351 Boss Dip Stick/Oil Pickup- Can Someone Measure Theirs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
I am trying to put together the FULL story of the 351 BOSS 6 quart oil pan. Is this as simple as reticking the dip stick and adding an extra quart of oil? If so, why not run 6 quarts if we can?

I have identified 3 issues in this regard(these are meant to be my understanding, not fact):

1. The oil pan is the same as a 351 2v. Not sure if that means it is the same as a 4v or CJ, but I will.

Does someone have a stock 2V pan laying around? Can you measure how deep it is?

Does someone have a stock 4V pan laying around? Can you measure how deep it is?

2. The dip stick was simply "recalibrated" by SHORTENING the FULL and FILL levels on a standard dipstick.

Does anyone have a: FORD D1ZX-67500-AA

where they can measure:

Dipstick Length:

Length from bottom to FILL tick:

Length from bottom to FULL tick:

3. This is the best picture I can find of an oil pickup that is reputed to be a Boss 351:

mailedD15.jpg

Looks square. What is the measurement from the bottom mounting hole of the pickup to the bottom of the pickup?

As always, insight is greatly appreciated.

The pic of the oil pickup didn't come through, but I doubt I could help anyway since my 2V is reassembled and impatiently waiting for the new Pertronix so that I can try to break something in the drivetrain.

Somebody should come along that can be of assistance, I would hope.

Doc

According to the Hollander Interchange Manual, the 351C 2V and 400 engines utilize Part Number D0AZZ6675A while the 4V utilizes D1ZZ6675C from the Factory.

The Manual also calls for ALL 1971 - 1973 351C Mustangs utilization of the same oil pan. The "Mustang Houses" apparently shares this view as according to my references, they use the same "replacement" part for all 351C engines' oil pans.

It would appear that any "differences" may be in the marking of the dipstick.

Good thread!

BT

Dipstick Boss 351 originally would have been painted black instead of blue.

D1ZZ-6750-B PN, D1ZX-6750-BA Stamped

72 CJ dipstick stamped D0AE-6750-A. Tip to topp of handle length is 25.00 inches.

72 CJ oil pan stamped D0AE-6675-A. Pan has one baffle at the pickup and one baffle/scraper at the rear of the pan.

Just the dipstick is different. Many years ago I put 6 qts of water in a 351C oil pan and measured the depth. Then measured a rod throws depth out of the block and there is enough room for 6 qts.

Just the dipstick is different. Many years ago I put 6 qts of water in a 351C oil pan and measured the depth. Then measured a rod throws depth out of the block and there is enough room for 6 qts.
Thank you my friend...I will be doing the same checking out my pan as well.

...trust but verify.

Was yours a stock oil pan? Year? I will be measuring a MILODEN...can't be too careful. We can add these to the wiki.

If your car is a leaker, that extra quart can make a lot of difference, or at least buy you some time. Although, I would probably be hesitant at adding that extra quart unless I checked it out myself.

I would want a windage tray if you were going to run 6 qts in a stock pan.
What are the disadvantages of adding a windage tray?

As it turn out, here are a couple of photos of a 351 oil pan purpoted to be(which means they probably are not) from a 4V CJ H0. Based on a previous post, it should not matter as all 351's received the same oil pan regardless of induction/output.

Does the shield around the oil pickup count as a windage tray?

Anyone know how far up the oil goes in one of these?

$99!!!! Are you kidding me?

$(KGrHqQOKigE12ZK,mdLBNis(gi)uw~~_12.JPG

$(KGrHqUOKpgE1q86wdvnBNis(nNjVw~~_12.JPG

For what it is worth, I called MILODON to inquire of their 351C factory replacement oil pan:

Wolverine: I have a question regarding the Milodon 30735 Oil Pan.

Alex: Yes sir.

Wolverine: I would like to know if this oil pan has a shield around the oil pickup as the factory oil pan does.

Alex: Are you talking about the shield that prevents oil for moving from the front to the back of the pan?

Wolverine: Yes.

Alex: Yes sir it does.

Compare it with the 351 oil pan posted previously. You be the judge. Is Alex truthful?

$(KGrHqFHJDEE9(0vl8G1BPi2bCtwTg~~60_58.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This pan was removed by me from the numbers matching engine from my 72 CJ. Please ignore the "bullet holes" in the sump baffle that were used to almost straighten out the bottom of the oil pan. Don't know if that helps or not. Chuck

photo-4.JPG

photo-3.JPG

This pan was removed by me from the numbers matching engine from my 72 CJ. Please ignore the "bullet holes" in the sump baffle that were used to almost straighten out the bottom of the oil pan. Don't know if that helps or not. Chuck
If you weren't a 9" rear end, I would kiss you my friend.

If you weren't a 9" rear end, I would kiss you my friend.
At times I've even been a 9 and 3/8 rear end. You're welcome. Chuck

According to the Hollander Interchange Manual, the 351C 2V and 400 engines utilize Part Number D0AZZ6675A while the 4V utilizes D1ZZ6675C from the Factory.

The Manual also calls for ALL 1971 - 1973 351C Mustangs utilization of the same oil pan. The "Mustang Houses" apparently shares this view as according to my references, they use the same "replacement" part for all 351C engines' oil pans.

It would appear that any "differences" may be in the marking of the dipstick.

Good thread!

BT
I have a Ford OHO Manual fr 1972. In the 335 engine section it's fully explained why & how the BOSS 351 was spec'd for 6 US qts engine oil. The BOSS pan had a "welded windage scraper" added to the regular 4V pan in addition to the (also welded) pickup baffle. This enabled Ford to recalibrate the original dipstick for 6 qts. It's misleading for suppliers (and Hollander) to spec the same pan for all 351C engines. The only part same for all is the pan stamping itself. The welded pickup baffle & windage tray make a significant difference in those engines that originally had such. FYI, D1ZZ-6675-C is the BOSS pan. Hope this helps.

BT

...The BOSS pan had a "welded windage scraper" added to the regular 4V pan in addition to the (also welded) pickup baffle. This enabled Ford to recalibrate the original dipstick for 6 qts...

The moral of the story appears to be...make sure you using the appropriate dipstick for the oil pan your using. I wonder how many of our cars have had the oil pans switched from either 5 to 6qt, or 6qt- 5, while leaving the old dipstick? I'm betting a lot of you are going to run out and check your dipsticks.;)

Good thread!

Jim

I have the same pan I recently picked up for $35, had it powdercoated and put it on my engine. The factory pan without baffle had the drain hole all messed up by who knows and had liberal amounts of jb weld around it and still leaked.

I've seen the pans go from $25 - $100. Usually check 351cleveland.net classifieds. Good place to find them.

I have the same pan I recently picked up for $35, had it powdercoated and put it on my engine. The factory pan without baffle had the drain hole all messed up by who knows and had liberal amounts of jb weld around it and still leaked.

I've seen the pans go from $25 - $100. Usually check 351cleveland.net classifieds. Good place to find them.
Thanks for the heads up on that website. I never knew it existed.

Mine has the black handle and has the number D1ZX-6750-BA on it. I think it is calibrated for 6 quarts the same as the Boss 351.

I am not, I repeat NOT gonna measure my dipstick and share that info with you.

Let´s say, no female has ever had any reason to complain.

:p:cool:

Latest posts

Back