302 engine identification & specs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
work in progress
302 automatic
[url=https://ibb.co/cwk3bw3][img]https://i.ibb.co/DYzWGYW/IMG-3420.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://statewideinventory.org/used-cars]statewide auto sun valley[/url]
I'm having some trouble determining what engine I have and what tune specs.

The engine is stamped E8SE which I believe is 1988 thunderbird engine yes/no?

What are the best spark plugs?  plug gap?  points gap?  timining?

Right now it has Motorcraft AWSF 44c plugs (gapped at approx .050)

thanks

Bob

thanks

Bob
That is correct the 5.0 block is for an 88 T Bird. What heads do you have, stock, Gt40, etc. The stock 87-88 T Bird heads were not cast just for a Thunderbird, If stock I think they are E6AE head or E7TE. Are you running the stock EFI on it?

thanks

Bob
That is correct the 5.0 block is for an 88 T Bird. What heads do you have, stock, Gt40, etc. The stock 87-88 T Bird heads were not cast just for a Thunderbird, If stock I think they are E6AE head or E7TE. Are you running the stock EFI on it?
I'm not sure what heads I have (I know very little about the history of this car, engine is in a 73 mustang).  Is it easy to identify the heads?  Has older distributor with points/condensor.  It was running but was pumping oil out when running.  I found that the guy had 2 pcv valves (one on each valve cover, passenger side ran to air cleaner, driver side had to front of carb).  I pulled plugs to check and clean, I set gap at .054 and put plugs back in, car wouldn't start.  I also found that the coil had positive post going to distributor, I believe positive should go to starter solenoid.  Right now it will start for just for a second and die. Pretty sure it's getting gas, when I pump pedal gas shoots into carb.

Thanks for the help

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Plug gap is determined by the ignition system. A points system is around .030". Using the newer style heads, I'd simply spec out a set of plugs for an '88 5.0 Mustang and adjust the gap to suit the ignition.

Link to '73 wiring diagrams

https://www.7173mustangs.com/images/1973_full.pdf

Also, look on the top of the block behind the intake. There should be a partial VIN stamped into a flat pad. That'll help ID what year the engine is and what it was originally installed in.

90616d1266250333-engine-block-numbers-81654d1256069945-will-1986-5-0-h-o-cam-work-1985-302-block-302blockvin.jpg

Plug gap is determined by the ignition system. A points system is around .030". Using the newer style heads, I'd simply spec out a set of plugs for an '88 5.0 Mustang and adjust the gap to suit the ignition.

Link to '73 wiring diagrams

https://www.7173mustangs.com/images/1973_full.pdf

Also, look on the top of the block behind the intake. There should be a partial VIN stamped into a flat pad. That'll help ID what year the engine is and what it was originally installed in.

90616d1266250333-engine-block-numbers-81654d1256069945-will-1986-5-0-h-o-cam-work-1985-302-block-302blockvin.jpg
Just making sure I understand, you're saying I should set the plug gap to .030 (because I have points) and that I should use what ever plugs are spec'd for the 88 thunderbird 302 enginge (I am pretty certain it is a 88 engine).  The plugs that are in it (and it was running) look good and they were set at .050.  I re-set them to .054 as recommended for 88 engine. 

From what I can tell points should be set at .016 to .018.  Does this sound right?

Timing set at 10 to 12 BTC???

thanks

Bob

Just making sure I understand, you're saying I should set the plug gap to .030 (because I have points) and that I should use what ever plugs are spec'd for the 88 thunderbird 302 enginge (I am pretty certain it is a 88 engine).  The plugs that are in it (and it was running) look good and they were set at .050.  I re-set them to .054 as recommended for 88 engine. From what I can tell points should be set at .016 to .018.  Does this sound right?Timing set at 10 to 12 BTC???

thanks

Bob
Yes, it may be an '88 engine, but your ignition is vintage '73 (or so). The 88 had the TFI electronic igntion and some sort of fuel injection. 

Ignition tune up specs are in your 73 shop manual.

Back