&3 Top latch removal and repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73CobraJet

Reaction score
Hi Does any one know if the top has to peeled back or removed to replace the top latch? My latch on the passenger side is broken and needs repaired. Thanks

I did this repair this fall and have some photos.  My plan was to write up a tutorial and post but did I do that nooooo.....I didn't.  Just a quick summary:  

I sent you a PM with my number to explain what I did.   I didn't need to peel back  much of roof maybe 8 or 10 inches.  

1. Remove the  rubber strip near the handle.  Think it has 3 or 4 screws and removed staples.

2. Pulled staples along the front of handle. Basically front section of roof.  Think I needed to lift  roof fabric to expose staples.    

3. I undid the wire  cable and keeper holding  roof tight just above the passenger door glass.   It fits into a little slot on the cert frame  This relieves the tension of the canvas. 

4. Also need to removed the rear holding  metal strip at the  back of the roof just below the rear glass.  Metal band goes along the entire back of the car.  About 10 screws.  Once I removed that I undid about 8 inches of those staples along the passenger side.  This loosen the roof more. 

5.  Needed to fight with the bolt holding the handle that looks like big torx but really isn't exactly.   Think it was called posi-drive (someone on this site provided info)  but ended  up using a #3 or #4 phillips drive on a racket. 

6. You'll need to remove rivets holding the handle and replace with a new rivets (I used something called a sex bolt or barrel bolt.)

7. Bought handle from and sprayed before installing. Using some aluminum etch spray before painting black.  Again guidance  from  this forum. 

8. A bought some cork strips to fill back with old rotten material  that  the stables  get  driven into.   I borrowed an electric staple gun to replace.  Mine were rusted and used  very pointy needle nose pliers  to get  stables. 

9. I used a glue to hold down new cork strips and roof fabric and then stabled. 

I'm  no pro here but it worked and not having a roof handle sucks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back