302 timing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTGSTANG

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible red/white interior. Engine: 302 V8 w/air, upgraded Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Petronix, Holly 600cfm carb, power windows.
So I just started to check the timing and it's pointing at the 20 btc now. Would this make me run hot and cause shifting problems? Which way do I turn it to bring it down to 6 btc like factory settings? I have an edelbrock performer intake and Holley 600 carb and that's it. Any advice is appreciated!

Also, what size is the distributor hold down bolt? I'm going to get the distributor wrench and don't want to get wrong size.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just started to check the timing and it's pointing at the 20 btc now. Would this make me run hot and cause shifting problems? Which way do I turn it to bring it down to 6 btc like factory settings? I have an edelbrock performer intake and Holley 600 carb and that's it. Any advice is appreciated!

Also, what size is the distributor hold down bolt? I'm going to get the distributor wrench and don't want to get wrong size.
Are you setting the timing with vacuum disconnected and plugged and engine RPM low enough to not have the mechanical advance engaged? What is total mechanical only advance? What shifting problems are happening? Viewing the distributor from the front of the car and above, clockwise is advance, CCW is retard. The bolt should be 1/2 inch. Chuck

Just when I get everything hooked up ready to go the car turned over fine a couple times without firing then it won't even turn over. Brand new battery and negative terminal has been off the post the entire time. It makes a whine sound when ignition is engaged. And the positive battery cable is really hot from the regulator to the battery post. I have no idea why it's real hot and didn't even fire.

Tried it again, smells like burning and a little smoke coming from voltage regulator. Disconnected everything pronto. I cleaned the contacts and wires that go to the regulator a couple weeks ago. I took pictures of where everything goes but did I connect them wrong? I don't need an electrical fire!

depends on the ignition system you have, how good the condition of the engine is, how much vacuum the engine is pulling on the advance, etc. I have the best luck setting non factory new engines by leaving the advance hooked up, bring engine rpm to 3000, and set it by ear to TDC. that is the best that your engine will run and still start when warmed up. As changing intakes, carbs, dizzy, and millage of the engine will change the timing. If your having transmission shifting problem it may be low vacuum, I would check that...should be steady around 17 pounds depending on elevation. could be vacuum is clogged at carb base or intake.

Back