3/4 speed question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cribbs74

Reaction score
I just purchased a 73 parts car. It’s a Grande, sight unseen. Craigslist…seller claims it has a 302 and a 5 speed manual. I am assuming it’s not a 5 speed as he couldn’t even tell me if it had power brakes. My question is was a 4 speed an option for a 302 in 1973? Or is it most likely a 3 speed? 

I only paid $1000 for it so I took a chance. It should at least have $1000 in good parts on it. I pick the car up on Sat so my questions will be answered regardless, the suspense is killing me though. 

Ron

Hello Cribbs74

The 4sp was only available in the '71 429 and '71-73 351 4bl equipped Mustangs. A 3sp was the only available manual transmission choice for the 302. At $1000, that sounds like an excellent parts car purchase. The pedal hanger and associated hardware on a manual transmission car are worth that alone.
Please keep us posted on how everything goes and when you get your treasure find home!  :classic_smile:

I will and thanks for the info. My hope bar is set pretty low. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

I brought it home! Will post photos in the Grandé forum.

Thanks David,

It did turn out to be a 5 Speed and a power brake car. I think I did quite well for my investment of $1K for a clean titled ‘73 parts car. Not my first rodeo when buying cars sight unseen.  I haven’t been burned yet. Sometimes you have to take chances…

Ron

The pedal assembly for PB is different than manual. No 5 speeds. If a 5 speed would be a T-5 and those are made different for 4 cyl, 6 cyl, v-8 and World Class V-8.
Never buy sight unseen unless you have money to burn.
Every T5 for, Ford, was WC after '85. 4 banger and V8 trans use the exact same gears. The difference is in the input shaft and the countershaft. They change the ratios, but gears are the same. 

Back