351 4v ( 408 and TKX )

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good and getting closer!

I'm curious to see what you decide for the shifter handle. I love the shape of the 70-71 Hurst stick and the TKX shifter stub seems to end up pretty close to where the Hurst socket would be...

Looking good and getting closer!

I'm curious to see what you decide for the shifter handle. I love the shape of the 70-71 Hurst stick and the TKX shifter stub seems to end up pretty close to where the Hurst socket would be...
Hi Matt
Just so happened I was working on this while paint was drying. I as well love the look of the 70-71 Hurst T handle. My brother got his Boss 302 when I was 12 years old and I was hooked. The Mopar guys can have that pistol grip.
First the lever that came with the TKX is a little tall for my liking. So I was all abought using the stock lever. After installing it I found the forwarded gears 1-3-5 are just a little out of reach do to the TKX shift stub being to the front of the shifter hole. I ended up cutting abought a inch and a eighth off bottom the shifter that came with TKX. Sitting in the seat it feels right going threw the gears with TKX shifter but still think it looks tall. Maybe when the shift boot is installed it will look better.

Attachments

• IMG_3004.JPG
    IMG_3004.JPG
    439.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3001.JPG
    IMG_3001.JPG
    416.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3002.JPG
    IMG_3002.JPG
    485.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3003.JPG
    IMG_3003.JPG
    411.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    465.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2999.JPG
    IMG_2999.JPG
    452.4 KB · Views: 7
Moving along. Doing a lot of small things that are not worth posting.

Did some clean up on the radiator and gave it a cote of paint.

Took note on Ron's post of the Rickster and cut down the A/C idler pulley bracket. Sprayed it with the twist lock brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_2996.JPG
    IMG_2996.JPG
    522.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2994.JPG
    IMG_2994.JPG
    412.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2992.JPG
    IMG_2992.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2991.JPG
    IMG_2991.JPG
    464.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2988.JPG
    IMG_2988.JPG
    674 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2986.JPG
    IMG_2986.JPG
    342.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2985.JPG
    IMG_2985.JPG
    439.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2984.JPG
    IMG_2984.JPG
    657.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2989.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPG
    393.4 KB · Views: 0
This weekend was a good weekend for progress. Installed heater houses , P/S houses , upper and lower rad houses , A/C bracket with idler pulley , belts clutch fan , radiator , shroud , battery and cables.

Up next the A/C and wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_3009.JPG
    IMG_3009.JPG
    572 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3011.JPG
    IMG_3011.JPG
    626.6 KB · Views: 0
Going through the years YEARS with this project there has been lot of 1step forward and 2 steps back.

I've been working getting the wiring done to fire it up. I think I'm there so I hook up the battery to see if it crank over. Well it does! The problem is it cranks over when the key gets to the run position. Ok the solenoid is bad replace it. Nope not the solenoid. Check the adjustment of the ignition switch. Nope still does it after adjustment. It must be the original ignition, has to be! Off to NAPA I go. Feeling confident this going to be it. Nope new ignition it still cranks over in the run position. With all this screwing around I notice that power steering pump dripping on the floor!

Time to walk away and go on vacation!

Attachments

• IMG_3012.JPG
    IMG_3012.JPG
    472.8 KB · Views: 0
Maybe the coil wire from the switch is bad or not hooked up. The start position provides full 12 volts to power to the coil for starting, after that, the power source is switched to the resistor wire from the ignition switch. As a test, put a jumper from the battery to the power side (+) of the coil, and then try to start the car, I bet it will run.

Maybe the coil wire from the switch is bad or not hooked up. The start position provides full 12 volts to power to the coil for starting, after that, the power source is switched to the resistor wire from the ignition switch. As a test, put a jumper from the battery to the power side (+) of the coil, and then try to start the car, I bet it will run.
Thanks 71Projectjunk, What I'm up against is the engine cranking over when the key is in the run position. I was going to add fuel but I'm glad I didn't. Thought I would see if it cranked over first.

Frustrations are at a all time high!! Having thoughts of just parting the damn out and buying a 17-18 GT350.

Guys I cant tell you how frustrated I am with my project. Been fighting electrical gremlins. Redoing things that I thought were good to go. I finally got it to turn over by the key buy running a new wire form the neutral safety switch to the solenoid. Had days and days trying to find the short in the engine bay harness. Thought I would move on to the AC for a break form the wiring B/S to find the compressor does not line up. Had to trim and repaint the bracket. Applied 1st coat paint just for it to run right off the bracket. Went to do 2nd coat just to find a mess! Next day come out to the garage continue the battle just to find power steering fluid all over the floor. When I first got the car back in 95 I resealed the pump so I just detailed it up and threw it on. Well apparently when I pressure washed the engine I got water in it then just threw it in the cabinet for years.

