1972 Mustang " A purist's dream find"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If dreams include nightmares, his claims aren't that far off.

All jokes aside, it looks as if it may be a clean example painted by someone who didn't know what they were doing. Not necessarily a car to be dismissed, but certainly at that price.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't call it a nighmare. Seems clean from the little info provided. At $8-10,000, would be a good start to a nice resto. Depends on option content, though.

Only reason to consider it a nighmare for a purist-

For me; I confess to be a half-assed :) purist would prefer to find a car that while not in perfect condition, has not been changed or altered much. This car has had money and time spent and appears to be taken in a direction away from stock which can sometimes hide things that would otherwise require attention. To accurately restore such a car to a purist's level approaching concourse, one would need to peel back or undo many of the changes. This IS a nighmare!

My point is a purist would rather start with a car that is much closer to original than one like this car advertised as a "purist's dream".

For others this car may be just the vision they had for the car they want. If so, this car may be their dream car. But not so for someone desiring a very original car.

Ray

From the pics, it just looks like the paint and wheels are all the deviates it from stock. That is a simple remedy, not much to 'peel away' there. Who knows about the interior though...

The problem is having to wonder if "purist's dream," means that everything is all stock under the hood/inside the doors, or if that it simply "appears" to be the full 42 years old (with applicable wear & tear). A 302 stuffed into a 351's place, and left to chance will look pretty much the same as a 351 that was never cared for, after all. ;)

I certainly hope the only thing wrong with this one is just the poorly planned out paint scheme and modern wheels - that could be a nice find for the right buyer... not for that much money, though.

I think that this car looks pretty neat, except for the red rear valance that should have been painted black along with the rockers. Other than that it looks good.

I think that this car looks pretty neat, except for the red rear valance that should have been painted black along with the rockers. Other than that it looks good.
I was thinking the same thing... except, they also missed the front valance as well. I guess the top stripe's not so bad. I'm just more biased to the TuTone look - either Mach 1 or Boss hood treatments just look better (probably because of seeing so many).

Honestly, it's hard to come up with something that's well suited to the NACA ducts.

Umm...I don't think any 302 will ever appear to look like a dirty old 351 Cleveland. Not to someone who knows better anyway. And if they don't know better or don't take the time to bone up on the subject...well, buyer beware!

Umm...I don't think any 302 will ever appear to look like a dirty old 351 Cleveland. Not to someone who knows better anyway. And if they don't know better or don't take the time to bone up on the subject...well, buyer beware!
I was speaking in the 'along the lines of' perspective - relax, Man. :D

A dirty old V8 looks like a dirty old V8 to a low-information buyer when they're glossing over the whole car trying to get an idea what they're getting into. I had no idea if mine was a 2V or 4V (or that there was even a difference) when I first bought mine. Yes - I was a low-information buyer, armed pretty much only with my memories of how cool my old friend's car was when I was a kid and the "Mach 1 goggles" that came with those memories, spurred on by a recent article in Mustang Monthly I'd seen a few weeks earlier. ;) :D

As well, Boss 302 heads and valve covers look awfully "351 Cleveland" to me. A lot of people won't make it much farther if the engine's a big, dusty grease ball. All of this detailed information regarding our cars comes with research and/or experience - only engaged '71-'73 Mustangers are going to know exactly what they're getting into walking into a potential deal like this.

Again - I was using that just as an example... and probably not the best example, either. :D

I was speaking in the 'along the lines of' perspective - relax, Man. :D

A dirty old V8 looks like a dirty old V8 to a low-information buyer when they're glossing over the whole car trying to get an idea what they're getting into. I had no idea if mine was a 2V or 4V (or that there was even a difference) when I first bought mine. Yes - I was a low-information buyer, armed pretty much only with my memories of how cool my old friend's car was when I was a kid and the "Mach 1 goggles" that came with those memories, spurred on by a recent article in Mustang Monthly I'd seen a few weeks earlier. ;) :D

As well, Boss 302 heads and valve covers look awfully "351 Cleveland" to me. A lot of people won't make it much farther if the engine's a big, dusty grease ball. All of this detailed information regarding our cars comes with research and/or experience - only engaged '71-'73 Mustangers are going to know exactly what they're getting into walking into a potential deal like this.

Again - I was using that just as an example... and probably not the best example, either. :D

Well said Eric. All too many times people buy on impulse, 'because they want it and have the money". Then they find out they ended up with something else. Some will admit it and others are too embarrassed to say anything.

I have been in both situations... :p

Almost sounds like a night of college bar-hopping>>> she let me keep the lights off... but I digress :)

Many people think (because they heard someone say it) that all Mustangs came with 351 Clevelands. No 429's or 6 cyl motors - JUST CLEVELANDS. But after they make their purchase and get involved (hopefully here) they begin to learn more and find out the truth about many aspects of their car as well as others. I have said many times how much I have and still continue to learn.

Ray

My favorite part is how the front spoiler is bolted on at such an angle as to be clear up into the fender,it actually covers the gap between the fender and valance. Some people's children.....

I cannot quite tell from the pictures, but does it appear as if the quarter extension fillers are filled at the seam and painted?

Back