429/460 setup advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opethlike

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Hi all,

Just wanted a quick opinion here. Trying to create a "shopping list" for my mach 1 restoration and finding my knowledge of cam lift/duration, springs, intake and carb setup not really good enough to make a choice. If anyone here is experienced with this setup in a mach 1, could you give me an idea of what I should be looking at?

This is going in a 1973 Mach 1.

It needs to run on pump gas

I have a good setup of DOVE-C heads and a 429/460 low mileage block already, (have a 429 crank, i assume i want to find a 460 crank?)

c6 transmission

Goal of the car is a ballsy driver. I dont really want to say "hey i want 600hp!", i would rather lean more on reliability/driveability/safety than raw hp. That said, i wouldn't be putting a big block in here if i didnt want it to be quick :), im just of the opinion i can get more hp out of the big block for less money (plus i already have one). Want it to sound good too.

So, what would you go with?

Cam:

Intake:

Carb:

Pistons (apparently I need to run dish type for pump gas? is this right?):

Is there any specific specs I need to let a machinist know reguarding getting the heads rebuilt?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

Just wanted a quick opinion here. Trying to create a "shopping list" for my mach 1 restoration and finding my knowledge of cam lift/duration, springs, intake and carb setup not really good enough to make a choice. If anyone here is experienced with this setup in a mach 1, could you give me an idea of what I should be looking at?

I have a good setup of DOVE-C heads and a 429/460 low mileage block already, (have a 429 crank, i assume i want to find a 460 crank?)

c6 transmission

Goal of the car is a ballsy driver. I dont really want to say "hey i want 600hp!", i would rather lean more on reliability/driveability/safety than raw hp. That said, i wouldn't be putting a big block in here if i didnt want it to be quick :), im just of the opinion i can get more hp out of the big block for less money (plus i already have one). Want it to sound good too.

Cam:

Intake:

Carb:

Is there any specific specs I need to let a machinist know reguarding getting the heads rebuilt?

Thanks in advance.
Cheap route:

Stock 460 rotating assembly with dished (bathtub) pistons. Can be either internal or external balance.

When having machine work done on block have the deck cut so the piston is as near zero deck as possible. With the small chamber D0VE heads you will have around 9.5:1 compression. Heads should be reconditioned with good parts, screw in studs and guide plates and springs to match cam. The crane conversion kit could be used to lower head reconditioning costs.

The Lunati 219/227 VooDoo hydraulic cam is the largest I would use with stock heads and converter. It will have a slight lope at idle but plenty of vacuum for power brakes. If you want more lope have it custom ground on a tighter LSA. A 2500 rpm stall converter ups the fun factor when using an auto trans.

Either an Edelbrock Performer or Edelbrock Performer RPM intake depending on available hood clearance and where you want peak power.

Quick Fuel 780VS carb if auto trans is used. If manual a Quick Fuel SS-750-AN mechanical secondary carb would be my choice.

Properly setup distributor advance curve. A Duraspark works fine.

This will make an easy 400-425 horsepower on pump gas with at least as much torque and be low maintenance and reliable.

Hi all,

c6 transmission

Cam:

Intake:

Carb:

Thanks in advance.

well your power comes from your heads so it depends how much you want to spend on them getting them ported etc..

bigger valves would help

small diameter springs, light weight undercut valves and titanium retainers will help.

maybe around a comp xe284h hydraulic non roller cam if you port the heads.

open plenum intake if you use the 284 cam and ported heads.

460 crank.

arp rod bolts.

quick fuel 750 annular booster vacuum secondary ss style carb.

around 3.40 - 3.50 rear gears depending on trans and tire size.

iur

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the middle of removing my 351c to swap my stroked 429 engine into my 73 Mach 1. If you go to the link im posting on page 5 is my drivetrain build thread. I think I am going a little overkill but im building for very high torque not horsepower. But a lot of the stuff I have listed on my parts list can be done to the stock 429 block and heads. My stroker kit mixed with my custom made thick head gaskets if all calculations were done correctly by my machine shop and myself should put my compression ration on my dish pistons somewhere at 10.5:1, otherwise it would have went over 11 if it weren't for the custom head gaskets.

New engine should be in the car and running hopefully by end of December.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-intro?page=5

2cpfbsh.jpg

I have a similar build waiting on a stand:

- Mid '70's stock, dished piston Lincoln 460 bottom end

- C9VE closed chamber heads with stainless valves, stock size, quick port cleanup

- Harland Sharp roller rockers

- Mild Lunati Bracket Master hydro flat tappet cam (#00096)

- Edelbrock Performer (not RPM) intake

- Holley 3310, 750cfm carb

Not big $$ involved, built for streetability.

Barring any major whoopsies, I feel it should last forever.

Unfortunately haven't run it yet to give performance feedback.

When I did mine the first thing you will find is the motor mounts won't fit. Crites performance products, Ashville Ohio has the mounts. Then in my engine, first was the pistons of course, mine came with new flat tops so I left them. I then went with a comp cams big mutha thumper, hyd lifters, roller rockers and ford PI heads edelbrock performer intake and 850 double pumper. Now the cam is maybe alittle over kill, But damn does it sound good. I think the mutha thumper, not BIG mutha thumper would have been sufficient. Next the roller rockers will require longer studs but they are common to find as they are actually chevy studs. Then pushrods had to be changed in length to work proper geometry with rollers, still not a problem from comp cams and reasonable price. now for the heads, I purchased a set of police intersepters at the all ford swap meet in Columbus ohio for 375.00, then took them to a shop and had them magnafluxed and found a hairline crack between 2 chambers, fixed that for 100.00 then brought them home and ported myself. Heres the funny part the reason I stuck my nose in here is that I hooked up with scotty,Alias The mad porter, Alias Reincarnation performance..When it comes to head work and espeacilly 429-460 he is the man. On his site you can join for a one time fee and he will give directions on how to port your heads. Anyhow I don't know what I have yet for sure but it will run ok on pump gas but give it some 100 octane leaded aviation gas and you just smile. Now I just gotta get painted and going, oh and I have had it out on the road a few times and traction is at this point a problem. anyhow you'll love the torq and theres no mistaking the bigblock sound. Wishing you luck. P.s. police intersepter heads are what edelbrock used as a pattern for theres only in aluminum.

Back