1973 Neutral Safety Switch

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyskier

Reaction score
My Car
Does anyone know if the C4 and C6 neutral safety switches are physically interchangeable? Friends car I'm working on appears to have a C4 transmission( bolt-on bell housing and 11 pan bolts). It has both a 4 pin and a 2 pin connector on wiring harness to neutral safety switch. The C4 switches I see listed at various sites only have a 4 pin connector but the C6 switches have a 4 pin & a 2 pin.

4 pin NSS/BU switches are for 1971; 6 pin NSS/BU and Seat Belt switches are for 1972 and above. I believe the C4 and C6 switches are different as well.

Does anyone know if the C4 and C6 neutral safety switches are physically interchangeable? Friends car I'm working on appears to have a C4 transmission( bolt-on bell housing and 11 pan bolts). It has both a 4 pin and a 2 pin connector on wiring harness to neutral safety switch. The C4 switches I see listed at various sites only have a 4 pin connector but the C6 switches have a 4 pin & a 2 pin.
C9ZZ-7A247-B four plug Neutral Safety Switch for a C4 or C6 is the same for cars built after 12/15/1966-1969

D2ZP-7A247-AA, BA or D2ZZ-7A247-C Neutral Safety Switch has two four plugs and is for Mustangs/Cougars produced AFTER December 1, 1971

C9ZZ-7A247-B four plug Neutral Safety Switch for a C4 or C6 is the same for cars built after 12/15/1966-1969

D2ZP-7A247-AA, BA or D2ZZ-7A247-C Neutral Safety Switch has two four plugs and is for Mustangs/Cougars produced AFTER December 1, 1971

Thanks. I know manufacturers try to keep things as common as possible so figured this was likely the case. I'll tell him to get one of the one's advertised as being for C6.

Thanks. I know manufacturers try to keep things as common as possible so figured this was likely the case. I'll tell him to get one of the one's advertised as being for C6.
I was out of town for a while but while I was gone friend got a used switch but it was intermittent on back up light circuit. Having a second switch which could also start the car meant I could afford to ruin first switch which was completely open circuit for back up lights. Drilled it apart to find out how it worked and was able to repair it and screw it back together. Now it works great.

Back