1973 Vert, 5,872 Miles Loaded Original!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks David! Appreciate your expertise and support. (BTW, you never told me how addicting this Forum is....tons of amazing info.)

Rodney- I'm off tomorrow, so I'll go out and snap a bunch of engine pictures for you to show stickers and such. Send me your email address.

Ray- thanks as well. Agree w the weight of the letter. I'm so thankful Dan could recall all that detail. Even today, he loves that car and still helps me. He had his 90's mustang painted exactly like the 73. Btw...where can I find susp info? If I tell Dan that he's wrong, he'll freak. Actually, he's never been wrong before, so I'd like to research what you are saying about the close vs wide before I approach him. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
Jim,

There is a tag on the transmission on the right front. It will have numbers and letters on it that will tell what the transmission is. My Mach 1 was held up in build due to shortage of 4 speeds and they wanted me to change to Auto and I would not. Here is a link to the best decoder site for Ford I have located. http://mustangtek.com/toploader/toploader.html

There are 99 different versions of the toploader on the list if I counted correct, but I do not see the 73 listed 71 and 72 but not 73. Some 71 CJ cars came with close ratio according to his list.

I would also like any pictures you might take for reference. I have two 73 verts.

One thing I see a lot on restored cars are the square paper stickers with letters stuck in different places. They say they are inspections done on the line. My car never came with any and I did not let the dealer do his prep, they never touched it. I think they only came into play if the car went trough a audit or a second check and not normal production.

I know you don't want to take anything apart. If you ever take the seats out and take up the carpet the Build Sheet will be under the seat, carpet or stuffed into the seat riser. That sheet tells you every thing that was put on the car at the factory. If there was anything special added it will also tell that on the bottom of the sheet. I have never looked for mine in my Mach 1 but I will this winter when I am cleaning it up. Pic of one attached for reference.

Thanks for helping members with information.

Thanks David! Appreciate your expertise and support. (BTW, you never told me how addicting this Forum is....tons of amazing info.)

Rodney- I'm off tomorrow, so I'll go out and snap a bunch of engine pictures for you to show stickers and such. Send me your email address.

Ray- thanks as well. Agree w the weight of the letter. I'm so thankful Dan could recall all that detail. Even today, he loves that car and still helps me. He had his 90's mustang painted exactly like the 73. Btw...where can I find susp info? If I tell Dan that he's wrong, he'll freak. Actually, he's never been wrong before, so I'd like to research what you are saying about the close vs wide before I approach him. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
The door tag says it is a Code 5 transmission

The only 4 speed offered in 73 - as Ray states the wide ratio 4 speed Code 5

Right he probably didn't get the close ratio but he could have if he had paid the up charge for a special order. Since the Boss 351 and HO had it the combination had been through testing so they probably would have done it.

When Marti sent me the info on my Special Order car in 73 he said there were 421 total Special Order cars that had non factory changes or something on the car that was not offered in the brochures or dealer books. So they are much more common than say the Q code 4 speed in this car.

He could not tell me any of those special order items since he did not get that info only can tell you it was a Special Order car from what he has. The individual DSO had control of those records and most if not all have been destroyed.

I disagree with that

They would not do drive train changes due to emission testing

They would not do body changes due to crash testing

Most if not all the special orders were probably paint colors

If they changed anything in the drive train or on the body, it would need to be documented. Other wise if you took the car in for warrantee work the dealer would say it was not factory.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say from all I have learned - concerning our 71-3 cars - the close ratio transmissions (code 6) were available only in 429 cars in 1971. After that, they were never offered again. ALL Boss 351's came with wide ratio 4 speeds as well as ALL 1972 HO powered cars. I have heard rumors that Ford built some Boss 351's with automatic transmission and other rumors mention air conditioning! These rumors are completely false. No matter how much money someone would offer Ford would not build a car and alter the approved drive train configurations. Test mules - maybe but none made actual production. With all the heavily pressured safety concerns and similar priorities in play because of pressure from the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) doing so would impose a very large and risky liability on Ford's products.

What all this boils down to is (from what I understand) a special order does not let you do whatever you want to whatever Ford product you want to change.

I disagree with that

They would not do drive train changes due to emission testing

They would not do body changes due to crash testing

Most if not all the special orders were probably paint colors

If they changed anything in the drive train or on the body, it would need to be documented. Other wise if you took the car in for warrantee work the dealer would say it was not factory.
I do understand that as I stated in previous note but they did put a different rear in my car new from the factory. After I broke 3 of them they called in a Ford representative and when he put my Mach 1 on the lift and he went under he immediately said it has the wrong rear & drive shaft in it and they changed it and also to a gear ratio that was not optional.

The last few months of production got a mixture of parts for sure, Cougar wire harness, seat backs off Pinto solid plastic seats instead of comfort weave and lots of other odd things just to finish out the model and not spend money. When I showed my Mach 1 in a MCA National in Atlanta they said most of my fasteners were incorrect. That is why I never went back. I never changed the fasteners Ford did. If they ran out of a part they substituted a part that would work.

At my previous job we made the floor pan assemblies for the Aerostar van. In a random weld tear down at Ford they found bad spot welds in our assembly. There was a huge recall and we purchased every 1/8" pop rivet in the U.S. to use for the Ford approved repair of drilling holes and adding aluminum pop rivets to replace the bad welds. Probably any of us in the Forum if we found something like that would say Ford never did that but they did. We welded 4" wide patches in the rear panels on Chrown Vics to prevent scrapping the cars. The patches were hidden after assembly and sealed just like any other body panel.

Look at the 427 cars that got out that were never made. No testing whatsoever in durability, crash or emissions. They were made to make people think the 390, that was going into production, was a hot number so magazines got 427 cars to test and a few still exist.

