1972 Passenger Fasten Seatbelt Light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael O’Harran

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang 351C
Currently Under Restoration
As I work on my restoration, I am doing some custom tweaks along the way, some big, some small. Another area that I’ve hit a wall with was that passenger side above the glovebox, fasten your seatbelt light. I was looking to get a new red plastic lense that I could customize what I want it to say on there and ran the idea of custom printing plastic by my local office printing stores, craft stores and trophy shops, all to no avail. Any ideas where I might be able to do this? Thanks.

You can buy red transparent plexiglass sheets of plastic on eBay, as thin as 1/16". You should be able to cut the size you need for the fasten seat belt light. Now that you have the plexiglass piece, you should be able to use like a "cricut" machine, lots of home crafters have them, and cut what you want it to say from vinyl and stick it on the plexiglass.

You can buy red transparent plexiglass sheets of plastic on eBay, as thin as 1/16". You should be able to cut the size you need for the fasten seat belt light. Now that you have the plexiglass piece, you should be able to use like a "cricut" machine, lots of home crafters have them, and cut what you want it to say from vinyl and stick it on the plexiglass.
I will explore this as an option. Thanks

I can’t believe a place like Scott Drake isn’t making these. Almost impossible to come by and a growing demand. Just look at the astronomical prices on eBay for these and they aren’t even that great. $90-95 for a half decent one. SD could sell these new for $40 all day and night and make a profit. Sell the two separate. Lens/housing and light module.

You can have red acrylic laser engraved, and the letters paint filled.
Any good sign shop with a laser can layout the text, size, and shape of the lens, then cover the red acrylic with transfer tape, and engrave and cut the lens.
Then the letters can be paint filled, remove the tape and you should have something that would be a close match.
It can be done on the front, or reverse engraved if necessary.

You can have red acrylic laser engraved, and the letters paint filled.
Any good sign shop with a laser can layout the text, size, and shape of the lens, then cover the red acrylic with transfer tape, and engrave and cut the lens.
Then the letters can be paint filled, remove the tape and you should have something that would be a close match.
It can be done on the front, or reverse engraved if necessary.
If you find a shop that can direct print....make a bunch, trim them out and sell them. They do not have to all say the same thing.
Warning, though, acrylic is not really heat resistant. I'd change the bulb to an LED.

If you find a shop that can direct print....make a bunch, trim them out and sell them. They do not have to all say the same thing.
Warning, though, acrylic is not really heat resistant. I'd change the bulb to an LED.
I am doing a full car switch over to LED so that should be good. I will advise what I figure out for a solution to the group. Thanks.

As I work on my restoration, I am doing some custom tweaks along the way, some big, some small. Another area that I’ve hit a wall with was that passenger side above the glovebox, fasten your seatbelt light. I was looking to get a new red plastic lense that I could customize what I want it to say on there and ran the idea of custom printing plastic by my local office printing stores, craft stores and trophy shops, all to no avail. Any ideas where I might be able to do this? Thanks.
Does anyone have the specs/dimensions of that seal belt lens? I wouldn't be able to get that for a while and I can get a quote now. If anyone has it close at hand? Thanks.

I have one that is not in the greatest of shape that I would sell cheap.

Attachments

• 0327211821a.jpg
    0327211821a.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 0327211821b.jpg
    0327211821b.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 0327211821.jpg
    0327211821.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 13
So I just found a back story on these very things that I figured I’d share for anyone interested. But my new question is this: does anyone know the difference between the flat/flush seat light warning bezel and the thick one that sticks out of the dash. Mine (72) was flat. I’ve seen them stick out and assumed it was probably a 73, but my mechanic said he got it out of a 72. So does anyone know when the change happened and why? What’s the significance? Thanks. http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.com/2019/11/phs-restoration-files-1972-73-mustang.html?m=1

Hmm. Mine is a Jan '72 build (actually, 12 Jan 1972 so, happy birthday to my car!) and has the one that sticks out and angled so the face is vertical. It has a black plastic frame around the lens like the one in detritusmaximus' pictures.

Hmm. Mine is a Jan '72 build (actually, 12 Jan 1972 so, happy birthday to my car!) and has the one that sticks out and angled so the face is vertical. It has a black plastic frame around the lens like the one in detritusmaximus' pictures.
This is what mine looks like that I’m talking about. And mine was April 13, 19721641999029501.jpeg

I couldn't find one in Aus, so had to fill the hole with something.

horse.jpg

Back