2 chamber muffler choices

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustangandy

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Cobra Jet 429 Ram Air C6 auto 3.50 traction loc
[url=https://ibb.co/Wtx4kTW][img]https://i.ibb.co/dgWwPh0/mine1.jpg[/img][/url]
I'd like to change the old exhaust system on my 1971 big block 429 CJ. I'm keeping the iron headers (for ground clearance) and prefer the 'dugga dugga' sound of 2 chamber type mufflers rather than turbo's. Guess that means something like flow masters (40 series, super 44, super 40 or delta 40's) or maybe summit racing versions? Will go H pipe as well. Not a daily driver so can be quite loud but not too heavy on drone if possible. I've checked this forum and you tube clips etc but wondered if anyone here has used any of these on a big block and what their thoughts might be? Cheers.

It's more the quality of the sound rather than just the decibels I'm after! I gather that the h-pipe helps give more of an old school muscle car rumble (whereas an x-pipe is more a race type roar?) as well as maximising torque so that's definitely my preference. I'll also keep to a 21/4" diameter pipe (rather than increase to 2.5") as I don't plan to go too mad on engine tweeks.

It's more the quality of the sound rather than just the decibels I'm after! I gather that the h-pipe helps give more of an old school muscle car rumble (whereas an x-pipe is more a race type roar?) as well as maximising torque so that's definitely my preference. I'll also keep to a 21/4" diameter pipe (rather than increase to 2.5") as I don't plan to go too mad on engine tweeks.
Has to be a real trade-off. I had Flowmaster 40's on my car and loved to sound - but just couldn't live with the drone and found that nothing could be done about. They would be OK if you just drive the car occasionally and not much on the highway. I use my car as a daily driver and switched to turbos which still have a little rumble but no drone.

Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers may be an option. I ran them once, a long time ago, and liked them. Chuck

Everyone has a right to their likes and dis-likes in exhaust sound. Having said that, mine is that a divorced (no cross over of any kind) dual exhaust system sounds much like passing gas in the bathtub only louder and more annoying. The H pipe gives more bass than the X pipe. The difference in power is negligible. Chuck

Couldn't agree more, Chuck. ::thumb::

I have Pypes Street Pros on mine (came with a Pypes 2.5" exhaust w/X-pipe).  It sounds cool at idle with no drone at speed - mine has more of a 'dugida, dugida, dugida' sound though.

I've also heard Magnaflows are great pass-thru mufflers with no drone as well.

All of that aside, I think a large part of the 'duga, duga, duga' sound has a lot more to do with cam choice than mufflers (and exhaust system style).  The more aggressive the cam, the more 'dugida, dugida, dugida' sound will come through (as greater cam lobe separation tends to space things out a bit).

I just added Flowmaster FX mufflers to the 71 I did. It sounds good without any drone when driving.  
Thanks for the clip. Sounds a bit like what I have on already - I guess it's an oem style system - would like a bit more rumble really

Thanks for the Hooker aerochamber suggestion. I'd not heard of those before. Seems like a unique design, well made and no dearer than flowmasters. Great sound too. I presume an oem style h-pipe and the intermediate/post muffler pipes should hook up readily and mean a reasonable fit? Have to weld hangers on by the looks? I'd aim to fit the system myself but don't have any pipe bending skills or equipment so hopefully not too much fettling would be required.

Thanks for the Hooker aerochamber suggestion. I'd not heard of those before. Seems like a unique design, well made and no dearer than flowmasters. Great sound too. I presume an oem style h-pipe and the intermediate/post muffler pipes should hook up readily and mean a reasonable fit? Have to weld hangers on by the looks? I'd aim to fit the system myself but don't have any pipe bending skills or equipment so hopefully not too much fettling would be required.
All Mustangs 65-73 use a muffler configuration known as "offset inlet - center outlet", such as the Aerochamber # 21501HKR, which is 2 1/4", or 21502HKR for 2 1/2". They should be a near-direct replacement for a factory muffler. You'll have to use a universal hanger on the outlet pipe, or weld on the factory style brackets. 

The sound is smooth and deep. My personal experience is with a friend's 70 Road Runner with a 400. He had Flowmaster 40s on it with dumps at the rear axle and you couldn't hear yourself think on the highway. He swapped out to Aerochambers, still with dumps, and the car was totally changed. It was still loud inside, but you could carry on a conversation at normal voice levels and that tinny, raspy Flowmaster sound was gone.

Back