4 speed toploader backup switch connection

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

MooseStang

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q-code Vert
My backup lights are not working, and considering the multitude of un-connected wires and hoses I've found so far, I'm highly suspicious of the backup light also being disconnected.

Where is the connection to the wiring harness?  Can I get to it from inside the car,  under the shifter boot?

midlife

Shorts checker
Reaction score
My Car
No Mustangs at the moment.
The harness connects to a four pin plug on the firewall area to the area behind the motor; it contains the backup lights and the bypassed neutral safety switch.  Backup lights are black/red (outgoing) and white/purple (incoming power).

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
The switch itself connect to the back of the shifter and is pushed into a metal clip ring which also acts as an adjuster for position. I guess you already know this but.....

IMG_0819_L2.jpg

IMG_0821_L2.jpg

MooseStang

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q-code Vert
Yeah, I had partially crawled (slithered) underneath previously, the switch is there and appears to be depressing correctly.
What I could not see, is the wiring and the connection.

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Yeah, I had partially crawled (slithered) underneath previously, the switch is there and appears to be depressing correctly.
What I could not see, is the wiring and the connection.
SOMEWHERE!! I have that pic, but can't find it right now. I have hundreds of pics!! I take another look and post if I find it. Failing that I too could slither under the car and take another pic.

Hemikiller

Tech Advisors
Staff member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
65 coupe
You can see the harness in this pic. There's a retainer clip that bolts under the bellhousing bolt. 

toploader_shifter_wiring.jpg

MooseStang

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q-code Vert
Good pic, thanks.   Reminds me I also need to find a reverse lock-out rod.