351C 4V Oil cooler Y/N comments

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charrlie

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Fastback 351C, 4speed
Have a 351C 4V  with 4 speed I am considering using an engine oil cooler. What are your thoughts?

Millions of Cleveland’s built and ran fine without. Add extra quart to stock pan, bigger pan, and or bigger oil filter. Or even a dual filter. I run an oil cooler on my racecar. 

Nothing wrong with running an oil cooler-especially in hotter climates, just use high quality parts in running your lines and making your brackets. An oil temperature gauge is also a good idea, as you can overcool oil.  If it doesn't exceed 212 degrees, moisture from the air and combustion byproducts won't evaporate out of the oil.

The cooler can use a thermostat style restrictor and even a fan depending upon location.  I like this set up:  https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/fuel-cooling/tech-installing-cantons-engine-oil-cooler-and-why-you-need-one/

Nothing wrong with running an oil cooler-especially in hotter climates, just use high quality parts in running your lines and making your brackets. An oil temperature gauge is also a good idea, as you can overcool oil.  If it doesn't exceed 212 degrees, moisture from the air and combustion byproducts won't evaporate out of the oil.

The cooler can use a thermostat style restrictor and even a fan depending upon location.  I like this set up:  https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/fuel-cooling/tech-installing-cantons-engine-oil-cooler-and-why-you-need-one/
I have an oil temperature sender installed in the block, just after the filter and it rarely reaches 200. Granted that this is after the pump and filter, and may be affected by the temperature of the block, but that's exactly where the oil cooler would be installed. I have no doubt that the oil reaches localized temperatures above 212, specially at the journals. However, I don't have proof that the bulk temperature is over 200. That said, if you install an oil cooler with thermostat it may hardly open unless the engine is raced for a longer period. You don't want your oil too cool because that will also reduce engine performance so if you really want to install one I would suggest the thermostat option.

Edit: it is possible that if your are stuck in traffic in a very hot climate, that the temperature will start a steady climb. I have not faced this situation yet. At an ambient temperature of 90s in idle is the only time I have reached 200.

Last edited by a moderator:
 I appreciate your thoughts and comments. That's what I  was looking for.  There were several applications that Ford used an external oil cooler.  I have a PI 460 that came with one and if I'm not mistaken the 429 SCJ. came with an oil cooler.

Just building a new engine and don't know what it is  going to do and thought I would throw out the oil cooler as I hadn't seen is discussed in any of the forums.  thank you so much for all the input. 

Ford did not equip 71 429 SCJ's with oil coolers in Mustangs, only Torinos. I'm not sure anybody knows why.

My $0.02 is I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a gauge and know its a problem. Unless you doing something out of the ordinary (under-filling the pan, road racing etc.) the oil will never get hot enough to cause problems. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back