351C Starter heat shield

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
When I drive the car for awhile and shut it down then try to restart it soon after the starter doesn't turn over (as if there is a weak battery. If I wait until it is cold it starts right up. New starter, battery and ground cable. Mechanic thinks the starter is getting too hot and I need a heat shield. Did Ford make one for these cars/engines and does anyone have any other suggestions/thoughts

When I drive the car for awhile and shut it down then try to restart it soon after the starter doesn't turn over (as if there is a weak battery. If I wait until it is cold it starts right up. New starter, battery and ground cable. Mechanic thinks the starter is getting too hot and I need a heat shield. Did Ford make one for these cars/engines and does anyone have any other suggestions/thoughts
Could be heat soak or to much timing will cause a similar issue.

ah, the 351c hot start issue! 

I've camped with that for years. starter heat shield, headers wrapped, expensive plugs, more amps batt, new cables, different timing, all grounds really bare metal and extra grounds from block to body... they all helped, but remained been a prob.

It all went away when after I've installed a small high torque starter and added EFI. Tho I should say it went away for 99% of the time, as experienced last weekend, got it again. Starter was having hard time but thanks to EFI where all starts are a zillion times more easy than with a carb, a second key turn was enough. Much better than the 1/2 hour waiting with hood open of the past ;)

Hope you'll find a way to get around.

99% of starting issues have to do with bad cables and ground connections. Clean, tighten and replace them as needed before you go too deep. After 50 years, factory cable can be corroded internally and still look fine on the exterior. A new set from NPD or Ohio Mustang would be a great investment. Be 200% certain that the Battery->apron->block ground path is solid. 

It is probably for sure heat related. If you can find an old muffler exhaust heat shield off a newer car that you can form up and add I would try. Nothing Ford added back in the day. I put headers on a Ford van and after doing that had heat issue with the starter. If in heavy traffic or sitting and turn it off no way to start had to let it cool.

Back