$300+ pc of plastic arrived. Finishing touches on a 73 to 71 bumper conversion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul M

Reaction score
My Car
73 loaded Q code car w/a 351 4v C6 it came with 2 cars in parts.
This was a 73 car; I just couldn't put that 77lb bumper w/ the 23lb a pc battleship sized brackets on this car. The extra 90lb ballast that far in front of the wheels is a lot of centrifugal force when cornering. The 73 grill didn't look like it would fit the bumper on the bottom, so I ordered the 71-72. I had to take that original bumper and put the bracket in a vice wrap cardboard around it, use a 4 ft pipe wrench and tweak it to fit both sides the same. Ye it's painted 'cause it's also pounded out in one place and bondo'd ... lmao. at least it matches my old slot wheels. I didn't want chrome on this and was afraid to order after market. I've never been happy with the fit. The 73 grill bracket works, however the latch assy on the 73 is much longer than the 71-72. I got a used one off Ebay pretty cheap. I had to remove the headlight buckets to get the broken flimsy grill bolts out. W/ heat n vise grips. They are too proud of the originals, so I bought similar bolts at a local hardware shop w the same dimensions. It was nice to have the buckets and various bolts loose to fit the grill in nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_4401.JPG
    IMG_4401.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4432.JPG
    IMG_4432.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4492.JPG
    IMG_4492.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4411.JPG
    IMG_4411.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4436.JPG
    IMG_4436.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4496.JPG
    IMG_4496.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Nice job!
Ha everything on this thing was a job. Add numerous 4 letter words and a few more dollars. I'm doing the worst part now, no heater blower motor so no defrost. Needless to say, I'm enduring the task of removing the heater box and blower motor.

Why not just go buy a '71 or '72 instead of doing this conversion??
I actually did, kinda of. I bought 2 parts cars 1 71 and one 73 for 3500.00 The 71 was wrecked worse than the 73, however, the extra parts paid for the car in full. My initial investment ended up 0. Actually the 73 is a Q code Mach 1 with a 351 4v (4 bolt main) c6, competition suspension, stock tach, fold down seat assy, power steering, power disc brakes. ram air. Loaded with all the resell able goodies.

Attachments

• IMG_6059.JPG
    IMG_6059.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 1
Here is my '73 with1 71/72 chrome bumper. I take no credit though as the shop that did most of the work did it. They didn't even blink an eye with my request. I did make one mistake though when I told them what decal to use. I should have gone with the hockey sticks.

Attachments

• Mustangs front.jpg
    Mustangs front.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 3
Here is my '73 with1 71/72 chrome bumper. I take no credit though as the shop that did most of the work did it. They didn't even blink an eye with my request. I did make one mistake though when I told them what decal to use. I should have gone with the hockey sticks.
I like the 73 stripes better. They look better on your convertible as well.

Nice job. Look's like OEM to me!
The photo doesn't do it justice. I need a side shot to show the spaces. They are just over 3/8" all the way around. On both sides, that's why I had to tweak the bumper. Some people pull the bumper in too far, and up too high, leaving a larger space on the bottom. Anyway, it's mostly oem being it's the 71 fender notches, grill and bumper. I did have a fitment problem on one of my 71 fenders and chose to modify the notch on one side of a 73 fender, since it lined up perfectly to my hood. Both cars had front end damage, I ended up having to use the hood and rt fender from the same car to get the lines to match.

This was a 73 car; I just couldn't put that 77lb bumper w/ the 23lb a pc battleship sized brackets on this car. The extra 90lb ballast that far in front of the wheels is a lot of centrifugal force when cornering. The 73 grill didn't look like it would fit the bumper on the bottom, so I ordered the 71-72. I had to take that original bumper and put the bracket in a vice wrap cardboard around it, use a 4 ft pipe wrench and tweak it to fit both sides the same. Ye it's painted 'cause it's also pounded out in one place and bondo'd ... lmao. at least it matches my old slot wheels. I didn't want chrome on this and was afraid to order after market. I've never been happy with the fit. The 73 grill bracket works, however the latch assy on the 73 is much longer than the 71-72. I got a used one off Ebay pretty cheap. I had to remove the headlight buckets to get the broken flimsy grill bolts out. W/ heat n vise grips. They are too proud of the originals, so I bought similar bolts at a local hardware shop w the same dimensions. It was nice to have the buckets and various bolts loose to fit the grill in nicely.
Where did you get this

Where did you get this
You caught me while I was online .. E bay. I think it was 299. then add tax free shipping 1971 1972 Mustang Mach 1 GRILLE With Trim Molding Dynacorn NEW - M3629J I have no complaints.

Back