351C vs 429

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endroman

Reaction score
I need to currently rebuild my 351C. An offer came across the table to possibly buy a 429 that's already completed. Is this possible, lot of things I need to change to fit? So far I am reading that motor mounts, some of the lines won't line up? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a few things to the swap but the parts are available. You'll need a different transmission for the big block belhousing, exhaust manifolds/headers, mounts..... ideally small hands

If you go for the 429 and want non original headers, I suggest you install them while the engine is "in place" but not bolted on the engine mounts.

The space around the engine is extremely limited vs a 351 and to be able to lift the engine just a bit eases the process a lot!

If you use FPA headers for the 429 you can put them on before you stab the engine.

Weight is a big deal but the 429 can be trimmed down to be in the neighborhood of an all iron Cleveland.

The closed course speed record was set by 351 cleveland and still stands today. Not the 429 or even the 429 Boss, not a 426 Hemi. More or less the 351 C Australian block with screw in core plugs. They are not freeze plugs nothing to do with freezing.

The 429 will cost more to build from scratch and also more to keep going good. If it came with 429 then ok but the 351 C is very tough to beat.

Well I say that I will never take the 429 engine..! Because of how the power of the 351 Cleveland! My own Cleveland was stroked to 408" [emoji41][emoji8] That power is intense! My friend ho build it says it is much better engine! He has had a 429 engine in a long time! But has now build his own Cleveland as he will never go back [emoji41][emoji106] Regards Lars

Sendt fra min F8331 med Tapatalk

Back