351c - Identify this part??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asusnz

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1 351C 2V FMX
Hello, wondering if anyone can identify exactly what the part I have circled in orange in the picture is? I know this block came from a 73 Mach 1 that had a manual transmission. I'm thinking the clutch is connected in some way here at a guess? The car had previously been crashed I recall seeing the front cross member pushed in on the drivers side before that engine came out. That might explain the thick washers. Would be interested what others think?

Last edited by a moderator:

that is the mount for the equalizer/Z bar on a manual trans linkage . . there will be another one on the frame that is adjustable in and out

Last edited by a moderator:
It is indeed a z bar mount, but. . . The 351 Cleveland cars I have seen used a bracket that bolted it to the back of the bellhousing. In earlier cars and perhaps some other models, the bar mount does thread into the block. I suspect a prior owner converted the car to a manual transmission and the washers were their method for getting the z bar mounted square and level.

Would be interesting to see some casting numbers. Thinking it would be an early 70 block if it was indeed a 351c.

That's interesting. The car that this block came from could very well have been converted from an auto to a manual transmission at some point. The block is a D0AE-L 4 bolt mains. What exactly should be there? Sounds like this was not the standard setup for a 71/73 Mustang with a manual trans?

That's interesting. The car that this block came from could very well have been converted from an auto to a manual transmission at some point. The block is a D0AE-L 4 bolt mains. What exactly should be there? Sounds like this was not the standard setup for a 71/73 Mustang with a manual trans?

Ok, the question is: what is the date code on the block. As we all know, any Cleveland block can be drilled and tapped for 4 bolt mains. It could have been a Boss block as some were know to be D0AE-L, or from another application, Who knows for sure!! I took a look at my Mach 1 factory 4 speed and a spare L block I have and that hole is tapped. I took some pictures of the in car position, if I can find a way to up-load them. What I can tell you is that the position of the fitting will NOT line up with the frame mount for the Z bar in a Mustang. The bracket required bolts to the back of the bell housing. If that position were to be used, the engine would sit way further back, like about 3 inches.

Geoff.

Seems I haven't figured out how to upload pictures yet. Sorry.

I have a 72 351 C that came from a mach and it has that same set up including the washers. 3 to be exact. I date coded my engine and it is a 72. Strange mine would also have 3 washers. The car it came out of was a manual from factory. Maybe these were sloppy and this was a known fix back in the day. I have seen stranger things. lol

Hello, wondering if anyone can identify exactly what the part I have circled in orange in the picture is? I know this block came from a 73 Mach 1 that had a manual transmission. I'm thinking the clutch is connected in some way here at a guess? The car had previously been crashed I recall seeing the front cross member pushed in on the drivers side before that engine came out. That might explain the thick washers. Would be interested what others think?
OK see if this helps. I added 2 pictures to the 71 mustang gallery under Stanglover. They show the bracket, Z bar and the tapped hole in question on the block. This is on my 71 Mach 1 factory 4 speed.

If your block has a correct positioning, then it is not a mustang as far as I can see. Maybe a Torino???? Just guessing now. I can stand correcting on this!!

Geoff.

That's great Stanglover those photos are useful. The block is stamped D0AE-L date code 0L16. The engine was pulled from a 73 Mach 1 though not original to that car. It had a Toploader connected to it but no tag was on it or any useful information externally to say what it is. Many of the parts on the engine were from different year Mustangs and was not setup in a factory standard way.

That block is at the machine shop at the moment when I popped in two days a go I noticed this part had been screwed in. I asked the engine builder why and he said that it was installed originally before cleaning up the block. I thought that it was an odd part to be there. Again Stanglover thanks for the photos worth more than a thousand words to me!

That's great Stanglover those photos are useful. The block is stamped D0AE-L date code 0L16. The engine was pulled from a 73 Mach 1 though not original to that car. It had a Toploader connected to it but no tag was on it or any useful information externally to say what it is. Many of the parts on the engine were from different year Mustangs and was not setup in a factory standard way.

That block is at the machine shop at the moment when I popped in two days a go I noticed this part had been screwed in. I asked the engine builder why and he said that it was installed originally before cleaning up the block. I thought that it was an odd part to be there. Again Stanglover thanks for the photos worth more than a thousand words to me!
Hi asusnz.

I did find a schematic of a clutch linkage on Google, that looks the same as the one you have. I googled "1973 mustang clutch parts", or something like that and found 'pictures of 1973 clutch parts' They were not the best, but 1 was clearly similar to yours and it was for a truck application and that makes more sense than if it were Mustang. Perhaps that's where the donor motor really came from, but was jerry-rigged into the Mustang. I admit I'm not too familiar with the 73's and I suppose it is possible that Ford may have changed things, but really unlikely. I guess that's my "cover my a**" statement!!

Did you say what you're putting the motor in? I'd be interested to see what you do eventually.

Glad the pictures helped. I just have to figure out how to upload and add to posts................ HELP anyone!!

That's a Nov 16th 1970 block you have there. I wish I had it for my Mach as it would be closer to being date correct. I too have engine woos. Also, my T/L has the vin consecutive # stamped on the top flange. If yours does, you can get an approx. date of when it was built...maybe. Kevin Marti's book " The Mustang and Cougar Tag book" list all the info you need.

Geoff.

Back