1973 Mach1 Etched glass LED sign.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantpune

Reaction score
I got myself a CNC machine and have been making all sorts of little things. My project for this afternoon was this. I found a drawing of a 71-72 mustang online. Then had the wife change the headlights and side stripes so it looks more like a 73 model. I used the CNC to engrave it on a sheet of glass. Then slapped some LED lights on it to make it a fancy sign. It looks like the LEDS and the engraved glass will look ok, so I think I'll go back now and make a frame for it to hold everything together. For the time being, the LEDs are just taped on it.

1646790385204.png

1646790415732.png

1646790519009.png
1646790554946.png
1646790602340.png

Ahh, let me know if you're gonna start selling them. :love:
Mike
If I can figure it out so the math makes sense, I can make a run of them and sell them.

The etched glass itself, I could make and sell for pretty cheap.
The electronics, just the materials, cost a few times more than the glass.
For frames, I think it would take some planning and doing a handful at once to be able to make them and keep the cost down. Or maybe find a frame at the local thrift store.

I did CNC out a frame for mine this morning. All 1 piece out of an oak board. Maybe it makes sense to just do the glass and then the buyer can treat it as an art project and make their own frame and lighting.

1646949218253.png

@mjseakan @vintageman
I went out and tweaked the program a bit. Basically added in a little bit more of a gap between the lines to maybe cut down on the little ridges chipping. This is how it looks with the lines spaced a little further apart. Let me know if you prefer this one or the first one.

And I'm open to suggestions for how to ship a pane of glass. UPS, FedEX, and USPS are all close to me. These are 8 x 10" panes. A bubble mailer probably isn't enough to protect it on its way there.

1646963129446.png

1646963228818.png

1646963274857.png

Shipping could be an issue. Maybe a cardboard box with those air pillow things?
If you do decide to do this you could just sell the glass, maybe with an option for frame/lights?

I don't know. It might be too complicated to make it worth your while.
Mike

Have you tried using acrylic instead of glass? You can do a much finer etch without the chipping. Easier to ship as well.

For LED supplies, try this place. I have used their stuff and find it a great source. They have aluminum track with diffuser lenses that can be built into a frame. Actually, they have a ton of stuff. They have line of small 110v plug in power supplies and LEDs strips that have 1/8" connector plugs like your headphones. Very slick and clean for small projects like this.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-strips-and-bars/

Very nice!

FYI, Acrylic will transmit light as good as glass with no chance of breakage. The whole perimiter does not need lighting, as you can see. And sandblasting (frosting) may suit some of the high fill areas better than all the lines.

Attachments

• Drum LED.jpg
    Drum LED.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 2
Back