VW would never program their computers to lie while under inspection would they. The auto world does what ever it takes to make a few more pennies and some things they do are just not good. Chrysler was just caught last week lying about production numbers asking the dealers to turn in more sales at the end of the month than they actually had and then remove them at the first of the next month. Kept them looking good sales were climbing and investors and future investors were so happy.

I personally saw Toyota weld a band-aid to the area of the car where the impact from the crash testing would hit to pass the test, size of your hand. If it hit 2 inches either way it would not pass. Good luck on your crash being in just the right spot. They all cut every corner they can to reduce cost and get by with as little as they can.

I do not think a little thing like gear ratio in a transmission would stop them from charging extra and putting one in.

The final ratio of both the close and wide ratio transmissions are the same so no change to emissions and would not change crash.

I worked with the automotive world too many years I have lots of hard feelings about how they lead the sheep down the path to slaughter. I will never buy a new Ford car or any car again. They are taking everyone's money and telling you how great they are and they beat their suppliers up everyday and get cheaper prices for all the components with yearly give backs to keep the business and go up on price instead of down.

I know for a fact that a BMW cost less than $15,000 out the door for cars they sell for in the $60's. I know Ford builds a F-150 or Mustangs for much less but look at those prices. Just don't want people to think the automotive world is straight as an arrow. Probably the most corrupt group of people in manufacturing. Glad I can type with both hands, lol.

I wish more people with Special Order cars would show up they have to be out there Marti says there are hundreds each year.

Jim
Jim

[email protected]

Thanks

I will say from all I have learned - concerning our 71-3 cars - the close ratio transmissions (code 6) were available only in 429 cars in 1971. After that, they were never offered again. ALL Boss 351's came with wide ratio 4 speeds as well as ALL 1972 HO powered cars. I have heard rumors that Ford built some Boss 351's with automatic transmission and other rumors mention air conditioning! These rumors are completely false. No matter how much money someone would offer Ford would not build a car and alter the approved drive train configurations. Test mules - maybe but none made actual production. With all the heavily pressured safety concerns and similar priorities in play because of pressure from the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) doing so would impose a very large and risky liability on Ford's products.

What all this boils down to is (from what I understand) a special order does not let you do whatever you want to whatever Ford product you want to change.
The HO did not get the close but the discussion is still open on the Boss 1 cars. It is not confirmed that all came with the smaller wide ratio transmission.

I can confirm that my Mach 1 did come with a non optional rear & driveshaft from the factory. Ford put it in and after breaking 3 times they replaced it with the correct rear and driveshaft & also changed it from a 3.25 to a 3.50 on the recommendation from the Ford Factory Rep. No I don't have proof of this Ford change because I did not pay for any of the work, under warranty. This dealer knew when I bought the car it was going to be punished not just driven. They had sold me too many gears, clutches and drive train parts in the past.

Car companies do lots of things to keep the assembly lines going and pump the cars out that they would never admit to.

How many 351 CJ's 4-V with ram air made it out of the factory in 72 before they figured out they forgot to test? Somewhere mid year I have been told of 72. So probably hundreds out there that were never tested or approved. Ford or any car company is not perfect and are there to make money selling cars.

I apologize for taking this thread off course and won't post more here.

I would still be interested in seeing the tag on the transmission to see if he pulled it off.

Hi All,

Just to keep you posted, i ended up selling my beautiful mustang last night. I think the buyer got a pretty amazing deal, but sounds like she's going to a good home so it's all good in my book.

For those that I owe pictures to for your restoration projects, I haven't forgotten about you. Just traveling a bit, but I will send as soon as I can.

Best,

Jim

Congrats on the sale

I am pleasantly surprised by the number

Sales seem to be down lately

Thanks for posting

Hi All,

Just to keep you posted, i ended up selling my beautiful mustang last night. I think the buyer got a pretty amazing deal, but sounds like she's going to a good home so it's all good in my book.

For those that I owe pictures to for your restoration projects, I haven't forgotten about you. Just traveling a bit, but I will send as soon as I can.

Best,

Jim
Congrats, make sure you tell her about 7173Mustangs.com!

Congratulations on the sale but I am surprised it did not bring more than the very incorrect one did. $40,000 was a deal for sure cannot build one for that and they are only original once and after that they are modified. Well heck even this one had modifications but owner did not try to hide them.

It looks like the bidder had not bid on anything in last 30 days so probably a serious bidder. When they have bid on 15 different cars of all makes you know they are just playing.

Congratulations on the sale but I am surprised it did not bring more than the very incorrect one did. $40,000 was a deal for sure cannot build one for that and they are only original once and after that they are modified. Well heck even this one had modifications but owner did not try to hide them.

It looks like the bidder had not bid on anything in last 30 days so probably a serious bidder. When they have bid on 15 different cars of all makes you know they are just playing.
Yeah... Not quite going to agree with the statement above, after being original once, they are modified... I think that is taking a true restoration a little too far IMO. Not going to get into it here, but, in some cases, cars are required to be restored back to factory condition where possible due to their becoming no longer road worthy; certainly does not make them "modified"...

I agree Pastel Blue. My car was very original when I bought it but not very safe to drive. After I replaced leaking brake lines and wheel cylinders, seat belts, hoses, belts, voltage regulator, speedometer cable, battery cables, battery tray, headlights, dash lights and carburetor which I consider maintenance items the car is now safe to drive. Unless you want a trailer queen I don't think you have a lot of options. On interiors and body mods that a different story.

John J

Hi David, etc al,

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you.

David....I was wrong. The we'll liner is white. See attach pics. Also, for those that ask for pics of original engine marrkings, I have sent.

Thanks

Jim

20160808_134551.jpg

20160808_134559.jpg

20160808_144927.jpg

20160808_144916.jpg

Back