351C 2v and 4v air cleaner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rottenralph

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Bright Lime green Mach 1. Has 351c 4v heads with Holley manifold and summit 650 cfm carb, power steering, Power disc front brakes, FMX 3 speed auto tranny, and A/C. The car sits on 17 inch Eleanor wheels with 225/45 front and 245/45 rear. Car is nice bust needs some love under the hood.
I have a wide open air cleaner but I feel like I am smelling too much fuel in the drivers compartment when I drive. So, I thought I would get a traditional a/c and when looking I found 2v a/c's are far better priced than 4v. Are they any different. Is the hole that mounts to the carb a different size for a 2v and 4v. Need some thoughts on this so I get the right thing. I plan to change cowl seal but I simply smell too much engine compartment when driving and I need to fix it.

Anyone have one they are selling?

I am hoping someone can tell me so I can buy the reasonably priced one now. Help.

Nobody out of 36 people know the answer to this question? Just need to know if 2V has same footprint as 4V air cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator:
The carb hole is the same size, but I have run both open element and stock air cleaners without excessive fuel smell. I would take a closer look at your fuel system. Specifically the top of the tank, filler tube, and connections.

Thanks Russ, I will check out the gaskets on the fuel tank. I will buy the air cleaner and try it out anyway. I bought one on ebay 50 bucks shipped and it has the snorkel. Glad you responded so I could get a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
also, another common source of the smell is the fuel vent line that is on the firewall. Few people retain the charcoal canister and the line will allow some vapor smell. If your cowl is in good shape, a proper cowl to hood seal will make a lot of difference.

The Classic Auto Air units actually eliminate drawing air from the cowl, so when I made that change, I no longer got the fuel smell in my car.

if you ditch the charcoal canister then you need to change from the 71-73 closed emissions gas cap to a 69-70 open vented gas cap. of course then you lose the benefit of the vapor return system.

The V4 air cleaner has a AUX intake port on the drivers side that opens to allow more air in when the Vacuum drops(I.E you floor it)

otherwise they are like the V2, they have the warm air intake flapper on the snorkel and the PCV breather port on the passenger side.

you can leave the aux port disconnected and it will remain open all the time. or you can use it and have it choke the engine down for idle and light duty operation which can keep the engine richer at idle, less air more fuel mix.

depending on carb, you may want to locate the Fuel bowl vents some carbs have them lower on the base and they stick out from the air cleaner and you get a fuel smell, those are suppose to vent into the charcoal canister. the holleys have the vents above the ventricles so there isn't a way to vent them back to the emissions system, but they sit behind the air cleaner element inside the air cleaner itself so it is hard for the fuel vapor to come out that way.

Back