1972 Grande rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As most of you know, the foot e-brake is useless for a manually driven car when stopped on a hill facing upwards. I searched for ideas online and the only example I found was putting the e-brake behind the stick shift without a center console. I want to keep the center console for storage and right side arm rest. But the space between the console and seat is pretty tight.

But, I decided to try. I did some research and decided to go with a 87-93 mustang ebrake. I like the handle and I thought it would fit nicely with the interior. I made a cardboard mount to figure out fitment, spacing, etc. I then got some 16 gauge steel to make the actual mount. Did some test fitting. Then shaped the steel mount, welded it together, cut slot for the cable wheel, and welded in the two bolts used to mount the hand brake. I wanted to make the whole system modular so I could work in the areas in the future if I needed to without cutting.

Attachments

• test fit cardboard 1.jpg
    test fit cardboard 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • test fit steel mount.jpg
    test fit steel mount.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 0
  • ebrake mount with bolts.jpg
    ebrake mount with bolts.jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 0
I also made mounting points on the tunnel reinforced with 16g steel underneath with bolts welded in place. One in front and the other in the rear. Then made a mounting point on the rear of the ebrake mount for the cable. The half moon shape if where the cable link slides in and is secured by a 20g plate with screws.

Attachments

• tunnel front mount.jpg
    tunnel front mount.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • rear mount ebrake.jpg
    rear mount ebrake.jpg
    609.6 KB · Views: 0
  • mount rear cable access.jpg
    mount rear cable access.jpg
    763.2 KB · Views: 0
Always checking spacing to see where the ebrake sits compared to center console and seat. It is close. Also checking angle of ebrake handle to console so my hand will fit to grasp the handle. I then made a hole in the tunnel for the cable system. The cable system I had was too long so it will need to be shortened. So I went back and forth to figure where the rear e-brake cables would link in the tunnel to the portion that is pulled by the eBrake. Using more 16 gauge sheet, I made a single piece containing the working part of the ebrake. I used a spring that I had sitting around to maintain tension on the ebrake handle to keep it down.

Attachments

• above view ebrake mount.jpg
    above view ebrake mount.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • tunnel entry for ebrake line.jpg
    tunnel entry for ebrake line.jpg
    711.4 KB · Views: 0
  • cable ends.jpg
    cable ends.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • shortened cable .jpg
    shortened cable .jpg
    1,017 KB · Views: 0
  • e-brake mechanism 1 peice.jpg
    e-brake mechanism 1 peice.jpg
    659.8 KB · Views: 0
Here is the completed ebrake. Now with the seat in position, the space is tight. The ebrake is rubbing on the seat. To thin the ebrake, I plan to remove the self adjusting spring section between the gear and cable mount. Weld back on the gear and cable mount so it is one with the handle. That will free up about an inch at least. I am thinking it will work out pretty good. Stand by.

Attachments

• close view ebrake.jpg
    close view ebrake.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • ebrake space to seat.jpg
    ebrake space to seat.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231224_164940.jpg
    20231224_164940.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 0
FInished with the hand brake. Just need to figure out the leather or cloth cover piece. As you can see, I rebuilt the cable/link mechanism to remove about an 3/4 inch of wasted space. I also built it to be modular - meaning I can take it apart without removing the whole assembly. You know, ff the cable broke or something along those lines. Attached you will see the following pictures: before disassembly, disassembled, putting it back together, assembled, assembled in the brake stand for the floor, and whole ebrake mechanism.

Attachments

• hand brake before.jpg
    hand brake before.jpg
    667.9 KB · Views: 0
  • hand break apart 1.jpg
    hand break apart 1.jpg
    795.2 KB · Views: 0
  • hand break apart 4.jpg
    hand break apart 4.jpg
    853.7 KB · Views: 0
  • hand break apart 3.jpg
    hand break apart 3.jpg
    823.3 KB · Views: 0
  • hand break apart 5.jpg
    hand break apart 5.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 0
  • hand break apart 8.jpg
    hand break apart 8.jpg
    582 KB · Views: 0
  • ebrake mechaism all.jpg
    ebrake mechaism all.jpg
    721.2 KB · Views: 0
Here are the pics of the assembly in the vehicle. Before the carpet, after the carpet and then with the seat in place. Still tight but not touching the seat now. Seat can move back and forth without rubbing. I also added a before/after pic of the ebrake to show how much space I saved. Again, that space savings let me "play" with spacing between the console and seat. I gave the ebrake a test try in my drive way with the stang rolling. Oh yeah. It stopped the stang. I am thinking even faster then the foot brake. Now I have a way to manage hill stopping without creeping etc. :)

Attachments

• hand brake in 1.jpg
    hand brake in 1.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 0
  • hand brake in 2.jpg
    hand brake in 2.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 0
  • hand brake final seat.jpg
    hand brake final seat.jpg
    753.5 KB · Views: 0
  • hand brake in 3.jpg
    hand brake in 3.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 0
  • ebrake before after.jpg
    ebrake before after.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 0
Sniper EFI is back on. I had some brain farts (wiring, etc) but eventually it fired up. At 60 years old, I am glad to find my way home from work. :) Drove it around for the EFI to "learn". I am also researching EFI tuning so I can dial it in. But I figured in the meantime, let it learn. I also figured out a way to add a hood release from inside the cab. I have the part and am troubleshooting the link mechanism at the latch, etc. Once I get that figured, I will add pics. I still have to finish some weather proofing, sound proofing, finish sound system hook up, and then the dreaded body work for paint. Oh, I need to squeeze in an alignment. :)

Attachments

• 3 DEC 23 Stang.jpg
    3 DEC 23 Stang.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back