1973 Vert, 5,872 Miles Loaded Original!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a folder in my files with over 100 pictures of the car from 2005. I don't recall where I got them, but I've used them over the years as reference for 73 mustangs - especially finishes. Most of the pics were taken indoors at a museum or storage area that had quite a few more cars in the background.

227MustConv115.JPG

I would say $45K is about right for a time capsule like this one which is pretty much in perfect condition from top to bottom. Most folks these days will spend close to that and many, many hours of personal time to build something correctly similiar. Love to see it in person someday if the opportunity ever comes by.

That's when she was in Canada for 4 years. That guy had a never ending warehouse of cars. In 4 yrs only put on something like 17 miles on her. He is great. Told me to listen to the sound of her doors closing, sounds like a meat locker closing. You can never get that sound again with restored cars. It's so true. Every time I close those doors getting in or out, there is something so sweet about that sound.

I have had others contact me for the same purpose...for rebuild correct to spec.

Thanks for the info. I think you all are convincing me that I have her priced right. Much appreciated!!

Jim

Last year a couple very low mileage 73 verts came up for sale with hundreds of miles not thousands but they were not loaded models. I went back to eBay to look up one that sold last winter but is has dropped off the sold listings. It was sold by one of the big USED car dealers. I say used they say classic. The car had probably at least 50 items that could be seen in the pictures that were incorrect and the car sold for $46,000 & was a 73. I could not believe it.

Your car should be in a museum somewhere.

Curious about the oil seals do you have any leaks?

I suppose that since Ford announced that the 73 was to be the "last" year of convertibles, that many people had the same idea....buy 73's and just hold them like stock to later mature. However, as you mention, why take these original cars and modify is beyond me.

As far as oil, I have the oil changed once a year. Since the car only sees about 100 miles per yer, the oil is as clean coming out as it is going in. I actually have a local classic car dealership do the work so it's always professionally done and he can monitor any failing rubber. So far, no real issues. The brake lines were of little concern, but that was addressed and all good now.

I agree about the car being in a museum. I'd prefer for her to go to a purest. I've had someone call me and mention that he might buy to daily drive to have the coolest "new car" in the neighborhood. Although I'm not going to stop anyone from doing what they want, I'd really like to see her go to someone that appreciates the low mileage and originality instead of making her a daily driver just bc she is essentially a new car.

Very nice and interesting car! I noticed the late 1973 Mustang production date. About July 6 was around last prod day for 73's...

Ray

OK after thinking about this car - I wish Ford would buy it as a good example of the last of the classic Mustang convertibles. It truly represents the end of an automotive era. I think it would look great on display at THE HENRY FORD in Dearborn...

Ray

An eagle-eyed little birdie mentioned the valence to me. A guess someone added it along with the trunk rack. One could order all of those mods (trunk luggage rack, cutout valence and exhaust tips) across the dealership parts counter. But I'd say they were added and not installed that way as it left the factory.

Thanks birdie!

Ray

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think The Henry Ford idea is fantastic and have contacted them today. You got me thinking that maybe some Ford dealer would like to have it as a display. There is a LandRover dealer locally that has a classic in the showroom and I think that gets more attention than the new vehicles.

Regarding the luggage rack, exhaust tips, etc....it's all in the letter I posted from the original owner (page 2).

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think The Henry Ford idea is fantastic and have contacted them today. You got me thinking that maybe some Ford dealer would like to have it as a display. There is a LandRover dealer locally that has a classic in the showroom and I think that gets more attention than the new vehicles.

Regarding the luggage rack, exhaust tips, etc....it's all in the letter I posted from the original owner (page 2).
Maybe you could work out a trade with a dealer for a new GT 500!

Ugh, I hope not to offend anyone with this statement, but I don't like the new GT500. My love for Mustang stops at 1973.

And typo correction above.... the luggage rack info/tips/pan is on on Page 1 of the letter.

An eagle-eyed little birdie mentioned the valence to me. A guess someone added it along with the trunk rack. One could order all of those mods (trunk luggage rack, cutout valence and exhaust tips) across the dealership parts counter. But I'd say they were added and not installed that way as it left the factory.

