3rd member install recommendations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to let the shop that did my 3rd also do my rear bearings.  Supposed to pick them up tomorrow.  Also getting new Spicer ujoints from OReilly's tomorrow.   Hopefully, I'll put everything back together this weekend.   I still need to order a new slip yoke when I figure out a source.  I asked the gear shop guy about the slip yoke, which he referred me to a driveshaft guy way on the other side of town.  Apparently, he's also the only one around that does balancing.   He also said there should be a plug in the end of the slip yoke to prevent oil seepage.  I don't remember there being one when I remove it.   Is there supposed to be one?

Yep, the u-joint end of the yoke should be plugged.  I didn't notice that in the photos until you mentioned it.  I use Denny's for my drive line parts. https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c121_transmission_slip_yokes.html  There are many others but I've had good service from Denny's.

Looks like those yokes are in high demand!  If you can find a drive shaft out of a 5-speed Fox Mustang, it looks like they use the same yoke as the 28-spline top loader.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back