1972 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Q code engine - $16500

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1 (x3) 73 Grande
68 Coupe
72 Sprint Fastback
72 Sprint convertible, 1 of 50 (sold)
69 GT 500 (sold)
68 Fastback deluxe int. w/bench (sold)
Just saw this ad on Baltimore craigslist and looks nice for price...

00T0T_5pWc9Gm1Tfv_600x450.jpg

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/d/reisterstown-1972-ford-mustang-mach-1/6902764411.html

It sounds like a reasonable price, subject to a serious rust/crash inspection. Chuck

Looks like it has had the normal owner preference package added.

So with Q code in 72 you got the NASA hood but not the black out, done wrong, and no hood locks. Also odd that it had Décor Group trim that was not offered on Mach 1 I do not think. Would have had the black sprayed below where the trim is without chrome. No Décor Group on the Factory invoice either.

This could be a body swap with VIN# changed. Might be a Sportsroof that they switched over the VIN#.

Too few pics you can put like 24 on a CL ad if I remember right.

Beware if interested.

Apart from the usual damage and rust checks, paint thickness gauge all around, etc. this could be the elusive decent car at a fair price. Things like hood blackout, hood locks, and so forth have been added quite often over the decades. I do cringe however when I see the metal being pulled down as is the case with the driver's side hood lock. It's a simple adjustment to correct that. Does that look like the factory welding in the quarter panel / door jamb pic? I wonder if the AC blows cold or "needs a recharge"? ;) Performing a Google search on the VIN comes back with nothing at all.

Also odd that it had Décor Group trim that was not offered on Mach 1 I do not think. Would have had the black sprayed below where the trim is without chrome. 
I had a '72 Mach 1 that had the chrome trim with black below it. I bought it in '76, so pretty sure it was original. 

Steve

Also odd that it had Décor Group trim that was not offered on Mach 1 I do not think. Would have had the black sprayed below where the trim is without chrome. 
I had a '72 Mach 1 that had the chrome trim with black below it. I bought it in '76, so pretty sure it was original. 

Steve

The lower bright trim was part of the 71-72 Mach 1 package and didn't become part of the Decor Group until 1972. It was deleted when the side stripes were optioned. Car in the CL ad did not have the side stripe option on the invoice he shows, so it came with the trim. Many people don't remove them when adding side stripes, as it requires bodywork and paint to accomplish correctly. 

Honestly looks like a nice car for the price. It does look like someone added air shocks to the back (you can see the air lines in one of the trunk pics). Wish I lived closer.

Back