2015 Mustang Rack and Pinion unit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
So as I am knee deep in projects including a build of a 1928 Ford Model A Tudor I am always looking for new options.

I am putting in a front suspension out of a C-4 and was thinking of using a manual Mustang rack to deal with crossmember/frame width mismatches.

Out of curiosity I looked up the 2015 Mustang Rack and Pinion unit as it drives very nicely in my daily driver.  Dimensionally, it is spot on for what I need-

but the assist appears to be an electrically powered hydraulic pump.  I am certain there is more to it in the steering column or somewhere as it must get a signal to allow the variable effect and the ability to push a button to change the amount of assist (three levels from the factory)

I'm just a little stumped as to whether I can make that portion work well enough to try and use it.

The entire R&P unit is only 499.95 which while not cheap, is certainly a fair price for the part if I can make it work.

Anyone here have a suggestion as to how to make the electrical side work besides a potentiometer on the dash?

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
I believe the electrical power steering used in the newer Mustangs is integral in the rack. Smaller ford vehicles use an electrically assisted column with a manual steering gear. No hydraulics involved.

The system requires two connections, one from the battery, and the other from the ECM. From what I can tell, the signal from the ECM is so the power steering can adjust the amount of assist based on speed. I don't know whether this is pulses from the speed sensor module or if the ECM generates a different signal to tell the power steering how much assist to apply, more at low speeds and less at higher speeds.

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q code Mach 1
1.) I think you are right- this is not the rack I saw, but appears that it is the 2015 Mustang Rack

2) issue remains the same-does anyone know the Canbus output signal range and its signal source to make it work in a non standard environment?

Thanks for helping me to frame the question properly