1973 Grille Pony emblem vs. corral

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The large corral is the standard '73 grille in argent silver, which was used on all cars except for the Mach 1. The '73 Mach 1 used the black grille with small tri-bar pony. If a '73 was optioned with the Decor Group, it would get the black "Mach 1" grille, as well as the lower body black or argent paint w/bright trim, and the dog dish hubcap/trim ring. The Decor Group was only available on the base coupe or convertible. The standard wheel well moldings and rocker trim were deleted.

1657805900450.png

Last edited:
Having looked into my grandmothers 73 vert that I now have I think that you just had more flexibility when ordering a car back then. I have a base vert with Mach grill, wheel well and rocker chrome. Just to confuse things my grandma on dads side bought the car from my grandpa on moms side 🤯 so she might have been able to get more options then a regular customer. Here she isC57BC9A7-DC71-4915-85F2-FD812260C88A.jpeg
I have no way to confirm that the grill wasn’t changed at some point but neither grandparent from that side were the type to “mod” anything so if the grill were ever replaced it would have been with the type it was delivered with.
Just my .02😊

My Dad ordered his 73 Convertible with the Decor group. I think it’s cool that all the Mustangs can look a little different.

Attachments

• 5C3BC0C8-AA6F-4AC4-9AB2-99AA8AEB41A5.jpeg
    5C3BC0C8-AA6F-4AC4-9AB2-99AA8AEB41A5.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
Our 73 vert has the horse in a corral for its grill, which looks nice.

Our mach 73 Mach 1 has the Tri-Color Bar and Horse, which also looks nice. Of the two I like the horse and corral better.

Attachments

• 1973Mach1_GilAndMach1_20180612.jpg
    1973Mach1_GilAndMach1_20180612.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5595.JPG
    IMG_5595.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4855.jpg
    IMG_4855.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4500.JPG
    IMG_4500.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Having looked into my grandmothers 73 vert that I now have I think that you just had more flexibility when ordering a car back then. I have a base vert with Mach grill, wheel well and rocker chrome. Just to confuse things my grandma on dads side bought the car from my grandpa on moms side 🤯 so she might have been able to get more options then a regular customer. Here she isView attachment 65698
I have no way to confirm that the grill wasn’t changed at some point but neither grandparent from that side were the type to “mod” anything so if the grill were ever replaced it would have been with the type it was delivered with.
Just my .02😊
I think anything might be possible. Have you seen the Marti Report or the window sticker? Front end accident maybe as little as just needing a grill replacement? I've seen 69 Mustangs with mixed or big block shock towers on small block cars from factory. I think it might have the part easily available sometimes. Friday and Monday cars were allegedly less "perfect"

I think anything might be possible. Have you seen the Marti Report or the window sticker? Front end accident maybe as little as just needing a grill replacement? I've seen 69 Mustangs with mixed or big block shock towers on small block cars from factory. I think it might have the part easily available sometimes. Friday and Monday cars were allegedly less "perfect"
This was my grandmother’s, so while all of the photos I can find have the same grill the radiator support is “wrinkled” a little bit🤔. This always confused me because all the parts in the nose appear to be original and age appropriately fragile lol. One of the cosmetics I did was cleaning up from the shocks towers to the grill, rust treatment, paint, etc. Maybe it was hit back when the grill was a stock item, on the shelf at ford. Would answer me not remembering since I would have been 6 when it was new.
I guess I need to look at the paperwork, I have the sales order, window sticker etc. and this is a good excuse to finally order a Marti report.

Back