1973 F-Code 3 speed Vert: Pros and cons

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
Looking at a 1973 Project Vert with the factory 302 and 3 speed manual transmission

Pros and cons of this set up

Thanks for feedback!

Pros: performance parts for 302 windsors are plentiful and cheap. 'Verts are cool.

Cons: Convertiblet parts are expensive and hard to find? I think that's true anyway, I've never shopped for 'vert parts. Also, if this is a concours project then a 3 speed isn't the best for highway cruising.

Thanks for reply SM3570,the car will be used for occasional driving and local shows.

Pros: performance parts for 302 windsors are plentiful and cheap. 'Verts are cool.

Cons: Convertiblet parts are expensive and hard to find? I think that's true anyway, I've never shopped for 'vert parts. Also, if this is a concours project then a 3 speed isn't the best for highway cruising.
I think most of the vert parts are available now. The top and rubber weather strips are easy to find. The parade boot (top cover) is available. The hydraulic top pump is available, although mine is original and still working fine. The chrome hockey sticks that go around the edge of the top and rear body are available now too for around $400. So I would not be concerned about finding vert parts.

Maybe Don at OMS will chime in about parts availability.

I'm not sure what final ratio difference between a 3 and 4 speed is, but would think it would be similar for cruising.

Any other vert owners have trouble finding parts?

I found some info on several sites that both the 3 spd and the 4 spd manual transmission have the same direct 1:1 drive ratio in top gear. So the rear end ratio would determine your "comfortable" cruising speed and top speed.

It sounds like a good setup to me. Look at the positive side. Convertibles are a lot of fun and so is driving a car with a manual transmission. A 3 speed is easily changed to a 4 or 5 speed. You already have the pedal setup. There is much that can be done to the 302. I would not hesitate.

Convertibles are great - if that is what you want.

The 302 is a great motor, more economical than the 351C. Plenty of crusing power just not as brutal as a 351C.

The three speed gives you a manual (how cool is that) but kind-of says "this is the secretary's version"

As mentioned above - drivetrain is an easy fix/swap/upgrade.

How clean is the car? How good is the deal? How much do you want a convertible with standard transmission?

Thanks 72RCODE and Steven Harris: I love manual transmission Mustangs and like convertibles since here in Puerto Rico where I live is very nice year round for a convertible. Regarding the car its a project needing total restoration,according to owner floors are good but needs paint and interior work. Car is Blue Glow with blue interior white power top and a/c. Asking price is $2500.00 but open to offers. Would like someone close to check it out for me if possible.

Back