27 Years Later- I am back in a Mach 1...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teach

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
1974 Audi Coupe' S (fastback coupe)
1982 Audi Coupe
My name is Rob and I like cars. Alright, I like anything mechanical, but cars can be beautiful and go fast. I had my first Mach 1 when I was in high school. The body never made it beyond primer but it was fun and fast. I traded it in toward something that got better gas mileage but have never stopped appreciating them. I have had one car project or another since then but they have been mostly German cars.

Three months ago I got a lead on a '73 Mach I. That same day I negotiated to trade two of my German cars and some cash and it was a done deal...sort of. My wife did not approve. The two I was trading in had been with me 20 years. We went on our first date in one, drove to and from our wedding in the other...she was not happy. I laid down the law and within an hour she was a believer. She got her sobbing under control enough to say "I know it will be OK. We'll make NEW memories". Since then she has admitted to really liking it. She is the best!

This new Mach I is a keeper! I bought it from a dealer but was able to talk to the previous owner. It had been restored 15 years ago and has had minimal use since. A (previous) previous owner put a performance cam in it (sounds great with the large exhaust) but "wanted to keep it looking stock", so it still has the two barrel setup. I may go to a four barrel eventually. For now I am just driving and enjoying it. I have gone over the car pretty thoroughly and it appears to have been a very good restoration on a car that was solid to begin with. Most of the interior is original and everything else (brakes, exhaust, suspension, etc.) is new. It drives much, much better than the jalopy I had in high school.

I have already used the forum for information and look forward to being around in the future.   I will attach a picture of the car.

Mustang1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool and welcome from Iowa. I ran into the same issue when I sold my 62 Triumph. Wife and I went on our first date in it. She was pissed as well but we had just had our first kid and it as a 2 seater with no seatbelts. I used the fact the mustang had a back seat for car seats and seatbelts to smooth it over.

For the European members (and anyone else who might appreciate it), here is a picture of one of my other coupes, a 1974 Audi 100 Coupe' S. They were never sold here (in the U.S.) but five have been privately imported. Mine is the only RHD example in the states.

AudiCoupe3.jpg

Welcome to the forum from Western North Carolina.

I think we were just talking about your car the other day. If it has the ginger interior I know we did. It was on Ebay a couple years ago and if the same the VIN# is 100003. Could be the first 73 Mach 1 built and if I remember right the only one with this color and interior combo so it is a rare find for sure. I will go back to the thread and link it here.

Ray, one of the members has a story about this car and 9 others. It was probably used by Ford and kept at the factory for several months. Hope this is the car we can get more details. It is a nice looking car but the interior and exterior does have some clash to it, lol.

Hope this is the car.

It has to be the car, lol.

Go to this thread and the eBay ad that has link.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-what-would-be-an-early-build-date-for-new-model

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this is getting interesting! My wife says it is appropriate, as I seem to attract cars with stories. Yes, that is definitely my car. I would be VERY interested in more information, especially from documented sources.

I called the number in the eBay auction from two years ago (I am very surprised it didn't sell then for $23K) and it was the same previous owner I spoke to. He didn't have any additional information for me. The Marti report says it is one of 54 with this paint/trim code, but the discussion thread in the link said otherwise. I suspected it was very rare, but I must say I LOVE THE COMBO! Yes, I will acknowledge that black is the traditional "tough" muscle car interior color, but I think this ginger is classy, will be cooler in hot weather, and actually works with the hint of gold in the light pewter metallic exterior- maybe you need to see it in person to fully appreciate it.

So yes, please, if you have more info. or can point me in a direction, please do so!

Thanks in advance,

-Rob

I know many of you have collected large quantities of magazines, books, and other Mustang literature over the years. It would be a home run if you could find some reference to the concurrent '72/'73 assembly line story...a grand slam if there was a picture!

Now this is getting interesting! My wife says it is appropriate, as I seem to attract cars with stories. Yes, that is definitely my car. I would be VERY interested in more information, especially from documented sources.

I called the number in the eBay auction from two years ago (I am very surprised it didn't sell then for $23K) and it was the same previous owner I spoke to. He didn't have any additional information for me. The Marti report says it is one of 54 with this paint/trim code, but the discussion thread in the link said otherwise. I suspected it was very rare, but I must say I LOVE THE COMBO! Yes, I will acknowledge that black is the traditional "tough" muscle car interior color, but I think this ginger is classy, will be cooler in hot weather, and actually works with the hint of gold in the light pewter metallic exterior- maybe you need to see it in person to fully appreciate it.

So yes, please, if you have more info. or can point me in a direction, please do so!

Rob,

I had my eyes crossed when I looked in Marti's book Mustang by the Numbers. The AF interior with the 5A color exterior like your says in Marti's there were 104 so his book does not agree with his report. The book does not split out factback or Mach 1 and maybe he did when they did the report.

The one that is only one is the AG there was only one with that 5A paint and AG interior.

Oh I love the Ginger interior I have three cars with it, lol. Doesn't show dirt, lol.

Thanks in advance,

-Rob

Nice vehicle you have there and glad to hear you have an understanding wife.

My wife likes my car so far but yet to have it going and not game to reveal the cost

Be interesting to start a thread on how spouses have reacted to our vehicle purchases, have read some pretty amusing posts already

Rob,

I had my eyes crossed when I looked in Marti's book Mustang by the Numbers. The AF interior with the 5A color exterior like your says in Marti's there were 104 so his book does not agree with his report. The book does not split out factback or Mach 1 and maybe he did when they did the report.

The one that is only one is the AG there was only one with that 5A paint and AG interior.

Oh I love the Ginger interior I have three cars with it, lol. Doesn't show dirt, lol.

Thanks in advance,

-Rob
That makes more sense. Nonetheless, 54 with that combo. is still pretty low. I wonder how many are left?

Back