1972 Q-CODE 4SPEED 351CJ BUILD

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Guess what guys? I'm back :cool: It's been 5 years since I last posted on the site (man time flies) In that time I've finished a few other projects (including my other 1972 Mustang) & unfortunately this car got put to the back burner. I also had to give up the shop I had it in. But that's another story for another day the main thing is that I'm on a major mission to finally FINISH this car.  I'll try & post up on here & also try to get more videos done, I've revamped my you tube channel & have posted a few new videos. I've also posted up on the site face book page, For the new members here who have no Idea who I am or anything about this car you can check out all the videos I did on you tube to get caught up on the work I've done to this car plus lots of tips & stuff that will help anyone working & restoring one of our cars. For the new members here a quick history, I have over 30 years in the Auto Body Biz doing high end restorations & high end collision work (retired from that biz now)  I've owned this particular car since 1979 & was the first car I ever owned, it was my daily driver for about 9 years in 1988 I took it off the road for a full down to the shell restoration, I have the complete numbers matching drive train and all bolt on numbers matching parts that were taken off when I disassembled the car. I had also had the motor rebuilt about 4000 miles prior to taking it off the road. So fast forward to NOW I'm going to pick up where I left off on my last post in 2016 here's the link to my you tube channel for those that want to start at the beginning and get caught up to now. (there's also other videos of my other 72 the green one)  https://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzenut/videos

Ok here we go ! So the last post we had did the rustbullet on the interior of the roof that's finished I also did the install of the Raam mat sound deadner & installed the custom roof braces. To bring you up to speed I was working on doing the body work on the roof & passenger side of the car, All the body work was finished on the drivers side & put in epoxy just needs to have the 1st round of blocking 2k primer applied-So I finished the roof it has its first coat of 2k applied and I also finished the passenger side quarter panel-So all I had really left was the passenger door.fender & the hood, This past month I finished the door, last week the fender, & friday I started the hood, I think somewhere on the site there's a bunch of pics of the hood work since it's a custom hood I'm making with 68 shelby vents & I also filled all the underside holes (with metal welded in) smoothed the panel edges- I'm getting ready to bond the vents in & hope to do that tomorrow. Pics to follow on that. 

IMG_9358.JPG

IMG_9359.JPG

IMG_9327.JPG

IMG_9357.JPG

IMG_9350.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back and nice to see and hear from you again! 

Life has its different plans than your Mustang sometimes - don't ask me how I know... I hadto take also a downtime in the last 5 years. 

Great you could still hang onto your Mustang and moving forward! 

Looking forward to your progress, all the best  :thumb:

Btw: found your Youtube channel by myself in the past months and enjoyed the videos about gapping and others  :beer:

Hey Q Great to see you back man!!  You, your advice, experience and knowledge have been greatly missed. I'm looking forward to your progress on the Mach and the lessons and tips you're going to share with us. Again, welcome back!!

Welcome back Q!  I look forward to you picking up where you left off.  And can’t wait for more Saturday morning garage videos.

Thanks Guys ! Yes been a long time ! I'll do what I can with pics & videos, My work area is really small so a lot of stuff needs to be done outside & I'm at the mercy of the weather, I've got a bunch of parts that have been stripped & prepped ready to epoxy prime but waiting on some good weather to do that- All my dash brackets -4 speed under dash stuff -motor mounts-etc. All the little bits & pieces to reassemble the dash-My plan is to finish the body work (just the hood left) -Than get the car driveable again- Originally I was going to wait till it was painted to do that, Will just be a lot easier being able to have it running-A few months ago I was seriously considering selling it but just couldn't do it, I'm to deep into it & the sentimental value is priceless !

Mission accomplished-I got the vents bonded in to the hood-Quite a little project here-I used S.E.M. multi-panel adhesive, great stuff ! I'll be using their epoxy based 2 component seam sealer for doing all the seam sealing-So after I bonded the vents in I had to actually weld fill a few of the holes left from the screws I used to hold the vents in place- beauty of this panel adhesive is you can actually weld with out worrying about ruining the adhesive bond of course it was only a few tacks and I made sure to keep the area cool after each tack using my air blower. If I had just filled the holes with filler no doubt over time they will telegraph or show through the paint job. Next step is doing the tedious job of filler work around the perimeter of the vent to hood joint. Man cant wait to finish this panel ! I also fitted the front hood naca vents a little tweak here & there & they are fitting really nice ! After the hood is finished I'll get the drivers side of the car in 2k blocking primer and the car will all be in 1 color !

IMG_9360.JPG

IMG_9361.JPG

IMG_9362.JPG

IMG_9363.JPG

IMG_9364.JPG

Filler work on the vents is finished !!! and the hood is in 2k blocking primer-I sanded the epoxy primer on the passenger door yesterday and will have the fender done in a few hours-Will have those 2 panels in 2k Blocking primer by the end of the day- Next up the underside of the car and seam sealing the ENTIRE car from front to back-I think for that I'm going to do a video

IMG_9372.JPG

IMG_9376.JPG

IMG_9378.JPG

SO glad to see you back at this, Scott!  Hey, if you need any advice on how to put it all back together, hit me up - I learned from the best! :rofl:

I love the Raam Mat - it's amazing how much of a difference it makes.  I know when you tap on the roof of mine, it sounds like a freaken tank!

SO glad to see you back at this, Scott!  Hey, if you need any advice on how to put it all back together, hit me up - I learned from the best! :rofl:

I love the Raam Mat - it's amazing how much of a difference it makes.  I know when you tap on the roof of mine, it sounds like a freaken tank!
LOL E, Yep back at it and finishing it this time for SURE !! Yes the Raam Mat is great stuff I've used it in all my builds !

Back