1972 Mach 1 value

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1 351 ram air
[url=https://ibb.co/R9rNbJs][img]https://i.ibb.co/376vdPj/DSC06636.jpg[/img][/url]
I'm just getting serious into the restoration of a 1972 Mach 1. I'm wondering how deep to get into it. It seems to be highly optioned compared to a lot of cars I've seen on this site and in the Marti report section.

Do a lot of options help the value because it's rare to have them all or is it no big deal?

Are highly optioned Mach 1's rare?

Among the options are:

Ram Air hood

Air conditioning

Power steering

Power front disc brakes

Tilt steering wheel

Sport deck rear seat

Sports interior option

console

convenience group and more

Any thoughts?

That makes it more valuable but the condition of the car has more to do with value than the options it has unless it is a R-code option, that one carries much more weight than the rest.

What kind of condition is the car? Post some pics. Post the Marti and I can give you a much better idea.

What engine does it have in it? If you can restore it to a pretty high level and have a total of 20k in it you might make a little on it. There are a number of users on this site recently having troubles trying to get mid 20s on some really nicely cars though. So not a project I would recommend if your goal is making money on it. On the other hand, if you plan to keep it and enjoy it then absolutely go for it. 20k for the type of pleasure driving these cars gives is cheap! It is a very nicely optioned Mach for sure.

Not good. California car, but sat outside for yrs. (previous owner)

Needs floor pans (not swiss cheese but some areas rusted thru)

Needs entire interior except headliner. I could easily end up north of 20k total invested. Just wondering if the car is worth it.
If you provide some pics and more information on options and what the VIN is you will get a close estimate what its worth when complete. If you have a Marti report that would be even better. You can pick up the basic report for $18.

Options in my opinion are always a plus. In lots of eyes the vinyl roof is not a plus but to some it is. I think Jeff and I have the two most optioned cars in here. My Mach 1 has 28 options as delivered and I added I think 7 more dealer options. I think the only option not on Jeff's car is the Traction Loc rear. The power windows can be a pain if you have to pull the motors and clean the dried grease out so they work. A car can have every option and be a 6 cylinder and that pretty much cuts the price in half compared to a CJ car.

It is your car put what you want on it. It is difficult to do a complete resto and make any money on any of the 71 - 73 cars except for the Boss and R codes and those can be difficult .

Work on them, drive them and enjoy them.

David

Thanks for the thoughts guys. My other stang is a 67 fstbk with a 472 in it. Manual brakes (Wilwood discs on all 4) and manual steering. A real beast to drive. This 72 Mach with power brakes and steering is a luxury ride in comparison.

I'm not necessarily fixing it up to sell. I like the bright blue paint with the blue interior. It'll be really nice with a complete new interior.

it could be a KR car.... and a pathetic mess total loss and with the description it sounds nice. PICTURES help us a lot in answering the questions. We could tell you 'yeah sounds great GO FOR IT....and you end up spending 30k for a 12,000.00 valued car when your finished. OR if you post some pics so we can see what we are guessing at it would benefit you tremendously.

NOW you're talking! THAT is a really good car from the looks. Mine was NO WHERE as nice when I started other than it had a near PERFECT body. So far my vote is that will be an easy restore.....get after it!!!!!!

So if it is as nice as it appears your 20k, can we assume you'll be hiring all this work out? Even at 20 invested the 72's can and do bring mid to high 20's with a few going beyond that if you have a Q code. Others may correct me on those prices but we've seen a jump in 3 years roughly. Now be cautious ... a lot of 72's are sitting in the high teens.

That rust looks like its from wet carpets, not salt so I'm guessing that the underside looks pretty darn good. When a person from the salt belt says it has "some rust" it means something completely different then what you've shown us. Nice car.

That rust looks like its from wet carpets, not salt so I'm guessing that the underside looks pretty darn good. When a person from the salt belt says it has "some rust" it means something completely different then what you've shown us. Nice car.
I was going to mention that! However he said "Needs floor pans (not swiss cheese but some areas rusted thru)" so I was not going to challenge something "he" inspected. But it looks more surface rust to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back