3 point seat belts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look identical to the kits from Seatbelt Solutions. NOTE, in the pictures, these both show what is known as a long "C" bracket. This is what I was referring to before and bolts directly behind the retractor, so no other drilling required. I will say if anyone buys a set without the long "C" bracket, send 'em back to where you got them.

If you look at the Installation Instructions on the CJPP pages, you'll find that they are indeed Seatbelt Solutions kits. I do find it laughable that whomever made their installation instruction pamphlets used model kits as the example vehicles on the pamphlet covers: the red convertible is a die-cast model, and the blue one is a Remote Control car. But, the kit I got installed easily and works great!

I ordered those when @Mister 4x4 posted the link. They just came in today, and they are indeed seatbeltsolutions. Which is nice. The 3pt belts I put in my mom's chevelle last year were from the same company, and my C10 a few years back. They are all working fine.

The kit comes with hardware to install in convertibles. The instructions on the company's website show how they go in.
https://www.seatbeltsolutions.com/_files/ugd/60667a_6117d329c42642b5b64b6a9e852f4601.pdf
There's a set of studs that mount here through the wall back behind the rear seats that act as the mount point.
1649954847977.png

EDIT -
Welp, crap. Upon closer inspection, it seems like CJPony sent me out some returned items. The little lips that keep the plastic cover closed are all broken off. I sent photos in to CJ pony and they are sending out replacements and the dude said keep these. They dont need them back cause they can't resell them. Looks like I'll have a spare set. :p

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the strength of the new mounting points? I can't tell from the photos if this is a two part belt with lap belts and a separate shoulder belt that latches to the lap buckle or the lap and shoulder belt are one piece. Not sure if I am being clear. The company does say that they test them to federal standards, but the attachment to the floor pan appears weak to me. We are about to pull out carpet, so I will look for a Ford reinforced attachment point. It looks a lot easier than building a roll bar with belt attachment points and leaves the rear sear far more usable. Thanks for posting!

"If you buy new 3 point belts, make sure the lap section has the long "C" bracket that mounts behind the retractor with the same bolt. The install should be very easy. One more thing, on the tunnel belt part with the buckle, do not get the sleeve or at least make sure it is the correct length. On the set I got, this was totally incorrect and I ended up modifying the cover. I think my link shows those pictures, if not I can repost them."

Stanglover, I installed a set of retractable 3 points in my 72. I bought them from Scott Drake I seem to remember. However, ever since I installed them, they have been nothing but a pain in the neck, and I mean the side of my and my wife's neck. We have tried all the nifty add Ons to try and resolve the problem with no relief.

Can anyone help me with solving this problem by telling me want to buy and/or do?

P.S. Please add some of the photos of your install.

Thank you,

Stanglover, I installed a set of retractable 3 points in my 72. I bought them from Scott Drake I seem to remember. However, ever since I installed them, they have been nothing but a pain in the neck, and I mean the side of my and my wife's neck. We have tried all the nifty add Ons to try and resolve the problem with no relief.

Can anyone help me with solving this problem by telling me want to buy and/or do?

P.S. Please add some of the photos of your install.

Thank you,
I'm a short-ass, so I got my belts made with an 8" drop sash and that seems to do the trick. The only issue I have with my set is the drop sash is not covered by a flexible sleeve and therefore looks 'unfinished'. I think I've seen them with a sleeve from another manufacturer.
What does piss me off with this set is the fact that the retractor keeps locking while I try to pull the belt out to put it on. I need to be very smooth pulling it out.
My belts came indirectly from Seatbelt Solutions via Wesco. Since then, I found Seatbelt Planet seems to make a better product, but to be honest, I'm guessing the hardware is all the same.
As mentioned in my post, make sure you order with a LONG "C" Bracket, which fits behind the retractor. Pic 1712.
For the center belt, they are about 2" shorter than the original, which is also a pita. The sleeve they come with is totally useless as it curves the wrong way, i.e. not really made for our cars. I ordered alternative sleeves from Seatbelt Planet and "fixed" the problem, pic 1747 by trimming to a suitable length.
With ALL these 3 point belts, what really does annoy me is the fact that, unlike modern belts, the buckle tongue does not slide freely on the shoulder belt and therefore we end up with a hanging loop as seen in pic 1719.
Hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1719.JPG
    IMG_1719.JPG
    577.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1712.JPG
    IMG_1712.JPG
    717 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1719 (2)_LI.jpg
    IMG_1719 (2)_LI.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1723.JPG
    IMG_1723.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1747 (2).JPG
    IMG_1747 (2).JPG
    610.2 KB · Views: 1
Like Stanglover, I also have a 8" sash or extension from Seat Belt Planet. I got mine custom to a specific length by them. I suggest you call instead of ordering through their web page. That way you know exactly what you are getting. Sorry, I couldn't fin pictures but they are more comfortable that w/o the sash. I am 5'7" and it makes a big difference.

Stanglover, Thank you for the info and the pics. I will take photos and details of mine and upload here for your feedback. I am also going to look at Seat Belt Planet, but wait to purchase until my details are worked out. I too would rather have the retractable and not the free belt style. In addition, my belts have the same locking problem as you described. I may search my local pick-a-part salvage to see if an OEM belt out there would work. Or maybe someone here has already done this and knows the answer.

Thank you too Tony-Muscle for your feedback.

Stanglover, Thank you for the info and the pics. I will take photos and details of mine and upload here for your feedback. I am also going to look at Seat Belt Planet, but wait to purchase until my details are worked out. I too would rather have the retractable and not the free belt style. In addition, my belts have the same locking problem as you described. I may search my local pick-a-part salvage to see if an OEM belt out there would work. Or maybe someone here has already done this and knows the answer.

Thank you too Tony-Muscle for your feedback.
I think the Scott Drake belts (and others) are likely from one of the two manufactures we found. So just in name only.
I agree with Tony, call directly to Seatbelt Planet.
I was thinking the same thing, look for a newer style from a wreck and I may well do that next year. The problem with that option is finding something that will work with the mount points on our cars without having to do a major rework. That would be ok if the car was in restoration and mount point could be welded in place. It does bare looking at for sure.
Also, I think we could help ourselves by propositioning these manufacturers en mass to change the buckle tongue to a free running type.

I started the process for getting new 3 point seatbelts in the front and rear on my avocado interior car.

I thought I was being smart and efficient, but it turns out I wasn't. The plan was to order up the rear 3 point seat belts from seatbelt planet, then call them up and have them make up a set with the extensions to drop the shoulder portion on the front. I started out doing exactly that.

When I called them up, thats when I learned a couple things. They custom make the front belts with the shoulder drop. The belt material they use is different than the company in FLA who makes those rear belts you can order up. If you do what I was planning, your front and rear seatbelts will be the same color, but the belt material will look different.

Next thing I learned is seatbelt planet has all the parts to make the rear belts like what are sold on their website. If you special order it from them, and have them build the same rear seatbelts, except with the belt material they normally use, the cost is cheaper than ordering the set from the website that the other company makes. I'm having them make up all 4 belts for me so they will all match each other.

Then the next thing was the color. They have a handful of green colors. They're sending out samples so I can see if any of them match/look ok with the avocado ford color. If you do not like any of the a-la-carte colors, they do offer (for a fee) the service to match fabric and paint samples. You can get any color you want, not just what's on the website. I didn't even ask about price yet. I'll probably go with one of their existing choices.

Back