1972 Door Jamb Vent Purpose?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael O’Harran

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang 351C
Currently Under Restoration
I came across a door jamb vent cap (no vent at all) and I like it because its marked "Mach 1" and black so its great for my resto, but I don't know the purpose of the actual vent and if this with interfere with a design issue. Can anyone advise what this vent actually does, or if its just an access point and not needed to be an actual vent? Thanks.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/908069...search_query=mach+1&ref=sr_gallery-3-22&frs=1

Last edited:
The vent opening has been helpful when adjusting the stops for the rear windows, when laying wires between trunk and dash, and to spray primer while repairing the rear fender. It saved the work of removing the interior trim, which requires removing the rear seat. That said, those were probably not the intended uses but it works for me :).

I also wonder what was the intended purpose.

The vent opening has been helpful when adjusting the stops for the rear windows, when laying wires between trunk and dash, and to spray primer while repairing the rear fender. It saved the work of removing the interior trim, which requires removing the rear seat. That said, those were probably not the intended uses but it works for me :).

I also wonder what was the intended purpose.
I did what I could by first looking on line to see what I could find, but that ran dry quick. These niche' things are actually known in groups like this for people who are passionate about specific collects groups. This forum has proved beyond useful so far in my build.

I am pretty sure that they are there to just vent air so the trunk, and doors close easier. On a new car with good rubber seals and no rust holes, they would be pretty well sealed up, and without the vents you would probably have a harder time closing the doors and the trunk, air pressure would just impede you a bit.

I am pretty sure that they are there to just vent air so the trunk, and doors close easier. On a new car with good rubber seals and no rust holes, they would be pretty well sealed up, and without the vents you would probably have a harder time closing the doors and the trunk, air pressure would just impede you a bit.
Alright then. Leave the vent. Thanks everyone.

Also water gets in that cavity so I am sure it was to air it out so it could dry….since everyones quarters and door latch bases are rusting out I would say that was a fail….my convertible drip line dumps its water just in front of the rear tire in the quarter window cavity.

Also water gets in that cavity so I am sure it was to air it out so it could dry….since everyones quarters and door latch bases are rusting out I would say that was a fail….my convertible drip line dumps its water just in front of the rear tire in the quarter window cavity.
Oh that sucks. Sorry to hear

They were the exhaust vents for the DirectAire ventilation system.

View attachment 61118
That learning design details like this are always awesome for me. I love it. I always say nothing is arbitrary. Thought went into every inch of design in everything in life and it either has design, historical or functional significance, but sometimes that knowledge can become lost to time. Thank you.

They were the exhaust vents for the DirectAire ventilation system.

View attachment 61118
Thanks for that Hemikiller. Back in the day Ford was so proud of their "Directaire" system they regularly mentioned it in their print and TV media advertising as well.

Back