Thanks birdie!

Ray
Ray,

If you read through the letter the original owner wrote he says he put the valance and exhaust tips on. He also said he ask the dealer not to install the front radio antenna and put the dealer optional rear antenna. He did not try to say they were factory. I thought it was odd that he looked at air conditioner and power windows as a maintenance issue.

Thanks for all the compliments! And I totally agree with you. Not that I drive her much, but in those rare occasions that I go to the garage and unzip the AirChamber to let her out for some fresh air.... my heart starts pumping faster. Nothing more thrilling than driving her. It's just time to let someone else enjoy the thrill.

Good point about the restoration. If anyone needs specific pictures to look at original configuration for a project, just let me know.

Can anyone see the letters I posted?

Thanks

Jim
Jim great story and a damm nice car.

I have one that has 44k miles on it but I am driving it and enjoying it.

If you have any pics of your engine bay markings and paper decals that you can share that would be great.

Rodney from SW Florida

On a dealer wanting it. The Ford dealer in Greenville, S.C. had a 73 that never left the lot for years. It was displayed in show room and then put in warehouse behind the dealer, never titled. I do not know if he still has or not. They had other vehicles the same way.

Jackie Jones did that with a Boss 429 was never titled for years. Went to Wisconsin and I don't know if he still has it or not. Jackie now has two never driven Cobra Jet factory drag cars in his warehouse full of odd cars. There is not telling who is out there with one with no miles.

I have told the story of a woman in Columbia, S.C.. In 1927 she heard that the Model T was going out of production so she bought several and put is storage. She would drive one until it died then get another one out. The last one never got driven and is in the museum of industry in Columbia. Might be wrong on the name of the museum. Brand new model T.

I know in the 70's I saw 1965 mustang gliders in the shipping crate for sale. New bodies with no drive train that Ford would sell.

Most of the guys that had those hoards are dying out and the families just sell everything so more and more should show up in years to come.

Never blow off a story or tale of some odd special car always check it out.

I was in the Henry Ford last year during the Mustang show in Dearborn. I was looking at the #00001 Mustang and thought that it had the wrong hood. It had the flange on the front hemmed on it and not like most 1964 1/2. I have since learned that there were three different hoods. Very early 64 1/2 had the edge hemmed but did not have the gussets along the front. Next was the hood with the gussets but the radius over each headlight was not hemmed and the last was the edge hemmed and gussets.

Just like the T code 427 Mustangs that were never made I have seen two and the VIN#had the T code. Always Always look at and check any odd cars.

thanks guys for letting me know about the letter! I sometimes view this stuff on Tapatalk mobile app through my phone.

Thanks again for the clarification!

Ray

I cant believe Frank Cone wasn't mentioned once in that letter about the car.

thanks guys for letting me know about the letter! I sometimes view this stuff on Tapatalk mobile app through my phone.

Thanks again for the clarification!

Ray
Ray,

That letter makes it quite a one of a kind does it not?

The letter goes a long way to substantiate all about the car. Of course it doesn't make the mods original. It just explains why and when they were installed. He did make a mistake in that he states he ordered the close ratio 4 speed. Well it simply wasn't offered behind the Q code Cleveland. He GOT the wide ratio. Unless he ordered a different transmission across the dealer's parts counter and had them change it out, I'd bet is still has the wide ratio 4 speed in it.

Very neat car for sure!

Thanks David! Appreciate your expertise and support. (BTW, you never told me how addicting this Forum is....tons of amazing info.)

Rodney- I'm off tomorrow, so I'll go out and snap a bunch of engine pictures for you to show stickers and such. Send me your email address.

Ray- thanks as well. Agree w the weight of the letter. I'm so thankful Dan could recall all that detail. Even today, he loves that car and still helps me. He had his 90's mustang painted exactly like the 73. Btw...where can I find susp info? If I tell Dan that he's wrong, he'll freak. Actually, he's never been wrong before, so I'd like to research what you are saying about the close vs wide before I approach him. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

Latest posts

Back