351C Distributor question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 351c FMX trans and 9 inch rear end
I am building a 351C 4V for my 71 Mach 1. The engine is still at the machine shop and I am looking to buy a distributor. I plan to add the Ram Air air cleaner and want to make sure I find a reliable electronic distributor option that will fit under the Ram Air and also will look somewhat stock. In my past restos, (which have been Camaros and Chevelles, new to Mustangs) I just installed an MSD street fire with a black cap and black MSD wires and that worked well. I have been told a lot of aftermarket distributors will not work with the Ram Air air cleaner. I am building a mild street driver 351C 4V. It will be 10-1 compression and mild cam and Edelbrock intake Holley carb and headers. Please let me know what you think would be the best choice, thanks.

A re-curved Duraspark distributor with a Daytona or MSD amp hidden behind the fender. The Pertronix wires look reasonably close to stock and have worked well for me. The Edelbrock RPM air gap intake seems to work well for most applications, Blue Thunder is another option that works well. The Hooker Comp headers fit well with little drama at installation. I would look to Quick Fuel carbs for maximum adjustability. Avoid any Holley that has "Avenger" or "Street HP" in it's name. I would look to Lykins Motorsports for a quasi-custom cam and quality lifters. Welcome to the Mustang world. Chuck

If you want a complete drop in electronic distributor that looks stock and fits under the Ram Air air cleaner, Pertronix makes one.

I got it from Summit racing:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d134620
This is the distributor I am running. Works fine with the factory tachometer and wiring.

Thanks to all for all of the great information, I appreciate the guidance. I didn't want to spend money only to find I would need to change later on in the project.

I put in a Pertronix Flame-Thrower and very satisfied. They do require a braded core spark plug wires.
And I matched their Coil ohm recommendations with an Accell Super Coil.
No more spark issues.

I am building a 351C 4V for my 71 Mach 1. The engine is still at the machine shop and I am looking to buy a distributor. I plan to add the Ram Air air cleaner and want to make sure I find a reliable electronic distributor option that will fit under the Ram Air and also will look somewhat stock. In my past restos, (which have been Camaros and Chevelles, new to Mustangs) I just installed an MSD street fire with a black cap and black MSD wires and that worked well. I have been told a lot of aftermarket distributors will not work with the Ram Air air cleaner. I am building a mild street driver 351C 4V. It will be 10-1 compression and mild cam and Edelbrock intake Holley carb and headers. Please let me know what you think would be the best choice, thanks.
I used a Motorcraft dual point. The breaker plate pivots on a bearing concentric with the axis of the shaft, unlike the single point which has a point of anchor 180 degrees from the vacuum diaphram anchor point on that plate. I then use the Pertronix conversion setup and I believe I used the stock looking Pertronix wires. I do have a 429CJ, but the distributors are interchangeable. I believe I used a D3OF distributor. Other than the shrink wrap on the primary wires You cannot tell it is an upgrade.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 13
Chris, are you running the Pertronix coil also?

Yes. I chose the black one and removed the Pertronix sticker and replaced with a Ford coil sticker.

Not a yellow top, but still stock looking.

20220102_073037a.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. I chose the black one and removed the Pertronix sticker and replaced with a Ford coil sticker.

Not a yellow top, but still stock looking.

View attachment 60378
Same here - and I painted the top of the coil yellow, now it's a yellow top ;)

Back