I will stop whining but this is not even the half of it . The only victory lately is having the drive shaft maid and installed. Sorry for the rant.

Attachments

• IMG_3026.JPG
    IMG_3026.JPG
    473.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3043.JPG
    IMG_3043.JPG
    377.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3041.JPG
    IMG_3041.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3035.JPG
    IMG_3035.JPG
    483.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3034.JPG
    IMG_3034.JPG
    583.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3031.JPG
    IMG_3031.JPG
    494.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3017.JPG
    IMG_3017.JPG
    301.8 KB · Views: 0
Frustrations are at a all time high!! Having thoughts of just parting the damn out and buying a 17-18 GT350.

Guys I cant tell you how frustrated I am with my project. Been fighting electrical gremlins. Redoing things that I thought were good to go. I finally got it to turn over by the key buy running a new wire form the neutral safety switch to the solenoid. Had days and days trying to find the short in the engine bay harness. Thought I would move on to the AC for a break form the wiring B/S to find the compressor does not line up. Had to trim and repaint the bracket. Applied 1st coat paint just for it to run right off the bracket. Went to do 2nd coat just to find a mess! Next day come out to the garage continue the battle just to find power steering fluid all over the floor. When I first got the car back in 95 I resealed the pump so I just detailed it up and threw it on. Well apparently when I pressure washed the engine I got water in it then just threw it in the cabinet for years.

I will stop whining but this is not even the half of it . The only victory lately is having the drive shaft maid and installed. Sorry for the rant.
Understandable, Mike. It seems every time I work on my 72 I discover something else that needs to be addressed. Hang in there. Step away from it for a bit and come back later with a fresh outlook and ready for the challenge.

Follow Sheriff41 advice and take a break. This frustration roller coaster is a common theme for us working on these cars. I can't tell you how many times I have thought I have a project almost wrapped up until I find out I missed something and need to redo it all over again. Sad to say, but this kind of situation has happened more than once. Now I have trained myself to walk away and take a breather, or even go work in another project. It happens that I go to rest and overnight I can come up with a different alternative.

Keep fighting the good fight. I have not been around since your build began back in 2011, but holy smokes after 695 replies and 102K views you and this group are definitely invested!! That's gotta be some kind of 7173Mustangs record?

The project is never really "finished", right? Whether you drive it, store it or trailer it... the clock is always ticking and pushing you to the next thing to fix. Good luck with the rest of the build. Even though I am late to the game, after going thru this build thread from the beginning, I'm invested now too! :cool:

First I want to say thanks for the encouraging words.

The battle continues. I installed the new power steering pump and AC bracket on Friday with no issues. Sunday I roll it out of the garage so I can wax the wife's 13 convertible. About halfway through applying wax I notice a puddle of power steering on my driveway. Oh what the .... really! I'm beginning to think this thing hates me.

The wife's 13 looks good!

Attachments

• IMG_3090.JPG
    IMG_3090.JPG
    528.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3089.JPG
    IMG_3089.JPG
    552.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3074.JPG
    IMG_3074.JPG
    498.4 KB · Views: 0
First I want to say thanks for the encouraging words.

The battle continues. I installed the new power steering pump and AC bracket on Friday with no issues. Sunday I roll it out of the garage so I can wax the wife's 13 convertible. About halfway through applying wax I notice a puddle of power steering on my driveway. Oh what the .... really! I'm beginning to think this thing hates me.

The wife's 13 looks good!
Not meaning is your case, but those cans tend to leak if the can is not round where the o-ring between the inner guts and can seats. Given that the can is of thin metal it is not uncommon for them to be out-of-round. I had this happened in a newly rebuilt pump. I couldn't find the can sold separately so I ended up purchasing the cheapest reman one to just use the can. Long time ago I switched to a Saginaw "canned-ham" style pump in lieu of the ford can.

I HATE spiders. Douse everything with insecticide before I tear into something like that!
You would have like my project than. There was spider poop/skin and crude and whatever else spiders shed or leave behind plied an inch deep everywhere. I have never seen anything like it 7C09A65A-3749-4ADE-BB5F-81765F059830.jpeg

Back