245/60 on a 7 inch wheel

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
I have a Grabber Lime Boss 351. The added bonus is it has a Gear Vendor overdrive for added drive-ability.
I have been reading all of the wheel/tire threads I can as I get ready to replace my tires. Here is my situation. The PO purchased the car with Magnum 500's but when he got the Marti report found that the car had been ordered with Sport Wheel covers. So he procured a set of those, new in the box  and paired them with Polyglass F60 15's. He kept the Magnum and put 245/60 Radial T/A's on them. I have never put the Magnums on, too much trouble to switch wheels. I don't participate in any show where they care about what type of tire you use and most folks don't even realize the Sport Wheel covers are actually hubcaps. I need to replace the Polyglass because they are way too old and the radial T/A's are 10 years old so I don't want to use them. I actually don't mind the Sport Wheel covers so I was thinking of putting radials on the steel wheels, continue to use the Sport Wheel covers and dumping the Magnums.

Here is my question. I am assuming that my Magnums are 7 inches wide but everything I read indicated 235/60 was about as big as you can go on 7 inches. Does 245/60 work on a 7 inch wheel? What size should I use on my steel wheels? Does the width of the tire ever interfere with the hub cap if the tire is too wide?

245s will be fine on 7-inch wheels, the 75% that is used for matching tires to wheels is only a recommendation. 75% width of a 245 is 7.2 inches, not much larger than 7.

Large inflated tires will not interfere with wheel covers.

I agree with you not using the old tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on Don C's post. 245s will work fine in most cases. There may a rub on the bolt heads securing the steering box to the frame when at full left wheel lock. Chuck

My car came with the caps as well and like you (PO), I sourced an NOS set of 14" Sport Caps for my restoration. I have used the Polyglass in the past, just terrible driving tires. Although my car won't see serious duty, I still went with Radial 225/70/14's which is a slightly larger size size then the factory 205's. I went with BFG's as well. I think the Sport Caps are pretty nice on these cars...

Last edited:
I have been reading all of the wheel/tire threads I can as I get ready to replace my tires. Here is my situation. The PO purchased the car with Magnum 500's but when he got the Marti report found that the car had been ordered with Sport Wheel covers. So he procured a set of those, new in the box and paired them with Polyglass F60 15's. He kept the Magnum and put 245/60 Radial T/A's on them. I have never put the Magnums on, too much trouble to switch wheels. I don't participate in any show where they care about what type of tire you use and most folks don't even realize the Sport Wheel covers are actually hubcaps. I need to replace the Polyglass because they are way too old and the radial T/A's are 10 years old so I don't want to use them. I actually don't mind the Sport Wheel covers so I was thinking of putting radials on the steel wheels, continue to use the Sport Wheel covers and dumping the Magnums.

Here is my question. I am assuming that my Magnums are 7 inches wide but everything I read indicated 235/60 was about as big as you can go on 7 inches. Does 245/60 work on a 7 inch wheel? What size should I use on my steel wheels? Does the width of the tire ever interfere with the hub cap if the tire is too wide?
Agree with others your combo is no problem. I ran the same setup for many years.
Chris

On my car, 235's on 7", front, 245 on 8" rear. 245's looked like they were bulging out too much for my liking. As I was buying new rims anyway, I went with 8's for that size tire.

On my car, 235's on 7", front, 245 on 8" rear. 245's looked like they were bulging out too much for my liking. As I was buying new rims anyway, I went with 8's for that size tire.
Agreed, 8" is preferred but no "problem" with 7's

Back