engine on craigslist to drop in. We've been looking about a week at local junkyards and craigslist with no luck. What exactly should I look for in a used engine? What are things to stray away from and what all do I need for it to drop in?

You can get a fuel injected 302 or 351 and use it as fuel injected (with computer, sensors, wiring harness from donor vehicle or aftermarket) or remove all of the electronics and intake manifold and carburate it. You can get good performance from the stock engines, especially the ones with GT40 heads.

Don makes a good point about using the factory FI set up or stripping down and going back to carb.

I picked up a fresh rebuilt 302 out of an 89 GT a little over a year ago with all the harness and computer for $450. It was a stock rebuild and was run for break in on a stand. I thought it was a smoking deal as the shop that did the rebuild for the guy just wanted it gone as he couldn't pay.

A good way to go is looking for wrecked lower mileage mustang, explorer, etc that has the 302 in it. Going to be your best bet whether you want to use the FI or go back to carb.

Thank you so much for that research, I've been doing some of my own research all morning but I guess I limited my search too much. For that last one, https://knoxville.craigslist.org/pts/d/302-v8/6341056406.html how much work do I need to do, or what else do I need to buy so my mechanic can just drop it in for me?

Unfortunately this was my daily driver, so I would like to have something ready to go rather than something I need to make alterations for, I would like to be running again by next week ideally.

I would think if it is actually a good running like the ad says swap out the accessories and drop in. It has a 2bbl intake on it now but comes with a 4bbl intake as well so a 4bbl carb would give it some more juice as well.

u have a few engine options above and they look good. i just did my 302 last winter and a complete rebuild except the pistons (30over already) so i just did the rings. i had to have crank turned, rebuilt heads, oil pump &shaft, water pump, fuel pump all bearing and gaskets. engine was cleaned and new freeze plugs too. i pulled engine and replaced, broke the engine down to parts and took to machine shop, the put it together and installed. i will say i'm under $1500 complete parts/machine shop. with buying a rebuilt engine u want documentation of the build. any machine shop info,what parts went into it. be nice to get part numbers of stuff too.. now with all said i'd at least pull engine apart and see what happened to it. a basic rebuild kit on ebay is like 500 bucks. clean up cyl's and u just may be good.. and your 2000 budget is good .. maybe not..

it's really hard to say do this and done, for u have options.. options and options..

now i just looked at the engines that were found. i like the one u picked.. BUT.. that intake is single plane... sell it !!!!!!! u want a duel plane

Last edited by a moderator:
Back