2012 front end on 1972 Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no bueno, the front to me does not flow.

They did one hell of a job, but it looks terrible. Quite frankly, I'd prefer Pegasus with a different grille insert over this thing.

Biggest issue with the styling is that the '71/73 needs its original droop-nose silhouette to match with whatever nose one mounts on it. Instead of doing so, the creators of this car set the new nose at the S197's stock ride height to prevent channeling the front bumper (which is too flat on the sides to match up with the tuck-under bodyside). This was a perfect opportunity to take a cue from the Reversion Mustang and graft a 1973 front valance under the 2012 bumper, rather than the end result.

What's more, the fifth-generation Mustang interior feels like you're sitting in a bathtub - putting it in a '71-73 isn't an improvement. I'm not saying the '71/73 isn't without high beltlines, but I don't have to raise myself out of the driver's seat just to see where I'm going.

-Kurt

Just did this in Photoshop. Meh.

Better than what they came up with, anyway.

bgtk51.jpg

I'll stick with this, which was Photoshopped from a 2011. Flattening the nose did a world of good for it:

1973modmustangconcept.jpg

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
They did one hell of a job, but it looks terrible. Quite frankly, I'd prefer Pegasus with a different grille insert over this thing.

Biggest issue with the styling is that the '71/73 needs its original droop-nose silhouette with whatever nose one mounts on it. Instead of doing so, the creators of this car set the new nose at the stock ride height to prevent channeling the front bumper (which is too flat on the sides to match up with the tuck-under bodyside). This was a perfect opportunity to take a cue from the Reversion Mustang and graft a 1973 front valance under the 2012 bumper.

What's more, the fifth-generation Mustang interior feels like you're sitting in a bathtub - putting it in a '71-73 isn't an improvement. I'm not saying the '71/73 isn't without high beltlines, but I don't have to raise myself out of the driver's seat just to see where I'm going.

-Kurt
I actually find my 2010 feels like I am sitting way up high, maybe because I'm tall.

Biggest issue with the styling is that the '71/73 needs its original droop-nose silhouette with whatever nose one mounts on it. Instead of doing so, the creators of this car set the new nose at the stock ride height to prevent channeling the front bumper (which is too flat on the sides to match up with the tuck-under bodyside). This was a perfect opportunity to take a cue from the Reversion Mustang and graft a 1973 front valance under the 2012 bumper.

-Kurt

Just did this in Photoshop. Meh.

Better than what they came up with, anyway.

bgtk51.jpg

I'll stick with this, which was Photoshopped from a 2011. Flattening the nose did a world of good for it:

1973modmustangconcept.jpg

-Kurt
You've hit the nail on the head, the front of the car (thread starter) is too thick which throws the rest of the car out of proportion..

I'm not feeling a restomod but I would like to see a new model Mustang with 71-73 retro styling! Maybe some NASA vents in the hood or a fastback along with some of our body lines! That would be cool!

Back