1980 Ford Bronco XLT 4X4

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Fredensborg

I like music, languages, weaponry, and freedom.
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
1980 Bronco
A couple modern Fords
Well, the gods have bestowed another aging blue oval on me for caretaking...a 1980 Bronco 4x4 with a 302 with rotten exhaust and some rusty wheelhouses/fenders to try to fix. I think got a pretty good deal on it, but time will tell as I really have my work cut out for me with the rust issues. My son and I even had our first adventure in it, while out for a drive today to start getting acquainted with the truck we had a muffler fall off on the highway! Thank god it wasn't busy and it didn't hit someone! I knew the exhaust was in need of some love, but I should have looked closer before going for a pleasure cruise I guess!! Hopefully its not a sign of things to come with it! Anyway, for those who are interested, here is a quick look at it in my driveway where I show off my new toy and go over its flaws a bit. Enjoy!

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Love it, Love it, Love it! Congratulations!! But you're right, that boy definitely looks like he's skipped more than just a few leg days. LOL!

Probably just need to try on a few of the forums to see what's out there. If it's got a 351M or 400M, there aren't too many performance options, but there is still hope to squeeze a little more oomph out of it. Definitely look into swapping diff gears if you upsize the tires.

Good luck with it - can't wait to see what you come up with!

Lazarus

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible 302
1972 Mustang Convertible 351-2V/TKO600
I have a need, a need for speed....😆

What the best Bronco forum out there in the interwebs?? I've already got a que of stupid questions to ask about the Bronco. That motor is a total pooch!

Fullsizebronco.com is the forum you are looking for. Do an intro post and someone will respond with a lot of detail on how to get going.

Congrats on picking up your Bronco!

A07FC92A-5848-4B0A-B885-F06D8B7C8C52.jpeg

Fredensborg

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
1980 Bronco
A couple modern Fords
Thanks Lazarus! I coincidentally found that site on my own and started a thread. Seems like a knowledgeable bunch over there. I’m sending that meme to my brother, he’s got a Jeep! 😂

Fredensborg

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
1980 Bronco
A couple modern Fords
Love it, Love it, Love it! Congratulations!! But you're right, that boy definitely looks like he's skipped more than just a few leg days. LOL!

Probably just need to try on a few of the forums to see what's out there. If it's got a 351M or 400M, there aren't too many performance options, but there is still hope to squeeze a little more oomph out of it. Definitely look into swapping diff gears if you upsize the tires.

Good luck with it - can't wait to see what you come up with!
It’s got a 302, so the bolt on options should be endless I would think. I don’t need it to melt tires, but it would be nice if I could pass someone on the highway! 😀

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
In 1980 a combination of low compression ratios and valve timing didn't leave the 302s with much power to move around. You can improve the performance some with a different camshaft, but the low compression ratio will limit what you can get out of it.
A fuel injected 302 or 351W out of a later pickup or Bronco will give you a big improvement at a reasonable cost. The conversion to fuel injection is fairly easy if you also get all of the wiring harnesses and computer.

Reaction score
My Car
71 conv,429cj, 4spd 3.5 N-case, it's not an original but the running gear is correct.

69 Fastback, it's a project.
Google “ bullnose forum “. Tons of info, really nice people. I have a 80 F350 and that forum has been a tremendous help.8462C6FD-03FE-48E2-8947-2D1BA5AB8327.jpeg

Fredensborg

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
1980 Bronco
A couple modern Fords
Google “ bullnose forum “. Tons of info, really nice people. I have a 80 F350 and that forum has been a tremendous help.View attachment 66361
I found that forum as well, your right…the info there looked pretty all-encompassing. Didn’t look like there was much activity there through, and that interface is butt ugly and cumbersome. Why can’t all forums be as sexy as 7173mustangs???? 😀

Fredensborg

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
1980 Bronco
A couple modern Fords
In 1980 a combination of low compression ratios and valve timing didn't leave the 302s with much power to move around. You can improve the performance some with a different camshaft, but the low compression ratio will limit what you can get out of it.
A fuel injected 302 or 351W out of a later pickup or Bronco will give you a big improvement at a reasonable cost. The conversion to fuel injection is fairly easy if you also get all of the wiring harnesses and computer.
But if I were to get different heads, couldn’t that bump up the compression? Or is a 1980 block just a POS all around and not worth trying to beef up?

Lazarus

Reaction score
My Car
Ouch... that hurts my Jeep ego. Thanks, Brother. LOL!
View attachment 66357
Whoops! Yeah I was afraid I’d offend somebody with that one. Actually one of my best buddies is a Jeep guy, and I know for off-roading there really is no beating one. We have been keeping an eye out for the right Jeepster Commando to fix up for a while.

That’s a sweet looking Jeep brother. I dig the color and the graphics.

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
But if I were to get different heads, couldn’t that bump up the compression? Or is a 1980 block just a POS all around and not worth trying to beef up?
Yes, if you got some heads with smaller chambers that would help. Getting GT40-P heads will help compression and breathing.

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Whoops! Yeah I was afraid I’d offend somebody with that one. Actually one of my best buddies is a Jeep guy, and I know for off-roading there really is no beating one. We have been keeping an eye out for the right Jeepster Commando to fix up for a while.

That’s a sweet looking Jeep brother. I dig the color and the graphics.
No worries - cracked me up, actually. Just had to hit ya back. LOL! I've always been a gray-scale guy (especially, since I'm slightly color-blind), so when I learned my Mach 1 was light pewter, I was sold on the color. The side graphics/tire tread stripe are cover/distractor from all the Mesquite Tree pin stripes from wheelin' over the years on original Smoke Grey paint I color-sanded and buffed out back in the late 2000s (I may never need to repaint it at this rate if it keeps staying nice).

Lazarus

Reaction score
My Car
@Lazarus @cjstaci , Are you on the FSB site? I'll follow you on there if so.
I am on but haven’t logged in in a long time. It is by far the most informative site for FS Broncos, but it isn’t quite as social as here. They have a bit of a hierarchy and it takes a while to get out of noob status; I haven’t really bothered to do it.

I did see your posts though. Looks like a great truck, and a great deal. I am surprised by the pretty clean looking floors and undercarriage. I also really like the vintage upholstery. My Bronco is also a 302 and is pretty sluggish off the line but after a while I got used to it. I suppose if the engine fails I will put something stronger in it, but the 302 actually runs pretty well and I am in no hurry.