1972 Q-CODE 4SPEED 351CJ BUILD

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
So the q-code is at my new shop...As most of you have seen the videos pics I did of the work up to this point it has been over a year since I touched her..BUT now it's time to get busy again..Shes all tucked loving the new place!

I will get a bunch pictures together in the following weeks post on this thread for those that haven't seen the enormous amount of work into this car.

IMG_0314-3.JPGIMG_0312.JPGIMG_0310-1.JPG

The shop looks great Scott! I've been looking forward to your updates on the Mach. Ryan.

I have followed this project since the start. I would very much appreciate more details when you have time on how you worked the repro hood to fit so well. I have to replace the hood on my '71 Mach 1 (an original that is 98% rust free) due to weird damage by a previous owner.

I have followed this project since the start. I would very much appreciate more details when you have time on how you worked the repro hood to fit so well. I have to replace the hood on my '71 Mach 1 (an original that is 98% rust free) due to weird damage by a previous owner.
The first thing I did was have my hood hinges rebuilt. With out the hinges being rebuilt your constantly "chasing" the alignment. After that you need to make sure the front unibody is square. You can then mount the hood & shoot for the best possible alignment , It may require moving the fenders in the process. Once you have that, you have to add or remove metal from the hood edge. We do that with welding rod for adding & grinding for removing..if removing you have to be careful about "splitting the seam. You then add metal again after the grind, shape to it's final size. It's a long tedious process since you have to fill in the rod to hood edge gap with metal using the mig or tig. Maybe this vid will help you understand better

Finally all situated at the new shop. With the cold weather aproaching It's time to get busy. So the next step is to countinue the body work on the roof, then over to the right side. In order to make the roof ultra strong & flex free I fabracated these custom roof braces. My order of Raam Mat & Ensolite arrived the other day http://www.raamaudio.com/ I already prepped the inner & outer roof skin with 80 grit on the D.A.

The braces are all fitted so going to rust bullet the inside, Install the raam mat then the braces. After that it's a coat of spi epoxy on the outside of the roof then a skin coat of filler over the epoxy..

IMG_1523.JPGIMG_1524.JPGIMG_1525.JPGIMG_1526.JPGIMG_1528.JPGIMG_1530.JPGIMG_1529.JPG

Finally all situated at the new shop. With the cold weather aproaching It's time to get busy. So the next step is to countinue the body work on the roof, then over to the right side. In order to make the roof ultra strong & flex free I fabracated these custom roof braces. My order of Raam Mat & Ensolite arrived the other day http://www.raamaudio.com/ I already prepped the inner & outer roof skin with 80 grit on the D.A.

The braces are all fitted so going to rust bullet the inside, Install the raam mat then the braces. After that it's a coat of spi epoxy on the outside of the roof then a skin coat of filler over the epoxy..
Wow the car is looking great Q

Wish I had your Shop, Some day maybe!

Wow the car is looking great Q
Thanks M ! ::thumb::

Yea took a bit to get setteled in to the new place ,Still waiting on my new lift but I'm excited to get back to work on the Q-Code if all goes well I can finally finish it up over the winter. On the plus side been really enjoying the other car I've been driving it alot. Going to be taking it off the road though in the next few weeks. Shes getting the full sound deadner install--finish the interior--new glass-weatherstrips. Will be posting vids of that process once we get going on it.

IMG_1511.JPG

your car looks like mine before I started sectioning. I originally was not planning to cut her up but rather I was doing a hot rod scinerio. Epoxy primer, side pipes, jacked up rear , G70 Firestone wide ovals, lol, etc, etc, like a 70s high school car. After I got it pretty much done, I wasn't feeling it so I brought it back into the shop after 11 miles. Took it apart and cut it up. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics on the work done. Thanks for the tip on my blog. I'm curious if you use epoxy all through the build up until sealer & top coat. Thanks. [/i]

I went back and watched some of your videos. I see your goal is perfection and that you achieve that. Great work, I occasionally go to that extreme but mostly build drivers. Once I get her done ,take her to a cruise and do a couple hole shots, well you know. When we used to build drag cars in the 70s we called the Mustangs flexible flyers.lol. I'm week on finish detail myself, love to build but hate to tweak. Enjoy watching someone with appropriate patience pull it off , kudos :bravo:

Last edited by a moderator:
your car looks like mine before I started sectioning. I originally was not planning to cut her up but rather I was doing a hot rod scinerio. Epoxy primer, side pipes, jacked up rear , G70 Firestone wide ovals, lol, etc, etc, like a 70s high school car. After I got it pretty much done, I wasn't feeling it so I brought it back into the shop after 11 miles. Took it apart and cut it up. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics on the work done. Thanks for the tip on my blog. I'm curious if you use epoxy all through the build up until sealer & top coat. Thanks. [/i]

I went back and watched some of your videos. I see your goal is perfection and that you achieve that. Great work, I occasionally go to that extreme but mostly build drivers. Once I get her done ,take her to a cruise and do a couple hole shots, well you know. When we used to build drag cars in the 70s we called the Mustangs flexible flyers.lol. I'm week on finish detail myself, love to build but hate to tweak. Enjoy watching someone with appropriate patience pull it off , kudos :bravo:
Thanks Ray your welcome & appreciate the compliment,::thumb:: In the process of starting a new you tube channel moving forward with the build..trying to better organize my pictures but it all takes time :whistling:

So Joey BlowFish the rust bullet king came by to get the inner roof done tonight so this week I can install the Ramm Mat, Permanently get the roof braces in :D

IMG_1556.JPG

Wow that I have never seen before?! Doesn't it get to low fore the head space Don? Regards Lars
Nope if you plan accordingly and fit the headliner bows prior, it all fits under the headliner

Looking great Scott. I'm glad to see this one getting some attention again. What color wi it be when done?
Yea finally :D

The original pewter 5a although I'm going to tweak play with the toners some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back