1973 Grande Build

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Joined
May 19, 2021
Messages
420
Reaction score
137
Location
Fort Mohave, AZ & So Cal
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is to make roadworthy. Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Ok, next issue/problem: I’m using the AOD out of the TBird and the TBird floor shifter (I like it better than the stock Mustang one 😬), so I’ve got to figure out how to connect the steering column/transmission key lock out rod to the AOD. Here is a picture of the rod end and the mechanism on the AOD:
A11CE382-5386-4F90-839A-671542FD2D8B.jpeg
The rod is not attached, I just rested it on top of the shifting lever to get the picture. That extra coupling at the bottom of the lever attaches to a shifting cable, so I can’t remove that. Once I get back to AZ, by Thursday, I’ll try and take a closer set of photos including mocking up the attached shift cable so it’s clearer what the issue is.

My two questions are, 1) Do I need it, 2) Is there something beside that rod I could replace it with?

Thank you, Steve
 

droptop73

Well-known member
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Jul 5, 2010
Messages
6,541
Reaction score
276
Location
Grand Rapids, MI
My Car
73 Convertible
It's more of an anti theft device than a safety one. When I converted to a 5 speed it couldn't be used any longer. One bit of info though, find a way to hold the lever on the column up. If it falls you can't get the key out and need to reach down into a likely hot engine compartment and pull it up.
 
Joined
May 19, 2021
Messages
420
Reaction score
137
Location
Fort Mohave, AZ & So Cal
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is to make roadworthy. Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Ok,thanks for the info, I’ll secure it somehow.

Well, another milestone for me, I got the driver and passenger side suspension completed, still have to install the steering parts and brake parts, but am done with my spring compressor for a while.
45102C40-14A2-49F6-B81D-48D7128BFAD7.jpeg
My punch list is still very long. Next, putting the final touches on the ECU harness and the integrated engine compartment harness.
 
Joined
Jul 27, 2021
Messages
734
Reaction score
533
Location
East Texas
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 M code 351 4 speed
Ok, next issue/problem: I’m using the AOD out of the TBird and the TBird floor shifter (I like it better than the stock Mustang one 😬), so I’ve got to figure out how to connect the steering column/transmission key lock out rod to the AOD. Here is a picture of the rod end and the mechanism on the AOD:
View attachment 63588
The rod is not attached, I just rested it on top of the shifting lever to get the picture. That extra coupling at the bottom of the lever attaches to a shifting cable, so I can’t remove that. Once I get back to AZ, by Thursday, I’ll try and take a closer set of photos including mocking up the attached shift cable so it’s clearer what the issue is.

My two questions are, 1) Do I need it, 2) Is there something beside that rod I could replace it with?

Thank you, Steve
I would imagine that with some cutting, bending, and welding you could modify the lock out rod to work with the AOD, but being that it is just an ancient anti-theft device, and not really needed, why go through all that trouble. I would just leave it off and forget about it. As Droptop73 said, just make sure hold that lever up so you can remove your key. I think that you can completely disable the thing from inside the steering column.
 
Joined
May 19, 2021
Messages
420
Reaction score
137
Location
Fort Mohave, AZ & So Cal
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is to make roadworthy. Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Well, another month, more progress. I remember a principle I learned in estimating, called the Pareto principle, the 80/20 rule. Sometimes it seems like 80 percent of the tasks to rebuild this car has taken the 20 percent of time, and that last 20 percent will take the 80 percent of time to come. Anyway, progress is slow; it was 112 today in Fort Mohave in my garage with no cooling, other than a fan. Maybe the principle is I accomplish only 20 percent with my 80 percent of effort?

Got the new radiator, power steering cooler (from a Porsche), and trans coolers mounted, with home-made mounts.

B77D95B4-39F3-46AB-BE0B-A668363D204C.jpeg 9179A14E-E019-4FFF-ABEE-5DDBF7624FE6.jpeg 21D0D576-4813-4566-A752-51BC2BCB5FFA.jpeg 97B685B7-A3FA-4EDC-84A3-DF166379CE1C.jpeg
It was tricky getting the radiator mounted, while trying to use the stock 87 TBird fan clutch. But after a week of measuring, fitting, refitting, i was able to make new lower mounts to catch the bottom stems from the radiator at the height where the installed shroud clears. Only “tight” space is top and bottom, but I’ve got 1/2” min at both, so I feel ok. I’ll see how I feel when it runs. And, in case someone wonders, it’s got more clearance in the torque direction; I thought since I had the option, to bias it in that way.

The two coolers are more fun than necessary. When I scored that small power steering cooler, new, from a water cooled 944, I thought I had to find a way to include it. I’m sure others here could do a much better job of mounting, and maybe in phase 3 (someday), I’ll make it look more professional. But they’re secure.

Next, I’ve got to take my new, stock power steering hose to a hydraulic shop and get the one end modified to fit to the stock 73 box. And, my exhaust kit arrives on Friday so I can start to build the pipe from the shorty headers to the muffler. That will be a first for me, so wish me luck. This is taking me much longer than I thought, but I have to say, I’m enjoying the hell out of it. Thanks to those who have helped me along the way. Steve
 
Top