1973 Dash Pad

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible (Mach I Tribute)
I just picked up a 73 Original Ford tooling dash pad from CJ Pony and not sure if it's correct.

As you can see in pic 1 and 3 there are metal clips attached to the pad with holes in them.

In pic #4 there is a cut out with NO metal clip in it (Should there be a metal clip attached?)

In pic #2 it looks as if it was started to be cut out but not complete (is this ok or should this have been cut out with a metal clip?)

In pic # 5 (which is he opposite side of pic #1) there is no cut out with metal clip (should there be?)

Is this correct?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Hmmm, I just looked at mine and the silver strip goes across the width of the pad on both sides. The black foam material doesn't cover mine like yours. The red marked area is silver metal with no covering on mine. Hope this makes sense.

-jbojo

1.jpg

Hmmm, I just looked at mine and the silver strip goes across the width of the pad on both sides. The black foam material doesn't cover mine like yours. The red marked area is silver metal with no covering on mine. Hope this makes sense.

-jbojo
It does makes sense. If you look at my pic #4 there's a cut out but no clip.

I think they forgot to install it.

Do you have 3 clips on yours? (Pretty much the 3 metal cut outs with holes)?

I did speak with someone at CJ Pony and sent them the pics. Lets see what they say.

Thanks

-jbojo

I did speak with someone at CJ Pony and sent them the pics. Lets see what they say.

Thanks
Both sides are identical on mine. Looks like the didn't mold the strip in your other side? Here is a pic of one side, your pic 1 & 3.

-jbojo

IMG_2615[1].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

-jbojo

Thanks
Both sides are identical on mine. Looks like the didn't mold the strip in your other side? Here is a pic of one side, your pic 1 & 3.

-jbojo
Ok, you have the cut out like one of mine with no clip, plus another hole in the corner (I think it's normal to need to drill out for a clip).

CJ Pony got back to me and said that the dash pad is correct, but did make the offer of allowing me to return it.

Hope to get it installed within 2 weeks.

Let see how it goes.

I installed a new 'original tool pad' about 2 months ago. My original original pad had material across the metal strip with a few openings where the clip goes. The new pad also did but a couple of the openings were covered, I just cut out the material and there was a hole there. I did not have to drill any holes. When I was done the two looked almost identicle except for the age. And the new one looks awesome installed.

I also repainted the crown and used new crown clips since mine were all broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to drill a couple holes when I installed my original tooling dash pad. It wasn't that big of a deal really, plus the new one looks way better than the old cracked up one.

I had an order in with CJ Pony for 2 months before I finally cancelled the order and Don (OMS) hooked me up with a reproduction version that he said would fit better. He was spot on...it went right in. CJ was very unhelpful throughout the process even though I had spent a fortune there. I usually don't like knock our suppliers but on this one they really deserve it... Here's a pic of the final installation. Not the best pic but all I have right now.

steering wheel.jpg

John

I had to drill a couple holes when I installed my original tooling dash pad. It wasn't that big of a deal really, plus the new one looks way better than the old cracked up one.

Where did you drill the holes?

I was going to start to replace my dash pad this weekend, but it's raining and really would prefer to do it outside than in the garage.

Back