1973 351 2V

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtcs1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible, H Code
Hi,

I want to replace my car's current aftermarket #24 installed   by the correct Ford battery in my 73 vert. 

I believe there were 2 types used, the 24F and 27F. My car is Auto and has A/C. The window sticker of my car states "heavy-duty battery" at $11.49

What would be the one to use. And are the current Ford replacement (not aftermarket repro) accepted for judging purpose?

Thanks for your help

Pierre

I am not 100% sure on the number. They have the same battery with the post on opposite side also. You want the one with posts away from the inner fender. I believe the HD battery was longer so look at the length of your battery tray. I am thinking that in 71 & 72 there were two trays one longer than the other but 73 just one.

Several members that show their car in MCA have bought the repo Autolite  batteries and found them to not be very good. In 73 Ford was forced to sell Autolite due to monopoly issues so the went with the Motorcraft name. I do not know if they would take points off for using a current Motorcraft battery or not. That is what I put in my Mach 1 in the museum. It is not a show car so will not be judged. I think the still make the fake cover for the battery but I think only Autolite version.

The Osborne publications show all the battery combinations I will check when in the garage and maybe scan the page for you application.

You might also look in the Ford Facts Book on the forum it should give details on the battery also.

I am not 100% sure on the number. They have the same battery with the post on opposite side also. You want the one with posts away from the inner fender. I believe the HD battery was longer so look at the length of your battery tray. I am thinking that in 71 & 72 there were two trays one longer than the other but 73 just one.

Several members that show their car in MCA have bought the repo Autolite  batteries and found them to not be very good. In 73 Ford was forced to sell Autolite due to monopoly issues so the went with the Motorcraft name. I do not know if they would take points off for using a current Motorcraft battery or not. That is what I put in my Mach 1 in the museum. It is not a show car so will not be judged. I think the still make the fake cover for the battery but I think only Autolite version.

The Osborne publications show all the battery combinations I will check when in the garage and maybe scan the page for you application.

You might also look in the Ford Facts Book on the forum it should give details on the battery also.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My current aftermarket battery is a 24 type, with a casing of 10 1/8 in. long at the base. The tray (must be original, car has only 28000 miles) on the car  is 12 1/4 in. long. So there is room for a longer battery. I’m just wondering if the « heavy-duty battery » on the window sticker would mean the 27 type. Then I just need to find the best repro for it, as per your statement, that would be a Motorcraft.

My Ford dealer says he’s got nothing listed for before 1980 application??? I’ll have to get the correct part number here then :)

I would appreciate for sure if you can scan the Osborn page on battery for my car

I wonder if @rackerm could add to this.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed the 27FA in my 429 car, but it came with the 27F from the factory. The FA seems to be the suffix used by Ford for the closest battery to the original. It fits fine and turns the big block over, no issues. I keep a battery tender on it constantly (as well as the Group 24 Motorcraft battery in my ‘73 H Code vert.

I installed the 27FA in my 429 car, but it came with the 27F from the factory. The FA seems to be the suffix used by Ford for the closest battery to the original. It fits fine and turns the big block over, no issues. I keep a battery tender on it constantly (as well as the Group 24 Motorcraft battery in my ‘73 H Code vert.
Hi Thanks for this info . Who makes it, is it a Motorcraft one and recent?   Could you give me a part no, since my Ford dealer doesn’t have a list of batteries for my car. Are you able to confirm to me your 27FA case bottom length and width, since my tray is about 12 1/4 in long only. That would be nice from you..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have run an Interstate MT-34 in mine and it fits in the stock battery tray but the stock battery hold down will not fit it. Therefore I used an after market hold down bracket

Hi Thanks for this info . Who makes it, is it a Motorcraft one and recent?   Could you give me a part no, since my Ford dealer doesn’t have a list of batteries for my car. Are you able to confirm to me your 27FA  case bottom length and width, since my tray is about  12 1/4 in long only.  That would be nice from you..

Hello Pierre, Welcome to the forum. Below are the MCA battery judging rules for Concourse Trailered and Driven 71-73 models. 1973 model years use Motorcraft labeled batteries. If your car has A/C and/or Power Windows, and/or Rear window defroster then the group would be 24 or higher will work. Motorcraft batteries are not in reproduction as Ford still uses the "Motorcraft" name. It is very hard to find a working 1973 date coded NOS Motorcraft battery with screw caps. In the Concourse Driven class, you can get an acceptable (correct size) Motorcraft with non-screw caps from any Ford Dealer and take the 1 point deduction.

I use a Ford Motorcraft BXT-24-FA in my 351C with A/C and Power windows. It does not have screw caps but it fits the battery tray perfectly.

Battery: 71 - Autolite. 72 - Autolite or Motorcraft. 73 - Motorcraft. Group 22, 24 or 27 acceptable 6

Driven Exception:

Autolite or early Motorcraft with screw in caps ...........................no deduction

Motorcraft replacement without screw in caps . mandatory 1 point deduction

All other brands ................................................ mandatory 6 point deduction

Autolite battery cover ....................................... mandatory 3 point deduction

Workmanship, condition and cleanliness ......................................................... 1

Back