351 Cleveland running hot at idle.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What we do to fix this issue is to install a short section of pipe that fits into the brass restrictor in the block.

Thin wall .75 exterior diameter aluminum tube is a nice interference fit and because it bottoms out below the brass restrictions it can't fall out.

It sticks up .25 inch or so above the restrictor.

This allows a widly available Windsor type thermostat to work while still allowing the coolant to bypass the radiator when cold.

Basically makes the hole in the restrictor smaller and a little bit closer to the thermostat.

When the TStat opens it goes into this slightly smaller hole and everthing runs cool.

We can idle all day with a built cleveland and a stock radiator and never even get half way on the stock guage.

I can send picks as we are building a cleveland this weekend.

This modified plate eliminates the cold start bypass function.

Removing the brass part can also be a pain in the butt.

This causes a 351c to take forever to warm up and idle nicely.

Pair this with blocking the heat passage under the intake and you end up with a very poorly manered 351c when cold.

The .75 ext diam pipe is available at lowes or homedepot for just a few bucks.

hemikiller... that was FANTASTIC info. had NO idea it worked like that. thank you is not good enough... a great thank you to you.
I have seen this explained a few times in the past, likely from HemiKiller, actually. I thought this is a good time to grab some screen shots and text on the subject, as it makes a lot of sense to follow the recommended steps. I never know when such tid bits like this will be useful to myself and others.

HemiKiller, than you for sharing that info (again)..

Does this one look like I got bit by the wrong thermostat? Rockauto listed it as one for a 351C. It doesn't look like it has the little doodad on the bottom.

1690388327118.png

1690388353577.png

I have been using the Stant t stat bought from RockAuto # 13468 or 13469. I'm not sure from my invoice which is the hotter temp, but I know I have at least a 190 in there without any overheating issues, even before I installed an 18" clutch fan. These do have a "hat" on them to seal off on the restrictor plate. They work just as well IMO.

Back