351w vs 351c

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertable
Isn't a Win a 2 bolt crank against Cleve being a 4 bolt ?

When I was looking for my Green monster I kept looking for a Cleve (took me 2 darn years btw) ...why? ... I was told very simply it was a stronger better engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Clevelands are stronger, and the head design produces more high-end horsepower. Aftermarket heads for the Windsor even out the playing field, somewhat.

Only 351C Boss and CJ (Q code) came with 4-bolt mains, although all 351Cs can be converted to 4-bolt mains on all 5 mains. Only the 3 middle mains on 351Ws can be converted to 4-bolts.

And then there's the mystique of 351 Clevelands.

Cleveland! Yes please!!

At the machine shop getting freshened as we speak.

4 bolt thank you!

Ordered cam, and some goodies today!

Ordering pistons in the next few days, expect to have shortblock parts and heads back in about a month. I hope.

68d46edffcf7617e09f6ba362bee0276.jpg
765bca92e40d1eeea20d32a04ba6dd35.jpg
17d90bc30555d9e065748117f2db55c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland was a heck of an engine, but with the aftermarket support of the Windsor and extinction and cost of Cleveland....tough call

Cleveland! Yes please!!

At the machine shop getting freshened as we speak.

4 bolt thank you!

Ordered cam, and some goodies today!

Ordering pistons in the next few days, expect to have shortblock parts and heads back in about a month. I hope.

68d46edffcf7617e09f6ba362bee0276.jpg
765bca92e40d1eeea20d32a04ba6dd35.jpg
17d90bc30555d9e065748117f2db55c2.jpg

Looks like someone filled in the intake ports on those heads or are they 2-V or Ausie heads? I have seen epoxy in them before. These had both intake and exhaust filled in. Was at Charlotte swap meet couple years ago.

Yes, they have been epoxied to match up to the SVO Roush hi port single plane picture in the picture

I have to raise an eyebrow towards those sawed-off main studs. Overall, it appears that the previous builder added a bit of performance oriented components, but purchasing the correct length main stud kit was beyond his best efforts....oh well. Oil pan got the "ball-peen" clearancing treatment too. Intake looks a bit sketchy to me, with all that grinding at the carb flange. I don't mean to nit-pick, just seeing what I'm seeing. Happy for you that you finally found your Cleveland engine! They're great engines.

Latest posts

Back