1973 Vert, 5,872 Miles Loaded Original!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
This is one of the best 73 verts I have seen and I love the Green exterior and Ginger interior. It is also loaded with the best options including Q code, 4 speed, NASA hood with Argent, Decor Group, tilt, leather wheel, comp. suspension, gauges, on & on. With 5,872 miles and absolutely no rust or damage it is a beauty. $45,000 BIN price. If you want a great one this is the one you should get for less than doing a restore.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-/282102672664?forcerrptr=true&hash=item41aea12d18:g:HMsAAOSw0fhXiYdj&item=282102672664

My drugs are working.

Going to ask seller what the color of the top well is? Some have said it is determined by top color and some interior color? It has a black top I am betting it will be black well liner.

That car has some serious extras. I bet all those extras would have added some big bill on top of the list price for the fortunate buyer

(No smiley available drooling or i would have used it many times)

Black top as per the Marti report...

I had a '73 Q Code 4 speed Mach 1, gold glow paint and similar ginger interior; loaded with AC, PW, rim blow, factory aluminum wheels, etc. And with only 35k miles original. Bought it out of Atlanta area about 10 years ago. I just missed out on being able to buy it before the owner re-painted it (for the first time) thinking that would help the sale... Ouch. Beautiful car, but I was still on the BB hunt and sold it to a gentleman in the Kingston, Ontario area. Other then the paint, was the most original 'stang I had the pleasure of owning. The repaint just did me in on keeping the car at the time, or the fact that I just missed getting a completely original car all for the fact that the owner did not realize the value and significance in leaving the original paint alone...

This is a nice car, might be some wiggle room on it.

Question is the front end correct ? The heads light trim are paint black and I think that a Mach 1 grill. My 73 vert front doesn't look like that. What is factory correct.

John J

Hi All,

I'm the owner of this car. (Thanks David for telling me about this forum!)

The top is black, the front end is original and there is some wiggle room in the price. The gentleman I bought the car from paid more than what I'm asking, but then to Tommy's point...it's all about the market.

Some additional info. I've never washed her. I think she has only seen water once...the day she was delivered to the MD Ford dealership. I'll attempt to attach a letter from the original owner written in 04'. It's an interesting read.

Thanks,

Jim

Letter 1.jpgLetter 1.jpg

Letter 2.jpg

Question is the front end correct ? The heads light trim are paint black and I think that a Mach 1 grill. My 73 vert front doesn't look like that. What is factory correct.

John J
John,

That is correct because he has the Decor Group. The lower side black out and side trim gives you the Mach 1 grill. He ordered the NASA hood also and argent treatment. It is correct.

Hi All,

I'm the owner of this car. (Thanks David for telling me about this forum!)

The top is black, the front end is original and there is some wiggle room in the price. The gentleman I bought the car from paid more than what I'm asking, but then to Tommy's point...it's all about the market.

Some additional info. I've never washed her. I think she has only seen water once...the day she was delivered to the MD Ford dealership. I'll attempt to attach a letter from the original owner written in 04'. It's an interesting read.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Glad you came over to the forum. It is interesting that you did not wash it. I keep telling members here to never wash their car with a hose, pressure wash or car wash. It just gets water in all the wrong places and keeps the rust fed. I use just a bucket of clean water myself and keep the towel rinsed clean. No reason to use a hose unless you have been in a tractor pull or something. Of course my 73 Mach 1 has not been even towel washed in 33 years just sits there with cover on it and gathers dust under the cover. I hope to wash it in a couple months when garage is up.

I think your car is worth the price. Go find a rust free no damage car with the options you have and pay someone to take it apart and restore it. Probably north of $100,000 when you are finished and not worth as much as your car. If I had not bought so many and building garage I would go for it.

I will PM you would like to get some detailed pics of some areas. I have a 73 vert with 48,000 miles and doing a deep detail on it now. No where near what you have.

What color is the top well liner?? Black?

Oh by the way I could not read the letter. You could scan and attach the file then we can blow it up and easier to read.

