4 SPEED AUTO - IS THERE A AFTERMARKET

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

tricksixtyfive

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
351c fmx trans, 2013 kona blue pearl
Is there a aftermarket 4 speed auto to replace my 3 speed c6, I can't find anything out there and I tried searching the threads so sorry if this is a redundant post. please help..

Mister 4x4

Too Big to Sneak
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Yes - AOD, AODE, and 4R70W will fit.  I have an AOD in mine, and several others have gone the same route, as well as AODE, and 4R70W.

You'll need to get a conversion kit, or collect all the parts needed to make it work - it's not tough, not too expensive, and works well when done right.

I was lucky - Mine came straight out of a running '89 5.0 Mustang (the guy drove it into the shop, swapped it for a T-5, and literally gave me the AOD with all the 'automatic' parts that went with it).  All I had to buy basically a new flexplate and output shaft to mate up to my factory drive shaft.

This site was helpful for me when looking up parts I needed: https://transmissioncenter.org/product-category/ford/

Hope that helps!

tricksixtyfive

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
351c fmx trans, 2013 kona blue pearl
AOD, AODE, and 4R70W will fit.  I have an AOD in mine, and several others have gone the same route, as well as AODE, and 4R70W.

You'll need to get a conversion kit, or collect all the parts needed to make it work - it's not tough, not too expensive, and works well when done right.

I was lucky - Mine came straight out of a running '89 5.0 Mustang (the guy drove it into the shop, swapped it for a T-5, and literally gave me the AOD with all the 'automatic' parts that went with it).  All I had to buy basically a new flexplate and output shaft to mate up to my factory drive shaft.

This site was helpful for me when looking up parts I needed: https://transmissioncenter.org/product-category/ford/

Hope that helps!
Yes Perfect

:thankyouyellow: