1973 rear deluxe bumper?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubaman

Reaction score
My Car
73 convertible
I have a 1973 convertible that underwent a restoration about 20 years ago. At the time the deluxe bumper was pitted and we elected to go with a chrome bumper. Would like to find a deluxe bumper with rubber guards. Does anyone have a source of an original rear bumper? Can I add the rubber pads to my chrome bumper? How they attach?
Thanks
Stan

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 0
The deluxe rear bumper used bumper guards with rubber vertical strips and horizontal strips between the guards and outboard of the guards turned up at the ends. The guards bolt on to the bumper mounting bracket areas from the back in place of the chrome head square neck bolts. The bolts thread into the guards from the back and also hold the bumper mounting brackets to the bumper. The horizontal strips, reproductions available, fit into holes along the bumper and held on with nuts from the back. Those holes can be drilled into the bumper. I don't believe the guards are have been reproduced however. Hope this is helpful.

Hi Stan,
I have one I will be removing from our 72 to put the correct one on. Pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_1420[1].JPG
    IMG_1420[1].JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1414[1].JPG
    IMG_1414[1].JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
I have a 1973 convertible that underwent a restoration about 20 years ago. At the time the deluxe bumper was pitted and we elected to go with a chrome bumper. Would like to find a deluxe bumper with rubber guards. Does anyone have a source of an original rear bumper? Can I add the rubber pads to my chrome bumper? How they attach?
Thanks
Stan
The 73 Deluxe rear bumper had rubber strips and bumper guards. The rubber bumper guard pads and the 3 horizontal rubber strips are reproduced, As mentioned already you can drill the holes to mount the strips. If you can't find a set with good chrome. You can have them re-chromed. It cost me about $40 each plus shipping to a shop in CA about 5 years ago. Here is a pic of a deluxe bumper with the oval-shaped holes for the rubber strips and a pic of the parts and part numbers for the deluxe bumper.

Attachments

• 20151030_185023-1.jpg
    20151030_185023-1.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160317_195628x.jpg
    20160317_195628x.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Back