Last edited by a moderator:

John J
John,

That is correct because he has the Decor Group. The lower side black out and side trim gives you the Mach 1 grill. He ordered the NASA hood also and argent treatment. It is correct.
OK thanks David. Most of the verts I have seen in the Midwest where like mine. I did not know that you could get a different grill. Mine is the typical grill you see on most verts.

DSCN3614 (2).jpg

That's exactly why I don't wash it!

If you are referring to the inside of the convertible top, that is black as well. Sorry about the pics, I'll try to upload again. Hopefully this works.

Thanks!

Letter 1.jpg

Letter 2.jpg

Very nice convert. Good luck with the sale.

My 73 convert has not been wet since the restoration in 2010. I did wash the tires once after getting a little muddy at a car show field. Started to sprinkle rain once as I was pulling into garage, but barely had a few drops on it.

Oh, I dunno... I'm not sure what dollar value you put on driving a 351 Cobra Jet 4 speed convertible and my car has most certainly been rode hard and put away wet far more than the car in the post. However, pretty much every time I drive mine, it feels like it is worth every penny and hour of time I have put into it.

Good luck with the auction. It looks like a great car and excellent resource for those in restoration.

IMG_0227b (1).jpg

Thanks for all the compliments! And I totally agree with you. Not that I drive her much, but in those rare occasions that I go to the garage and unzip the AirChamber to let her out for some fresh air.... my heart starts pumping faster. Nothing more thrilling than driving her. It's just time to let someone else enjoy the thrill.

Good point about the restoration. If anyone needs specific pictures to look at original configuration for a project, just let me know.

Can anyone see the letters I posted?

Thanks

Jim

How's this? (I know all about the eye issues!)
Yeah thats better :D Its great you have so much history with the car. I had to keep rereading as i saw prices giong up over time. This is totally opposed to new cars of today. Quality will always win over and these Mustangs have heart and sole.

I just wish the money was in place to buy this fabulous piece of history. I have to go down the road of buying with the intention of a full restoration.

BTW did you trace all the previous owners

That's exactly why I don't wash it!

If you are referring to the inside of the convertible top, that is black as well. Sorry about the pics, I'll try to upload again. Hopefully this works.

Thanks!
What I was asking color of is what I call the well liner. It is the vinyl material that closes off the trunk area from the rear seat partition and the top goes into when down. If is is black then that might answer my question. I bought a crashed one owner 72 it had a black top, Ginger interior and a black well liner. My yellow 73 with original paint had a white top, white interior and a white well liner but the grain on the material is not right for an original. That is something else I would like to see close up picture of is the grain of the material in the well liner. I was wondering if Ford only put either white or black or did the top color change the well liner color?

When you got white interior the console was black, carpet black, and dash pad and dash is black. The A post covers are black. All the other interior colors had matching color for those parts. Just don't know about the well liners.

Read the letter or the two pages in the second post, car changed hands a lot. Odd that he thought p.w. and air were pron to give issues.

Thanks for posting the info.

Fantastic! Glad you could read it.

Yes, I traced the previous owners. I actually have a tracker....a spreadsheet with each owner and the exact amount of mileage they put on her. Lots of pics and letters/emails from them.

I'm in research for a living and spent years trying to find a low mileage, original, convertible, 4-speed manual with a NASA hood. That was the goal. I've owned a few 67's Fastbacks (which always seemed most popular and I never had an issue when I wanted to part with them...sold in minutes). The 71-73 body just spoke to me. To me there has never been a better, sexier trim than the large body mustang convertible.

At the time when I found her, my wife was sick of my car hobby. (I'm sure like so many out there.) However, I convinced her on this car b/c it's a 73' (the year she was born) and I was turning 40. It was my 40 b-day present to fly to Georgia just to "see" her...not to buy. However, the minute I saw her, I knew she was coming home with me...regardless of the wife. The car is much sexier anyway!

Well liner is black too. When I get a chance, I'll snap some pics so you can see the grain of the material. Thanks!

Back