1973 Mustang Convertible 429

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellogg

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
351 Cleveland 2 barrell
[url=https://ibb.co/DfkLT0S][img]https://i.ibb.co/YB8bwHq/642-F2855-CF3-C-4-BB1-9931-6-B2-C0-BB0-F17-D.jpg[/img][/url]
This mustang is going to be auctioned off in Kissimmee in January. What do you think the winning bid will be?

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/FL0116-231269/0/1973-Ford-Mustang-Convertible/4-Speed/
I'd guess the hammer will fall around 30k. Since I'm not following prices much it is a wild guess.

It is obviously a modded 73 convertible. The car looks good in the pics.

Some things I dislike are:

seat color - that red insert - not for me

shackles - I have always hated them. Would prefer the springs replaced or re-arched.

hood black (rear wing - see next comment) and lower body black paint in gloss - my preference is a more correct looking matte (semi gloss) paint texture.

rear wing on a convertible or coupe/hardtop just looks too out-of-place

Wheel opening mouldings on a muscle-engined Mustang

I rarely like them at all on any 71-3's... If they were original on a certain car - I could like them more.

FYI These are my opinions - just as some like wimbledon white cars and some like grabber blue. If the mods I mentioned are to your liking - then they actually add value to your offer toward a purchase.

Ray

It's hard to say what it might go for. It sure is a good looking car so that will help a lot. But it isn't original and as we all know the 429 didn't ever come in a 1973.

I am getting tired of 'functional ram air' being tossed around. The 1 of 50 car (see other post) makes the same claim. :shootself:

Last edited by a moderator:
This mustang is going to be auctioned off in Kissimmee in January. What do you think the winning bid will be?

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/FL0116-231269/0/1973-Ford-Mustang-Convertible/4-Speed/
I'd guess the hammer will fall around 30k. Sine I'm not following prices much it is a wild guess.

It is obviously a modded 73 convertible. The car looks good in the pics.

Some things I dislike are:

seat color - that red insert - not for me

shackles - I have always hated them. Would prefer the springs replaced or re-arched.

hood black (rear wing - see next comment) and lower body black paint in gloss - my preference is a more correct looking matte (semi gloss) paint texture.

rear wing on a convertible or coupe/hardtop just looks too out-of-place

Wheel opening mouldings on a muscle-engined Mustang

I rarely like them at all on any 71-3's... If they were original on a certain car - I could like them more.

FYI These are my opinions - just as some like wimbledon white cars and some like grabber blue. If the mods I mentioned are to your liking - then they actually add value to your offer toward a purchase.

Ray
Wow, my thoughts exactly Ray!

It's obvious that someone put a lot of work into to make it their own. I'm sure it will appeal to many. I think since I've owned my 73 over 40 years I'm more of a purist when it comes to looks and what looks out of place.

I will throw out an opinion. Unless there are two bidders there that think this car is just exactly what they dreamed of I don't think it will be $15,000. You see cars at these auctions way more original that bring less. If someone on the Forum loves this car they should be at the auction or hooked up online and bid I think most will be surprised how low it sells. I might even say less than $10,000 because pictures always look better that the car in person. Might be total rust bucket under the car or not fixed correctly. Shekels on a car today? Glossy black out defeats the whole purpose. Car is just a mix of what someone wanted or had laying around to put into a car.

Let's keep watch and just see how it goes.

David

The only thing that really bothers me about the car, is the trunk stripe being so wrongly installed. Well, that and the unclean rear tires - if you're going to claim raised white letters, at least make sure they're actually white letters (not so dirty like the back tires on this one - the fronts are nice, though).

Well, that and the non-functional Ram Air. ;)

At least they didn't claim that the 429 was a factory option - the problem is that people see the big block numbers and automatically think the car is a monster. Realistically any Ford V8 between the shock towers should carry pretty much the same weight in consideration for buying the car as a restomod, considering the options out there to make power. I wouldn't even consider the 429 to be a selling point, honestly.

Other than those few things - it looks like a solid car to me. I hope it sells well.

Hard to say from the pictures body looks nice BUT imho the 429 brings the value down. Having had a 429 car unless you just want to go in a straight line it's worthless except for the wow factor which wears off quickly. Most want to Drive a vert and the 429 just ruins the whole open air carving up the back roads going for long drives appeal. I guarantee you if you took a test ride in a 429 powered vert and then a 351 powered vert the choice would be obvious.

That being said I can't even sell the 72 vert I have here at the shop a much better more original car with a numbers matching motor with a high caliber rebuild for 16k http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5316744694.html been trying for almost 6 months..my observation is the following, anyone who walks in the shop see's the vert then my fastback has no interest in the vert but would rather have my fastback. seems the verts lately have fallen into the same as a coupe category..Everybody wants a fastback over a vert or coupe. They may get lucky and some putz is gonna see 429 and get all goo-goo eyed and may pay more than he should.

Hard to say from the pictures body looks nice BUT imho the 429 brings the value down. Having had a 429 car unless you just want to go in a straight line it's worthless except for the wow factor which wears off quickly. Most want to Drive a vert and the 429 just ruins the whole open air carving up the back roads going for long drives appeal. I guarantee you if you took a test ride in a 429 powered vert and then a 351 powered vert the choice would be obvious.

That being said I can't even sell the 72 vert I have here at the shop a much better more original car with a numbers matching motor with a high caliber rebuild for 16k http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/5316744694.html been trying for almost 6 months..my observation is the following, anyone who walks in the shop see's the vert then my fastback has no interest in the vert but would rather have my fastback. seems the verts lately have fallen into the same as a coupe category..Everybody wants a fastback over a vert or coupe. They may get lucky and some putz is gonna see 429 and get all goo-goo eyed and may pay more than he should.
Wow, I would have to disagree with this comment. Normally, I just let people have their say, but as far as I am concerned, you took it too far in your comment when considering those on this board that have a 429 vert. I guess you are just an overall expert. Good for you. I'll leave it at that...

Last edited:

Wow, I would have to disagree with this comment. Normally, I just let people have their say, but as far as I am concerned, you took it too far in your comment when considering those on this board that have a 429 vert. I guess you are just an overall expert. Good for you. I'll leave it at that...
Don't worry, if you're used to handling of C5/C6 Corvette, Ford GT, Ferrari 599 or 350Z/370Z Nissan then you can expect comments like that. Sorry to open the can of worms - it can be closed just by not writing.

IMO the only reason I found the restomod '73 vert attractive is the MANUAL transmission and the 429. Thats a manly vert. Remove the 429/manual and replace them with 351w/c+automatic it'll drop the price. I would go with the 35 grand with 429 and 25 grand maximum with sbf. I would keep the bbf+manual and only change the grill to '71-'72 Mach 1 version and would be happy puppy with the stang.

----------

edit: those rear tires are M/T ET Street Radials and obviously somebody has painted the outlines of the marking with white paint.

Last edited by a moderator:

We can agree to disagree, that's what healthy debate and opinions are about..I meant no offense what so ever just my BRUTALLY HONEST opinion having owned had first hand knowledge experience with a 429 car which I still own minus the 429. And having bought and sold many muscle cars. This is today's market. 429 is the magic word. It sucked me in, made me a victim. If I offended any members with 429 verts please except my humble apology. Understand though, that when someone asks for a opinion sometimes your not gonna like what you hear it's part of the game.

It's an interesting observation you make about the verts getting less attention than the fastbacks.

I miss my fastback... first car I ever owned and I would still have it had it not been taken out by a drunk driver. I replaced it with a convertible and I must say, while I love the fastback and the fold down rear seat, there is nothing like top down driving fun!

Back