1972 Mach 1 H code Prior owner restoration that need help.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Mach 1 H Code 351-2V FMX auto Trans
I have purchased what was supposed to be a completed restoration. After driving it home, I discovered that the 351-2V Cleveland engine was not rebuilt. The FMX transmission needs looked at for internal adjustments. My dash lights do not work. Hood hinges do not hold the hood up. The windshield should have been replaced due to scratches and what I thought was needing a cleaning turns out to be discoloration of the internal laminate. With the exterior color changed by the previous owner, the addition of a Ram Air and non rarity of this car makes me want to build this car as I think it should have been done originally.

I want to keep the 351-2V but overhaul and improve it. Change it from the automatic transmission to modern manual transmission with hydraulic clutch.

What is the general opinion among other owners?

My opinion is probably not that of most members, but I believe it if is not a rare and original car to start with you should do it the way you want it to be. My 71 was just a H code 351 2V car that was missing the engine when I bought it and had already had one color change in paint and interior. I saw it as a blank canvas that I could do it the way I wanted it done. I built a 71 M code 351 4V and adding Ram Air, and stripped the body to bare metal and I am painting it the color I like. I am adding a console and tach and front and rear spoilers. The term I have seen people use on this forum is "up-optioning" but this is how I would have ordered the car if I wasn't 5 years old in 1971. As long as I don't misrepresent the car, I think most people do not have an issue with it. If I ever sell the car (and I won't) I will provide the new owner with the Marti report so they understand what the car actually is. In hindsight, I wish I would have gone with an AOD transmission but the FMX is already rebuilt and the stall torque converter already purchased so that will have to be a future upgrade. Long story short, I think you should do whatever upgrades you choose to make it more enjoyable for you.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 72 Mustang!

I agree with @tpj71mach - build it the way you think best! I've owned my '72 for 45 years and it has gone through many changes and modifications through the years. I've mostly focused on mechanical changes but appreciate many well-performed modifications people make on their cars. Unless you do some radical body modifications anything can be put back to stock later.

You're making a good start by joining these forums. The community and willingness to share expertise will benefit your journey with your Mach 1.

Well said.... To tpj71mach and Sheriff41's points, I have a desire to re-create a 1971 Shelby Europa GT500 convertible. It's not for everyone, but in the end it is your car and you are the one who needs to he happy and love what you've created.

And welcome to this site, it's the best decision you made right after buying your car, these guys are a wealth of knowledge (and opinions) but its such a great resource! Congrats on the car.

Well said.... To tpj71mach and Sheriff41's points, I have a desire to re-create a 1971 Shelby Europa GT500 convertible. It's not for everyone, but in the end it is your car and you are the one who needs to he happy and love what you've created.

And welcome to this site, it's the best decision you made right after buying your car, these guys are a wealth of knowledge (and opinions) but its such a great resource! Congrats on the car.
I'm generally not a fan of mods, but the situations mentioned here aren't atrocious. I would never do a color change though, buy maybe interior change. I won't buy a car that I can't live with the factory color. I like cars that are a good representation of its color. Recreating a 1971 Shelby is a great idea. It has far more education value etc. than a common car and you can enjoy it. An original one would be too rare to enjoy the same way and unlikely being able to find one anyways. Enjoy

Mine is also 'just an H-Code,' meaning not rare or collectible (unless the Marti Report says otherwise, i.e., "1 of 'a low number' with the options listed"). Over the years, I've also come around to the 'wanting to keep it original' mindset... but, still believe that you should build it as you want it. Mine's been treated to extensive engine and driveline mods (lots of Edelbrock & CompCam goodies, AOD, headers, stainless exhaust, etc.), added 'luxury' options (power windows & locks, air conditioning, upgraded stereo, et al), and some driveability improvements (traction bars, sub-frame connectors, Cragars & Cooper Cobras, etc.). The majority of my mods are also non-cosmetic, which means by slapping some original wheels and tires back on, mine would 'look' almost exactly as it came from the factory - it was a 'no stripes and spoilers' car with factory Ram Air, so I elected to keep it that way, also sticking with the factory color (light pewter). I guess I'm kind of in the middle when it comes to original vs. restomod.

But yes, I say go for it and make it yours.

Welcome from Germany!

I would say... Go for it! It's your Mustang and you are free to do any work to it. As long as you don't put a lift kit on it and a 350 Chebby small block in *lol*

I am more a OEM guy to the cars but anything period correct or better, what you could order from the dealer, would be ok. As soon as the "soul" of the car would not be lost during the process I am with anything. But that's only my personal opinion. I think that most here are ok with your plans. And hey, you are saving one more to have fun with it what was the original purpose for that cars. So make it yours and go for it! Keep us posted...

7C5D533C-7099-4012-9006-C4E6057D3C18.jpeg

I have a 72 H code Mach 1 as well. I am of the school of doing upgrades and modifications in a way that the car can be returned back to it's original configuration. I saved every part down to the original nuts and bolts. I subscribe to this method for sentimental reasons, but also practical and historical reasons as well. I like the experience of what a car felt like in it's era. I have modern cars and they work well but are sometimes unemotional and boring being only saved by having manual transmissions.

Ron

I love this, I wish ours wasn’t so original and rust free, I would do this to it in a heartbeat. We’re those Cougar taillights without the grills?

Welcome to the forum. How was the 351-2V represented to you prior to the sale, and what was the indication to you that it had not been rebuilt. I take it you found driveability issues which weren't just related to tuning (including the carb).

Update on engine. I have purchased another 351-2V that was already modified with a cam and 4 barrel intake. I am not taking any bodies word as to the status of their work. So this engine is now in the hands of a engine builder. It is going to get a cam change to a roller lifters cam. Have heads rocker arm studs machined for screw in rocker studs and roller rockers. Will be talking to the builder to decide between 1.6 or 1.73 ratio rockers. Not looking to make huge horsepower but definitely more than stock.

Last edited:
Back